Chad Rogner, Home Buyer in Malta, NY

Resale value,Basement vs no basement Upstate NY(saratoga springs)

Asked by Chad Rogner, Malta, NY Wed Feb 20, 2013

I live in saratoga springs NY. I'm looking at a house that has no basement. Just a crawl space. I've rarely ever heard of anyone in NY not having a basement. Does or would anyone have an idea of what the value difference would be on 2 exact homes with vs without an full basement. The house i'm currently looking at only has a crawl space under it. Also if everyone could give me your opinion if you'd buy a house without a basement or not
Thanks!

Answers

5
An appraisal would generally come in much less on a home with a crawl space than it would on a home with a basement. Without a full basement you are losing storage space. Your utilities, which are usually in the basement (ie; hot water heater, furnace, electric panel) all then move into space within the home itself causing you to lose actual living space. If you are still looking for a home, or more advice, please feel free to contact me via the information on my agent profile. Thank you.
I'd love to help you out, contact me through my Trulia profile.
We have a crawl space, not a basement, used for storage only. When we moved in, my husband dug it out, so you can stand up. If interested, our house is for sale in Wilton.
Chad,
Some people like basements, others do not. Running wiring and plumbing with a crawl space is much easier than a house on a slab. Houses that have nice dry basements that can be finished off, sell for more than homes that don't have that additional living space. Having a crawl space that can be used for storage is nice and with as many stone basements as we have here, that really can't be turned into family rooms, there is not much difference between a stone basement or crawl space.
Leslie
Hi Chad,

These answers are typically ones that your buyer's agent can help you with. Working with a buyer's agent does not cost you a penny on any listed property. When you work with a buyer's agent, he or she will do a full market analysis on any property you are interested in and all those questions can be answered.

I would be happy to work with you and answer your questions, but I'd need to know the exact property location (as location always matters) and have you contact me directly. Why don't you email me and we can chat? I'm available 8am-8pm every day of the week and am a Certified Buyer's Representative in the area.

As for your last question, personally, my husband is an engineer. We would never buy a home as our primary residence that has a crawl space, but that's because my husband is an engineer, lol. Everything needs to be over-engineered for him. However, that doesn't mean that we wouldn't buy a second home, a rental/investment property, or a camp that had a crawl space and it's different strokes for different folks. I know many people who wouldn't care. :)

Hope this helps!
~Tori Romeo
NYS Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Certified Buyer Representative
Bliss Properties of NY
tori@blisspropertiesofny.com
518-788-8865