Home Buying in Newton>Question Details

Alex, Home Buyer in Braintree, MA

Salvage Yard

Asked by Alex, Braintree, MA Mon Aug 3, 2009

I am interested in a property in Newtonville. However it is, not right next to, but fairly close to a salvage yard in Maguire Ct./Crafts St. I am wondering 1) how serious will the noise issue be? and 2) how big an adverse impact there is for future resale?

Answers

4
The Newton Board of Alderman just voted down putting a commercial fueling station at that location (Newton's Crafts St Garage) for city vehicles - namely snow plows amongst others. One of the Aldermen particularly mentioned that there was no thought in how putting in these underground tanks will sit with the abutting neighbors. The majority won this time. (Plus funding of this project would have represented approx 25% of the city's annual capital project bonding budget). Perhaps look elsewhere in Newton, to be safe.
Janet
I am not sure how close to the salvage lot you are referring to, but the location you are talking about in Newtonville is a great spot! Walk to Whole Foods, quick access to I-90, basically in the center of things. If you are looking for a greener spot, you may want to look south of Beacon St.
Dear Alex,

I do not know about a salvage yard but I do know that there is an auto body repair shop on Maguire Court that I have taken my cars to for years. That area is a mixed used residence where there are a lot of businesses as well as some residences. A mixed use residence affects the value of the home but it is usually
represented in the asking price. I would go to Newton City Hall and find out what the "zoning code" is for the street and what that code represents. You can also go to the Building Department and inquire about the area.

As far as the noise value, that is a personnel decision that only you can answer by your own investigation. When noise is involved it can be a very negative factor in the sale of a home. But again the price of the home can reflect that factor and make it very attractive to a buyer.

I hope this helps.

Yours truly,

Nancy Comenitz
Nancy Comenitz Real Estate
Hi Alex,
I'd recommend two things ... first, try to be at the location at morning, afternoon and evening time. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... music to some, noise to others. I'd be sure to check for yourself to ensure that you are satisfied with the result - definitely don't depend on a third party opinion (this is from someone who once had a train in the backyard - it's not noisy after the first week :)).

Resale can be tested by looking at comparable sales. Look at recent sales of similar homes ... did they sell for more or less? If you cannot find similar homes to this (in the same general area), look at other sales near your prospective home and find com parables for it ... this will help you determine the percentage difference.

Let me know if you want any help. Best of luck!

Mike
http://www.MikeHughesTeam.com