Home Buying in Corning>Question Details

Mbastuk, Home Buyer in Indianapolis, IN

Relocation to Corning/Elmira/Horseheads

Asked by Mbastuk, Indianapolis, IN Thu Aug 18, 2011

We are potentially relocating to the Corning/Elmira/Horseheads area. I was able to do a quick driveby of the cities and a sampling of the houses. It seemed like Corning was the more upscale (I was looking at the South Hill area) vs Elmira which seemed to a mixed bag - nice houses on one street and not so nice on the next. I didn't find much in Horseheads that was appealing - they do have some newer housing subdivisions.

However, when you read crime statistics, etc - Corning is actually the worst?? Does this make sense to locals?

Answers

7
Does not make sense. Corning is a community supporting / underwritten by Corning Inc. to assure a good place to raise a family and a viable destination for tourism dollars. Elmira is a depressed region with the biggest employers being the prison and hospital(s). To assure your decision it is recommended that you do a short-term furnished rental (month to month) for a few months when you arrive Corning, and take weekends.. and more importantly evenings to drive around all towns.
Doesn't make much sense to me, I have always considered Corning to be the safest of the bunch. Although I have not seen the statistics, Elmira is the only local community where gang activity and other drug related crime is a regular concern. I would consider Corning as well as Painted Post-Erwin the most desirable communities in the Elmira-Corning region.
I know this topic is old, but in case anyone is searching I wanted to clarify the comment re: taxes, below.

The Southside Hill is taxed no more than anywhere else in the City of Corning such as Houghton Plot or the North Side.
The taxes are an old, layered system consisting for the most part of
#1 town/county tax
#2 school district
#3, city or village tax, if one applies.

As a result, the Town of Corning will be cheaper than the City due to the lack of the city tax, but the city will all be taxed at the same rate. The Village of Painted Post is high due to the extreme Village tax there, but the rest of Painted Post (which is actually the town of Erwin) is very reasonable.

As a result of this system, you cannot assume that the taxes are going to be high because of a home being listed in Corning or Painted Post. The exact municipality, not the mailing address will determine the tax rate.
My wife and I live in Corning...crime statistics are not terribly accurate (just as any statistic may be). In my opinion, Corning is the best place to live in this area. We have been looking for a house for the past year and I have kept a regular pulse on the real estate in this area for the past 4 years, even amid the Marcellus Shale Gas boom.

Corning's (city) property values are based on the strength of the school district and Corning Inc. stock. Southside Hill is clearly the best neighborhood for holding / increasing housing value and is subsequently taxed the highest. Painted Post also holds value well but is taxed even higher with the appropriate return on municipal services though. In my humble opinion, there is not much holding Elmira together...

My wife and I are looking in Corning, preferably Southside Hill within walking distance to Market Street, or out in the country in a decent neighborhood / region with some land to spread out. Good luck with your search!
Actually, regarding taxes, the city has one tax rate. You will not be taxed at a higher rate on the Southside Hill than you will be anywhere else in the city limits.

It is based upon 3 things:
School Tax
Town/County Tax
City Tax

If you moved to the Town of Corning (East Corning, South Corning, Spencer Hill, etc) the taxes would drop by not having the $9.30+- per thousand city tax involved.

As for Painted Post, only the Village is higher. If you are in the municipality of Erwin(still considered Painted Post, but not in the Village), the taxes are far lower than the City of Corning.
Flag Tue Apr 10, 2012
Hello Mbastuk: While I am way down on the Panhandle of Florida, upstate NY is my hometown area. My recommendation if you do not already have an agent to work with is to find one or alllow me to recommend to you a Certified Residential Specialist (CRS) in the area. If there is not a CRS in the area, my Coldwell Banker network is large and I know we can get you into the best hands in that area. Call me 850-650-4562 ext. 106. If I am not in ask for Jennifer Diederich or Micah Page.
Hi Mbastuk,
Ms. Brocco is right, check with the local police departments and if any locals are on Trulia, I am sure they will weigh in. I think you will find most agents reticent to comment on these types of things and will direct you to third party sources due to legal reasons. I own a home in the Finger Lakes region, and find the area to be lovely, however, it is a vacation home and about an hour from Corning, so I cannot comment intelligently on the crime issues. We don't even lock our doors at night!
Best wishes, Jim
Have you tried chatting with the locals...for accurate crime information, it's always a good idea to contact/visit the local police department, hear all there is hear firsthand...