OmegaTrader88, Home Buyer in

Remodelling/Expanding current home

Asked by OmegaTrader88, Thu Sep 12, 2013

I"m planning to buy a house in RSF Covenant and increase its current square footage to 7K square feet or more. But I heard that it takes a long long time for the Architect committee to approve the plan, and the cost of building in RSF is "astronomical" compared to other areas in SD county, just because you're living in RSF people assume that you're rich. Is 200/ft a reasonable assumption for RSF remodelling/buildout? I know that their average price/ft is 350. However, I don't want all the fancy stuffs, just the "home depot" quality is good enough for me.

Any thought on this?

Answers

5
Give me a call. I have built my own home in the Covenant and can give you my insight and contractors.
I have lived in the Covenant for over 40 years and have work with the association.

Steven Sansone
Sansone Real Estate Group.
858.405.5530
manage it yourself, avoid change orders, hire LOCAL contractors and you'll be fine. if you can avoid an architect you'll save a few bucks if you know what you want and can find a cooperative draftsman.

folks that blow through the $200/foot mark are doing so with expensive finishes, spendy fixtures, change orders, poor builders that fail inspections (and have to do things over) and by having too many people on the "payroll".

the art jury will have a say in roof materials and other exterior finishes so be ready for that. when my roof company was runnijng hot and heavy, i turned down work there due to their intrusive inspection process so be ready for that to add days and expense.

I have a deep rolodex of north county tradesmen if you want to click through to my page and contact me. i am starting a similar project soon, out of state...we can compare notes.

aloha

mike ford
real estate broker 01068560
general contractor b718892
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 14, 2013

As always, get several bids and make it clear to the contractors that you're cost-conscious. If you'd like a referral of a great contractor, let me know...I'm happy to help.

Warm Regards,

Media Fettinger
Century 21 Award
MFettinger@century21award.com
Looks like you got a really good answer below.

Let me know if you need a purchase loan for the property or want to get pre-approved (this will increase the chances of your loan being accepted) because I can certainly help you out there. You can call me at 408-352-5147 or email me at AGreer@themortgageoutlet.com. You can check us out at http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com. I will look at your situation and present you with some options.

Alex Greer
I think your good with the 200.00 psf.

It's very different when your building from scratch or if your remodeling. I have an old friend who saved Big $$ managing his remodel project in the Covenant. It really depends on what you have in mind. I was touring projects in the past with the RSF art jury and got a keen insight at the whole process. It is not as bad as you may have heard. Yes they are strict but the attitude that you bring to the table has a great deal to do with how smooth your process goes. Robert Green is a great guy and they are all about maintaining the integrity of The Ranch. I have been on both sides of the process and relationships matter so be positive your remodel will be fine.

I wish you well on your projectl I would love to see it before and after let me know how it goes and if I can help at all.

Best Regards OmegaTrader88

Don Clark
858 997-3859