Home Buying in San Mateo>Question Details

Jessicachen7…, Home Buyer in San Mateo County, CA

San Mateo Eichlers and ROI

Asked by Jessicachen716, San Mateo County, CA Fri Jul 13, 2012

Hello! I'm very interested in the San Mateo Eichlers! Especially the ones close to 280... However, I am concerned about resale value as the homes don't seem to be everyone's "cup of tea" so to speak. Am I imagining this? What is the general resale value of these homes and do they maintain their value over time? Thanks in advance.

Hi Jessica,

You are right, that not everyone appreciates the Eichler Homes. However, this particular area has always been high in demand. My office handles a huge percentage of the listings in the Highlands and often times have listings that are not in the public MLS. We have two of those at the moment.
The Highlands is not only known for the good schools, but also the tranquil space surrounding the neighborhood, the sense of community there, and Highlands Park that has year round activities and a swimming pool.
If you would like further information, or I can be of assistance, please contact me. I am always happy to help!
Diane Mollison, Realtor
Coldwell Banker-San Mateo-Downtown
People either love them or hate them. Regardless of that fact, they appreciate well just like other properties.

There is actually a club of " Eichler" lovers. They like to keep the integrity of the Eichler look where others like to make modifications.

You're right. Not everyone likes the Eichler look, but luckily, there seems to be enough people out that do like them to keep the demand pretty high.

Those up in the San Mateo Highlands (close to 280) are doubly blessed to be in a great location and to have what most buyers consider good schools.

In my opinion, that particular area (I like to call it Eichlerville) does retain it's value quite well. In fact, I just pulled the stats up there and there have been 10 sales in the last 90 days. The average sale price during that time is $1,070,880 with and average marketing time of 34 days. So, the value has certainly held strong and the demand is there.

If you'd like to full statistical picture up there, contact me through my profile and I'll email all the numbers to you. The highlands is one of my favorite places:)
I have never spoken to an Appraiser about it, but, yes, Clients seem to "dis" the flat-tops:
There no snow in San Mateo; it just seems to be their opinion.
I can just imagine that an Appraiser would gravitate toward other Eichlers for Comp's,
which means that it might be a little hard to do Comp's on one.

If you don't care, and you plan on living there a long time; I would suggest not worrying about the discount on an Eichler. Do what feels good to you.