Ann, Home Buyer in 07401

Renting a house....sorry not a buying question, but important to us.

Asked by Ann, 07401 Tue Oct 7, 2008

We are thinking of renting a house in somerset county and I understand there is a fee paid to the real estate agent, who pays that fee. What if we contact the realtor directly do we still pay a fee? How does that work?

Answers

3
Ann-
It depends on what the listing agreement says. Some landlords will pay commission (fee) - some will split with tenant, and some ask that the tenant pay. Many landlords have gotten smart and just included the fee in the rental, so it doesn't become an issue. Bottom line is if its listed with an agent, someone will have to pay the agent. Keep in mind that everything is negotiable - if you really like the rental, then it's worth trying to work it out so at the end of the day you get it :) I work in almost exclusively somerset county, so if you want to chat further, you can contact me. - Lynn

Keller Williams Towne Square Realty
908 256-0508 direct 908 766-0085 office
dachisen@gmail.com
Hi Ann:

I work extensively in Somerset County. Right now, the rentals seem to be split 50/50...with some having the landlord pay the commision and some where the commission is either paid completely by the tenant, or at least part of it.

I help numerous renters find rental homes. If you want to shoot me an e-mail at: denisecanellolson@remax.net I can send you some rental listings. Just tell me what you are looking for. If you want, I will only send the rentals where the landlord pays the commission.
In most areas it is the owner or landord that hires the realtor to rent the home, they usually pay 1 months rent for the service. the tenant does not pay anything to the realtor. There are some areas and i dont think Maine is one of them that requires the tenant to pay. It is all about supply and demand. As a tenant you can negotiate a contract when you are having someone look for you as to whether they get paid by you or through the listing broker of the rental. good luck with your move.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com