Home Buying in Fort Collins>Question Details

Anonymous Us…, Home Buyer in Fort Collins, CO

Resale perspective: High Ceiling or extra loft?

Asked by Anonymous User, Fort Collins, CO Fri Jul 13, 2012

Is high ceiling preferred? Planning to buy a new two story house yet to be constructed.High ceiling in the great room is included in the price. But there is an option to extend the upper level loft so that it covers the great room and there will no longer be a high ceiling in the great room. What is the best to have a resale value down the line? High Ceiling or Extra loft?

Answers

6
I would say the more liveable space, the better.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 13, 2012
Thank you all for your response. Appreciate your inputs.
For the appraisal side of thing, if the extra loft can be included in the GLA, meaning that is livable space and offers let's say eight food ceilings, heat and maybe a window. I'd go with the extra square footage.

If this is a little kids fort built into a wall, don't do it.

If you have plenty of square footage and bedrooms, it would be okay to go with the high ceilings, but square footage will always be an important factor when refinancing and this gives you the money when buying or selling.
I have now come to know that I could convert master bedroom into a master retreat or get the extra loft in place of high ceiling. Between the master retreat and extra loft which one has more resale value? Please advise.
Flag Fri Jul 13, 2012
I vote for the extra living space, and the lower ceiling in the great room will make it easier to keep heat in the great room.
Loft with character.
In my opinion.
Hi- if you are asking, I would say the loft would be more desirable. Depends how much more the loft is, and if you REALLY want to spend that money. There are so many places to spend additional money on a new home build- remember the kitchen can really add up if you have good taste, and flooring and tile is spendy as well- Depending on your living needs, and budget, that would help me make a decision. any additional questions, feel free to ask!