Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Tom Griffin, Home Buyer in Cincinnati, OH

Relocating to chicago for work. We are a young family (mid 30's) with a young baby...

Asked by Tom Griffin, Cincinnati, OH Tue Mar 25, 2014

Looking for a neighborhood, where we could find a single family house with a small yard (for our dog) and walkable to ammenities (restaurants, parks, stores, etc). We have a generous housing stipend , so upscale neighborhood is preferred. Any suggestions.

Answers

34
Tom: Welcome to the Chicago area! I'm sure you'll love working and living in our City. To get an idea which neighborhood would best fit your needs, I'd suggest working with an Agent well-versed in the features and details of the City housing market ... whether buying or renting.
I'd recommend that you contact Stephanie LoVerde of Baird & Warner, City North Office, 4037 N Damen Avenue, Chicago. Her contact info is: Cell: 847.903.8589, Website: http://stephanieloverde.bairdwarner.com/agent_info. Stephanie is young, hard-working, and knows the City unbelievably well.
Best of luck to you and your family in your move and coming home search ...
Gene
Web Reference: http://www.genemundt.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2014
Gene! You're so kind! Thank you so much for thinking of me! Hi Tom, I just reached out to you under separate cover. Too hard to sift through all these responses here! :)
Flag Sat Mar 29, 2014
Ravenswood, Lincoln Square, Old Irving Park, Edison Park and more. I would suggest the northwest side of the city. Its close to the cta and you will find a really nice place with a yard for your budget. Any of these areas would be fantastic.

Thomas G Kossnar
Broker
Kale Realty
Since 1951
773-397-9913
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 25, 2014
Feel free to contact me anytime. I would love to help.

Bj Tregoning
Organic Realty
773-418-1232
Yes, give me a call. I would love to help you and your family find a home that fits all of your needs.

Todd - 312-656-4711
You should look into buying. A program was recently released where you may qualify for a grant of $7500 to help you buy a home. Give Bernard Duganzic at 847 508 0190 a call. He's with Key Mortgage and he can let you know what your financing options are.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2014
Plenty of great options available to you both in the city and nearby.
Hi Tom, my suggestion would be the western suburbs of LaGrange, il, west along the train tracks to Downers Grove, Il. You will have to see the towns for yourself, but they all have a downtown area with varying types and amounts of restaurants. Each town has an easy and convenient Metra station that can get you to downtown Union Station in as little as 18 min from LaGrange. Each town has too many parks to count, great school, and they are just fantastic overall areas to live. I am 31yo myself, and I am raising 4 young children in the town of Western Springs, Il, and we could not be happier. Please feel free to reach out to me, as a loan originator I can help you along the way. Best of luck, John
Talk with a few local Realtors see who you feel comfortable with and get Pre-qualified. Hard to determine an area until you know what price range you will be looking at.
Let us know if you want to consider the North Shore suburbs. We have what you are looking for.
I'd love to help. Feel free to contact me at anytime.

Bj Tregoning
Organic Realty
773-293-6462
myrealtorbj@gmail.com
I have the perfect spot for you. Email me at jmichaels@remax.net and I will send you my list
Hi Tom,

Did you find what you were looking for?
Reach out to a few agents and see who would be a good fit for your family. Your price point is going to truly determine what areas are going to be open to you guys.
"generous" can mean so many things. Luxury single family home rentals in Lincoln Park and Lakeview can easily end up being well into the 5 figures so it's good to have a game plan before just jumping in and being disappointed.

We specialize in luxury rentals and I'd love to set up a custom search and help you work through the process. Scott@newmanrealtyillinois.com if you're interested in connecting...
Hi Tom,

I would recommend the Lake View area. The Lake View area covers a lot of ground so I would say more specifically around N. Southport and Diversey ave. This is close to schools, restaurants, shopping, and night life. I am a Broker in the Chicago area and would love to help you with finding your home. Will you be looking to rent or buy? I suggest you give me a call and we can have a conversation in regards to all your needs and I can get started on finding you the right home.

Thank You

Robert Denha
Dream Town Realty
C: 312.252.9477
W: http://www.robertdenha.com
W: http://www.dreamtown.com
Are you renting or buying? And what is your timeframe? Bbiederman@citypointrealty.com
I DON'T THINK YOU MENTIONED IF YOU WANTED TO OWN OR RENT?? i DO HAVE A LOVELY REMODELED RENTAL IN LINCONWOOD ONE OF THE BEST SCHOOL SYSTEMS AROUND FOR $2600 PER MONTH. LET ME KNOW YOUR NEEDS 847-275-4438 SHARON REALNET R.E. BROKER/OWNER
I agree with Matt, since you are the buyer the buyers agent will in essence be working for you for free. He or she will be paid from the fee agreed upon by the sellers brokerage when the house was listed. It can really simplify your search to utilize a professional who does this for a living. There is really no advantage of trying to negotiate it your self.
Get a good buyers agent to help you out. Its free to use their services. Interview two or three agents and go with the one you mesh best with. This way you can have someone to go to with all your questions. Its free to use their services. I would be happy to help.
Web Reference: http://Americorpre.com
Greetings Tom,

Welcome to Chicago - I am certain that you and your family will enjoy your stay here. Many great options exist that will allow you to have a single family home w/ back yard. garage parking, close to transportation, restaurants, parks, etc. I would be happy to assist you in finding a home that meets your needs. Feel free to contact me and we can discuss further.

Bill J Deligiannis
Charles Rutenberg Realty
630-788-5288
Web Reference: http://www.BJDHOMES.com
Best advice is to work with a Realtor in that area. Also, drive around and look at the neighborhoods during the work day, at night and on the weekends to see what area you prefer.

Also, there are several websites that show a block by block crime stats. Everyblockchicago is one. Always helpful.
Can't argue with that. Local is always the best to go. Local agents tend to have some "pocket listings" i.e not on public mls as well. If it were me moving to another city I would hunt down the top rental agent in that part of town, lol
Flag Wed Mar 26, 2014
If you could provide me with your email address, I will email you rental listings that suit your requirements. It's the easiest way to start a search & the most efficient. You look at a place on paper - with all details & photos - & choose the ones you want to view. I set up all appointments & we go from there. I know almost every neighborhood in Chicago, having grown up here & having raised my own family here. I have definite neighborhoods in mind for you & all I need is your contact information. Barbara Biederman, City Point Realty, bbiederman@citypointrealty.com, 773-914-5309
Dear Tom,

May I suggest you read the article in Chicago Magazine http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/April-2014/chicag… Of the Northside of Chicago as an individual and not a Real Estate Broker I feel Chicago Magazine nailed it! Depending on your budget you will find a wonderful home for you and your family!
HI, Welcome to Chicago. There are many great neighborhoods are just like that. I am a realtor with lots of experience, please give me a call 312-608-3028
Hello Tom,

Sounds like you want the space and excitement of a vibrant neighborhood within the city. No worries, West Town is poised to rise in price, Buck Town has plenty of single family homes and is near all the action along with Lincoln Park which has generous space between single family homes. Let's not forget Pilsen which is near the Loop and currently offers newly constructed "green homes" for 400-500k, located near a ton of top rated restaurants, art studios and night life. A more calmer neighborhood and very family oriented is Bridgeport, it offers plenty of space for your family, close to major avenues into the city and without all the congestion. Please let us know if you would like a tour of these neighborhoods or if we can assist with your search. Good luck and welcome to the Windy City!
It depends on your budget and how close to work you might want to be Traffic in Chicago is horrible so location is important. Houses that allow dogs are difficult to find. We would need more info
I have been living in the Chicago area for 45 years, in the city for 30, have practiced real estate for 20. My specialty all these years has been representing buyers. Have sold in 50 of the 77 neighborhoods and a few dozen suburbs. I would have to talk to you personally to get your housing background as well as what factors will affect your housing decision here i.e. work location, type of property and space you need, price range etc . . .and I could probably put you in the exact neighborhood you need to be in . .if not on the exact block, lol. . .and depending on your personal factors, I might even suggest one of a number of cities that sit right next to the Chicago border (ring the city). . . and give you the best quality of both city and suburban feel . . .and still give you quick and easy access to downtown via both expressway and public trans. There are some locations you can drive to downtown in less then 10 minutes (outside of rush hour) if you know where to look ;-)

Guy below seems like a great agent too . . . .

Michael Ramstedt

Managing Broker
Krain Real Estate
1003 N. Damen
Chicago, IL 60622

cell: 312-952-2894
text or call
Welcome to Chicago , The northside sound pretty good , you will do a big change ...good luck to you
Dear Tom,

A few suggestions.

First I'd buy a cop of the Not for Tourists guide to Chicago. They do them for multiple cities, but I've found them to be a pretty good overview of the "feel" of the various neighborhoods in the city. And this is a city of many, many different neighborhoods, and they all have a different feel and flavor.

If you're not very familiar with the city already and you have the resources to do so (particularly time), then I'd suggest visiting as many times as possible before the move. I know it's not a super convenient trip, but just being able to walk some of the neighborhoods that you're considering could help you get a feel and make a decision.

If you just want to ask some questions, feel free to give me a call or drop me a line. I've lived in the city since 1989 and I've got a pretty good working knowledge of a lot of different neighborhoods here (and for those that I don't have a good feel for I'd be happy to refer you to an agent whom I think has a better sense of your neighborhood of choice than I do). I've done a good amount of work with relocating clients, and it's actually among the most enjoyable work that I do as an agent.

Good luck and let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Christopher Thomas
Broker Associate, EXIT Strategy Realty
2235 W. North Av. Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 770-5947 (cell) (312) 577-0985 (fax)
chris@myagentchris.com
http://www.myagentchris.com
Find a good agent that listens, knows the areas your looking in and can offer impartial advice. I know the city very well and would be happy to have a conversation with you about your specific needs. Feel free to email me.
There are some townhome style properties available with small closed off back yards. If you want to provide me with your email address I'd be happy to send you some links to places I think you might like. You can take a look and tell me what you like or don't like.
Hi Tom,
Please let me know if you need any assistance with home financing. I've worked with many relocating clients here in Chicago and I would be happy to help you and your family with the purchase.
Thanks and have a good evening.
JP

JP Marzano
Senior Loan Officer
NMLS # 574681
312-608-1555
There are many areas that would fit your needs. Do you want to live in the city or the suburbs? Do you need to be by transportation.
We are definitely open to staying in the city. (Probably prefer it) we looked at Lincoln Park online and it looks nice... But it seems to be most apartments and high rises . We want a place we can open the back door to let the dog out by himself (small yard is fine) but not stuck in the burbs where we have drive everywhere . We are looking to rent a house with a budget of $5000 a month. Looking for something like Hyde park in Cincinnati if that is of any help. Near transportation is a bonus, but not a need, as my office will be near O'Hare and I will be driving
Flag Tue Mar 25, 2014
Did you want to stay in the city of Chicago? If so, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park are upscale and great for young families. It also offers plenty of shops, restaurants, stores and parks in walking distance. Can you tell me what your budget is?
We are definitely open to staying in the city. (Probably prefer it) we looked at Lincoln Park online and it looks nice... But it seems to be most apartments and high rises . We want a place we can open the back door to let the dog out by himself (small yard is fine) but not stuck in the burbs where we have drive everywhere . We are looking to rent a house with a budget of $5000 a month. Looking for something like Hyde park in Cincinnati if that is of any help....th
Flag Tue Mar 25, 2014