Home Buying in Englewood>Question Details

From Va/dc, Home Buyer in Englewood, NJ

Relocation to Bergen Co. and interested in buying in Englewood. Is it a good town for kids? Elementary school age?

Asked by From Va/dc, Englewood, NJ Wed Apr 6, 2011

We are relocation to NJ (Bergen county) from DC/VA area. I am looking for a clean, safe neighborhood. I have 2 young kids and safety and good schools are top priorities. We saw a home we loved in Englewood this weekend but I am not sure about the town. Any info would be great!
What's the best Elementary school there and is there a good private school option?
Is it easy to get to NYC by train? or bus?
thank you!

Answers

6
Below are two links where you can get more information about different towns in Bergen County. I'd also strongly suggest taking a day trip to the area and spend the day walking the neighborhood, grab some lunch/dinner etc. so you can see with your own eyes how it is.

http://www.njmls.com/communities/index.cfm?action=dsp.townin…

http://www.city-data.com/city/Englewood-New-Jersey.html

- Rob
Well there are several elementary schools and where you would end up in depends on the address
here is a link
No one will tell you where to move and in what area is worst school, agents are forbidden to steer clients to a certain area, you should take some time before you decide and then you see it for your self as you stated you were in Englewood and loved a house, that is a great start. The previous agents answering to you were from the Ridgewood area and that for sure is one of the top districts in Bergen county, most school systems compete for that status and most of them are in the top ranked systems every so often. I service many towns in Bergen County and I sent you a school report from the town, but depending on your budget there are several options to compare with and as in many towns there are areas that are very nice and then other parts of town are not as nice. Most of Bergen county has easy access to the city, some have a train and all towns have the bus service. You should take more time and have an agent take you around to a few different towns to compare, you might be better of with an agent that sells in a few of the towns and not in only one and that way you get more information in general. Please note that price is always important depending on how much you can spend on a home and then speak with an area expert on deciding where you will get the best value for your money. Usually if the house is beautiful and too good to be true compared with other homes for sale in town it may not be in the best area of town. Everything also depends on your own standards some of the schools have Blue Ribbons from excellency and others do not, some towns have school buses and others do not, some towns have better recreational programs than others and then again some town have better pre-school programs. Most schools also welcome parents to visit in case that makes a difference in deciding. As you can see this is a lot of research but I wish you good luck and feel free to contact me at mia@villonrealty.com for additional information.
Hi Home Buyer
Welcome to NJ!
Englwood is not the area in Bergen County I concentrate so I can't give you a complete 'flavor' of the town.
If you have found the home you love then I wish you the best of luck but if you are open to suggestions I urge you to investigate the town of Ridgewood.

It really is quite superior in its qualities:
Nationally recognized for its academic and sports programs
Strong family centered community
Beautiful central business district and parks
Convenient NYC commute
So very safe and almost crime free.
Solid resale value on your investment

I have lived here since 1973 and am quite knowledgable about all programs and home values.
Give me a call if you want to discover this amazing town or send me your email address so I can forward info on the town.
Chris Gubb
201-362-6344
cgubb@TarvinRealtors.com
Hi there Virgina/DC relocators: I have been selling homes in Bergen County for over 25 years, and yes the school systems in the county have very high ratings. Englewood is a diverse and excellent town to raise children and I know you will be happy there just as you would in most Bergen County towns.

Commute to NYC by bus or train is available from just about any Bergen County town so that should not be an issue.

I would be most happy to show you homes and send you auto emails from the MLS that will include the addresses and info on homes listed in various towns. We would need to speak about it so I can get all the information correct and send you the emails at a frequency that would be fine with you. I'm not sure what price range you are in but there are great loan products out there where you can put very little down and also incorporate repair money in the loan if you need it.

Contact me when you wish to move forward.

Carolynn Monaco
Sothebys International Real Estate
201-639-5555 x13
in General Bergen County public schools are aomngst the best in the country so you should be comfortable where ever you decide to stay. As far as individeual towns are concerned than that is a personal choice which in no small part will depend on your budget and style of living you prefer. For example do you prefer the older type of town with houses on smaller lots with a strong sense of neighborhood but do you prefer a house with a large yard, swimming pool etc. My office is in Wyckoff which would fall into the latter catagory.
Commuting to NYC is pretty easy from any town in the area with most of them having the choice of either the express bus or the train.
If oyu have any questions my ocontact details can be found by clicking on my pic
Regards
Peter
Hello...
Please feel free to contact me anytime and I can answer any questions you might have :)
I can be reached by cell or email anytime.
908-705-5022 or susana.costa@remax.net