Home Buying in Arroyo Grande>Question Details

James Hayes, Home Buyer in Arroyo Grande, CA

Right now I am leasing 5 acres that is a horse boarding ranch. I am intrested in buy the property. The problem is it has never been permited for this

Asked by James Hayes, Arroyo Grande, CA Mon May 21, 2012

It has boarded horses there since the 70's. How hard and how expencive would it be to get the proper permits to do this

Help the community by answering this question:


Dear James,
Changing permitted uses is a difficult and time consuming process, but it can be done and is done often. It is easier to persuade the city for the zoning change if it benefits their "plan" for land use. It seems that since the property has been used this way for so many years, that you should get a favorable response just for that fact alone. You might also discuss this with your neighbors. If they do not object, that will help you in your quest.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012
I would need to find out a lot more information before giving you any advise. As you are probably aware the county will ask you to meet their criteria. I would love to speak with you further regarding this matter and to perhaps explore other properties that would fit your needs. Call or email me anytime: 805 709-4152 Alec@century21.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 21, 2012
I would be happy to help you with this, but I would need to provide confidential information. Please call me at 805-471-0828. David Norwood - Central Coast Real Estate. David@Dnorwood.com
Web Reference: http://dnorwood.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 21, 2012
This is a much more complicated question to answer adequately than you're apt to get on a forum such as this. Yes, you can check with the county now but that might raise a red flag to them which could commence an enforcement action against the current use.

Or you could enter into a purchase agreement with the owner which is subject to the operation becoming permitted. Or you might try to get the price discounted if you assume the liability for the lack of permit.

There are other variations, but I would strongly advise against having discussions about unpermitted operations on a public forum. You never know who's taking notes.

Please feel free to let me know if you'd like to look into your options in more detail.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 21, 2012
Hi James,

You'll have to contact the city and county.

Best regards,

Elva A. Wormley
C2 Financial Corporation
2845 Moorpark Avenue, Suite 209
San Jose, CA 95128
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 21, 2012
Now, that was the perfect, honest answer, that some how was to difficult to answer for Michael Byrd, Broker,due to secrecy, and who might be watching.City of Arroyo Grande is very easy to work with. I had a very honest easy time with AG city.. Any time someone is warning you.. "strongly advise against having discussions about unpermitted operations on a public forum".
Do not trust them.I have had nightmare's with real estate agents and there strong advise.I have also seen this one agent allow a senior to be abused. Seems all the right answers again came from Out of town brokers. Never trust this county agents. Get a lawyer or an out of town broker.. Like Elva..
Flag Fri Jan 4, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer