Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

Joce, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

Safe, family-friendly areas/neighborhoods in Charlotte, NC? (House budget around $140-150K)

Asked by Joce, Charlotte, NC Thu Mar 21, 2013

Relocating from Denver, CO to Charlotte, NC. We have 2 elementary school aged boys and are trying to find a safe, family-friendly neighborhood or area with reputable schools. Suggestions? Thanks!

Hello Joce,

You might like the University area or Harrisburg or Concord area. Here is a link to a discussion about home values in the University area.

Of course, there are a multitude of areas that are attractive that you could call home. I think the Charlotte police force does a great job of protecting the citizens. Crime can be found in the most obscure areas of the country. I do have some general guiding principles in selecting a house that will make you less likely to be a target of crime.

There are many small towns surrounding Charlotte that are very inviting. Your selection of a home will depend on what kind of lifestyle, budget, and proximity to work that you want. Let me know if you want my help.

Wishing you success in The South,
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 22, 2013
Hi Joce - You will love Charlotte - hopefully, you will not miss snow! I wish that I could give you a list of safe, family-friendly neighborhoods here in Charlotte. I also wish that I could tell you which schools are "reputable". Unfortunately, no Realtor can answer these questions for you! We are bound by Federal Fair Housing Laws and cannot, under these laws, discuss with clients the safety of an area, the type of folks that live in the neighborhood, or even if we think any particular school, or school system is good or bad. So, you must be thinking, how can we help you.

An experienced Buyer Agent will ask you th questions that will help create a list of potential homes in neighborhoods that meet your criteria. The criteria we CAN work with are price range, number of bedrooms/baths, neighborhood amenites you seek, proximity to your workplace, school zone that YOU have identified, proximity to recreation & shopping.

The due diigence that buyers must do for themselves are looking into schools and checking out area crime. There are a lot of great schools in Charlotte. Make sure that you check out the Magnet Programs as well. When you come here to look for homes, the best way for you to gauge whether or not you like a neighborhood is for you to get out, walk the neighborhood & talk to the neighbors - they will tell you everything!!

Some websites that will help you are:

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/ - Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools

http://findgoodschool.com/schools-list-by-county/37119-magne… - List of Magnet Schools - click on the schools/progams that interest you.

http://www.ncschoolreportcard.org/ - statistical/demographic info on schools

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CMPD/safety/CrimeMap/Page… - Charlotte Police Dept Crime Mapping site

Best success with your move!

Kathleen Turner, ABR, CRS, ePro, Certified Paralegal
The Kathleen Turner Realty Group
she is lying through her teeth, how do they relocate the chinese, russians, swedish her kind in the best neighboorhoods in the u.s corporations and not in the ghettos if the come from other countries???
Flag Thu Oct 9, 2014
Good morning, Joce:
There are a lot of solid neighborhoods in the greater Charlotte area where you can find a decent home and neighborhood. Since school reputation is important to you, you may want to review the Trulia Real Estate blog: What are the best Schools in Charlotte?. There are some detailed suggestions about public, private, charter and magnet schools there. If you have a full time agent with a Masters degree in Planning with Finance and over two decades of experience, working for you, you will likely do better in negotiations. I'd be pleased to provide that service. If you appreciate this answer, please give it a thumbs up, or if this was the most helpful answer, please say thanks with a best answer click.

I moved here seven years ago with my family and had two elementary school children adn one middle school child at the time. I understand your dilemna and wantign the best for you and yoru family in the price point you are looking in.

Charlotte I found is a very diversified community and offers a little of everything in terms of living. You can be in the city limits of Charlotte and feel like you are in suburb of the city and drive ten minutes and be in the heart of the city.

Also we have older homes and newer homes mostly in subdivisons scattered througout Charlotte. Based on your budget depedngn on what additionally you are looking for in a home you will have a wide selection of homes to chose from that already would meet your criteria.

The best advice anyone of us can give you is to contact one of us and let us gather a little more information as to what you are looking ofr in a home and maybe commute time and find you a house that will fit yoru criteria.

Feel free to either e-mail me back at ddicecco@cbunited.com or call me at 704-519-7895.

Dave diCecco
Coldwell Banker United
Hi Joce,

Welcome to Charlotte! I believe you will really like it here. We relocated from No VA over 23 years ago.

There are many neighborhoods that would qualify. We live in South Charlotte and raised 3 girls here in some of the best schools in Charlotte.

Please contact me at 704-443-8627 or email me at ArrieroRealty@gmail.com; or visit our website: http://www.PropertiesinCharlotte.com. I would love to help you with your move to Charlotte. It always helps to have someone on your side that has been there!

Debbie Arriero
Serving the Charlotte area since 1990
Licensed in North & South Carolina

Arriero Realty, Inc.
P.O. Box 77283
Charlotte, NC 28271
Office: 704-443-8627
Hello Joce,

I would love to help you with your home search! Call me or email me and I will be more than glad to help make the transition a smooth one for you and your family!

Hi Joce!

Welcome to Charlotte! Email me directly with a bit more information about your move. Charlotte is a very fragmented/spread out city, so let me know a bit more about the lifestyle/community type you want, as well as if you will need to be near a certain area. Will you need to be close to work, and if so, where is it located?

Hope to help!

John Siddons
Hi Joce,

There are many options that would meet your criteria. I would love to talk to you and discuss what you and your family like to do and what areas you are considering. If you are not familiar with your options I can give you a quick rundown, the length of commute you are willing to endure will also limit your areas. Feel free to call anytime, 704-619-3971.

Michael Laine