Newton_home_…, Home Buyer in 02466

Resale value because unit is on Busy street...Commonwealth avenue in Newton MA

Asked by Newton_home_buyer, 02466 Sun Jun 13, 2010

Hi, I see two townhouses listed for sale(2237/2269) in Commonwealth Avenue in Newton. There is a small service road that is between these condo'sand commonwealth avenue. ( This complex is about 20-30 ft from Comm ave..). Would being close to such a busy road will affect resale value/resale process ?

Answers

8
I agree as to the different villages, but the education system in Newton, like Brookline, Lexington, Needham, Dover, Wayland and Weston are all excellent and there is a premium for that. But the taxes in Newton and Needham are lower than the others.

I also see many people buy homes in these communities and then send their children to private schools, which we are fortunate to have many excellent ones close by as well.
I was simply givingy personal belief and a respectful take on the city. It is nice however like you said value is in the eye of the beholder and I am sharing a personal view that might be helpful. I observed enormous class sizes and several other problems within the schools that seem to be getting worse however they are glossed over to try to hold on to a reputation that Newton has that is somewhat outdated in my view. The education system is good but not great just my opinion. A motivated child can succeed in several school systems. Also Newton has many villages from Nonantum to Newtonville...etc and there are several great affordable homes in certain areas. Just making an observation. Thanks.
Faraseen,

Value is in the eye of the beholder, some people find main streets attractive others want lots of land.

Change is good, but Newton still has excellent schools, transportation, and a great commuting location no matter where you are headed.

All towns have or will have to have overrides in order to maintain the quality of the community, from education, infrastructure, police and fire departments. All of which are excellent in Newton and the taxes are a bargain compared to many other municipalities that one may consider.

Fortunately Newton also has a broader tax base than most, as it has some of the countries most desired Malls, two colleges, many office building and parks.

Newton also has had one of the most stable home values in the Country, year in year out. It is an excellent time to buy with these below market interest rates, which are allowing many to get into this community that may not of been able to years ago.

It is not for everyone, and depending on what is important to your perceived values there are many other excellent communities.
The houses around comm Ave tend to be overpriced because of the allure of living along comm ave but it really is overrated in my opinion. I would say Newton as a whole has changed over the years. Its become reliant upon tax overrides and other antics to maintain higher standards but having lived there for 12 years I would say its a town in decline. Don't pay more for perceived value that might not really be there.
Auburndale is a great commuter village in Newton within an easy walk to The Commuter station on Auburn St and/or the Riverside T station. The shops and schools are an easy walk from this location on Commonwealth Ave. Every property has its' positive and negative features but with the shortage of inventory and the surging demand I would predict that your home will sell. Appropriate pricing, good neutral colors and a home that has been staged and free of clutter will sell in Newton no matter where it is. People love this town.
The subject property has always been in demand because of its location.

Louis

Representing Greater Boston's Finest Builders and Communities - Brookline, Dover, Needham, Newton, Wellesley and Weston
Web Reference: http://www.LouisWolfson.com
I own one of the end unit townhouses in the complex.
I have installed good windows and doors and do not hear the noise from Comm ave.
Also End unit townhouses (2259 and 2269) are further away from Comm ave than other units.
Overall, I think Chatham Village Complex offers a great value. You are right next to Auburndale Park, and close to both major highways (90 and 95). Burr and Williams are some of the best elementary schools in Newton. I wouldn't worry that much about resale values. Although realtors may have a better answer.
Remember if it is currently occupied, someone didn't care about the busy road. If it is a good deal, people compromise.