Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

Tanya, Renter in Tampa, FL

Relocating to the area. I am looking at a rental before I purchase. I will be working near the airport and would like to be an area with families

Asked by Tanya, Tampa, FL Tue Jun 19, 2012

good schools and not too far from work or the beach. I have heard west chase? Is there anywhere else? I would lkke to look this weekend with someone living in this area with children.

Answers

6
Tanya, you have received good suggestions from my colleagues. The inventory of rentals is very low pushing the demand and prices up. You will have to spend considerable time looking and deciding (quickly) to rent a home. Tampa and surrounding areas are very active real estate markets.

Check out City-Date.com for public comments regarding different areas in Tampa.

Lynn Brock
Brock Realty
941.313.1234
http://www.brockrealty-inc.com
The Westchase is definitely the best area for combining family-friendly and closeness to the airport. However, Westchase proper will be a bit more expensive than the other areas as it is very well maintained. Westchase is about 20-30 minutes from Clearwater Beach, depending on traffic.

Other areas to consider are Palm Harbor and Safety Harbor. These are both in Pinellas County, and thus closer to the beach, but a bit further from the airport. Neither is a compact community like Westchase, but Safety Harbor is a town with a real downtown and neighborhood-like feel.

I have a townhome for rent near Westchase. It's within walking distance to Bryant Elementary and Farnell Middle schools. 12557 Bassbrook Lane if you care to check it out.
Dear Tanya,

You also have to be VERY careful who you rent from because there are some scam artists that know that they will soon list a property as a Short Sale and then you will not be able to renew your lease if needed.

For that reason, if you are in a financial position to become an owner in a year, you may want to live in a nice apartment complex. There are several available that are convenient to the Airport/Westshore Business District in the Westchase and Countryway area. The Arbors at Branch Creek are very nice and have a great resort feel and the prices are competitive. Also we have brand new apartments at the interesection of Waters Ave & Montague and the assigned Elementary is Lowry (A rated), Farnell Middle (better than Westchase's Davidsen) and Alonso High. Bus stop to Lowry & Farnell is within 1000 feet of the entrance. The High School is about 1/2 mile down the road. Airport is 10 minutes, Westshore 15.

So rather than have to do a background check on every possible landlord, take a safer route and rent in a complex.

Also the compensation to a Realtor on a rental in Tampa Bay is absurdly low so it would be unfair for you to expect a Realtor to spend any time showing rentals... the cost of the gas alone may not cover the small fee a Realtor may receive (especially those who have to split a possibly $100 commission with their broker).

Alma
Alma Rose Kee, PA
http://www.SoldOnTampa.com
Westchase is a nice place to live for families. Rents start at $1400 for a 3 bedroom and go up from there. There are 2 large community pools, it is about 18 minutes from the airport and 30 minutes to the beach. There is also a nice new rental community that offers shorter term leases. Please contact me if you want more information.
Good morning Tanya,

There are many nice communities in the area near the airport. I would be happy to show you around this weekend. Feel free to give me a call so we can discuss your needd in some detail and I can send you some properties to look over.

Jeffery Lonas
Real Estate Consultant
Keller Williams Gulfside
727-831-6089
There are other areas that are 20-30 minutes away, but to meet the criteria you have outlined Westchase is probably the best option. It is a beautiful community with good schools.
Give me a call if you need some assistance.
Debbi Tinker
Keller Williams
Realty Service with Heart
813-263-0932