Home Buying in Poly High>Question Details

Laura, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

Safe and Affordable Areas to Purchase Home in Long Beach

Asked by Laura, Los Angeles, CA Sat Apr 5, 2008

I'm just beginning a search for a home in Long Beach. I'm looking for a single family home that needs some TLC so that I can remodel it to my own specifications (for my husband and I to live in, not re-sell). I'm looking for a 3 bedroom (or 2 bed study), minimum 1.75 bath home. I have three questions:

1) Is my pre-qualified price limit of $375,000 after renovations reasonable?

2) Are there any areas in the 90805 zip code that are safer and less crime-ridden than the norm?

3) Is the area near Silverado Park relatively safe (in comparison to other areas of the west side)?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Answers

12
Hi Laura,

A year ago you would be stuck with the Silverado Park (West Side) area, or North Long Beach (90807) with your price range.

Today there are many options. Are you familiar with Wrigley. It's an area full of charming, older homes on larger lots, just east of the west side, but safer & more likely to increase in value. There are a few here that fit your criteria.

Are you familiar with Crest Gardens? It's a nice little pocket of homes between Lakewood & North Long Beach.

How about the Circle Area. It's on the eastside with many nice, affordable homes &icentrally located in Long Beach.

How about Imperial Estates. This is a pocket just east of Lakewood known for spacious yet lower priced homes. There are even a few that fit your criteria in Country Club Manor, which is adjacent to Bixby Knolls, the houses are a little smaller & less spectacular here.

I would avoid the Poly High area. The school is great, but the area is not.

Laura, the areas I've mentioned all have 3 bedroom, minimim 1.5 bath homes in your range. Please contact me if you'd like to have me email these listings or if you'd like to talk more about Long Beach. It's a great place to live!

Best of luck,

Karen Miller
562-756-4144
In my opinion your best value is Wrigley and that's that!
Laura,
Long Beach is my area. Please contact me if you haven't found the property you are searching for. We have plenty in the area.
Charita King 562-276-8681
Truth Bob,

I looked at the first 75 murders of this year on your website. 2 were in Long Beach. There were also 2 in Santa Monica, Cypress, & San Fernando. Not surprising there were larger numbers of murders in Compton, South Central, jPomona, Highland Park, Hollywood & Baldwin Park. Did you look at the "map". Let's be fair here. While Long Beach has it's problems, it is certainly not more dangerous than the rest of L.A. County or Orange County.
Long beach is a dump. Check out the latimes murder map. Also refered to as the do not move here map.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/crime/homicidemap/?source=…
long beach is an over priced dump
Hi Laura,

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kren Miller
Hi Karen,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. We're not quite ready to start looking at houses, as we're only planning to move later in the year. But, I will certainly contact you and the others who responded to my post when we're truly ready to look.

We spent all day Sunday exploring the neighborhoods (not going inside open houses, just scoping out the areas). We did find Wrigley to be very appealing. And, it is very close to where we work—we are looking forward to moving to Long Beach and not commuting. Thank you for the suggestions on other neighborhoods that might have little pockets of homes in our price range.

We'll be in touch as the timing becomes right to get searching for the homes that are available.

Thanks again!

Laura
Laura,

A good way to check out the different neighborhoods of Long Beach/Lakewood area is to start some searches with your criteria and see what comes up. Just go to loubandb.com and register and you can input all of your wants and needs that you are looking for in your new home. Everyday you will get a list of properties that match your criteria, you can then go through all the details, pictures and remarks and get a better feel for the prices and the inventory.

Remember you can start as many searches as you want, it's a convenient way to get vital information. Of course, if you need additional information on any of the properties that come to you, please do not hesitate to email me or call me at 562-879-9677.

Lou McNamee
Coldwell Banker
Web Reference: http://www.loubandb.com
Thank you both for your responses. We're just getting started here, and are trying to figure out the neighborhoods in Long Beach. I will definitely be in touch as we get ready to start a search in earnest for homes.
Laura,

Hi, the areas I concentrate most are in Lakewood/Long Beach. I would be more than happy to try to answer any of your questions and please feel free to check out my website or email me for more information. My email address is loubandb@ca.rr.com

As far as your price range goes, there are quite a number of properties that you could consider. 90805 may be a stretch, but Long Beach and Lakewood do have some great homes on the market for you to check out.
Web Reference: http://www.loubandb.com
Right now, even little "cracker box" houses in the safe neighborhoods are now going for the high 60's and above. Even the 'TLC" homes.
Try shopping up and down Bellflower in the Lakewood/Long Beach adjacent area. The schools are still decent (Long Beach District or ABC) and I've seen a lot of ranch homes sitting there waiting for sale for the past 5 or 6 months.
My Dad is a Poly High Grad who works as an agent/broker in the area and he's good with clients who are working on a tight budget or looking for fixer-uppers- give him a call and see what he says- at the very least he can keep an eye out for what you're looking for. :-) His name is Andy Hale and his cell is 562-896-3627.