Home Buying in Sacramento>Question Details

David, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

Relocating to Sacramento, CA from Denver, CO

Asked by David, Sacramento, CA Thu Jun 30, 2011

would like recommendations on safe neighborhoods in and around downtown. Would like to be able to walk to shops, etc. Prefer older homes with character (1960's or earlier)

Answers

10
Sue brought up a good point about the price per square foot; although, I don't know if I would call River Park quiet. It's quiet if you don't think trains are noisy. The per-square-foot cost is quite high in Midtown and East Sac as compared to other parts of Sacramento. You would get more bang for your buck in two other neighborhoods, both located in 95817 -- Elmhurst and the Med Center. You can't look just by ZIP in those areas because it encompasses other neighborhoods that you might not find as attractive as the Med Center and Elmhurst. But if you're looking for affordable vintage homes, those are the ticket.

Hey Kylee, I think the neighborhood you are referring to is probably Capitol Hill. I used to live on 14th. But East Denver also has homes with character. But what the heck would I know? I haven't lived in Denver since 1974.
Hi David,
Their are a few good locations and neighborhood in downtown. The best thing to do when you get here is take a drive around it with an Realtor and see how you like it. There are other areas that are in good neighborhood and walking distant to shopping center, etc.

Enjoy your home buying in Sacramento.
David,
You have some good answers below. Midtown and East Sac are areas that would fit your requirements. I am located in Midtown and would be happy to help you find what you are looking for. Approximately when are you relocating? I look forward to helping you find your home in Sacramento. TED
I have nothing to add to the good Sacramento city recommendations by the early posters.

Several edge cities have quaint midcentury and older homes near their downtowns. These edge city neighborhoods
are Old Fair Oaks, Old Folsom and the Royer Park section of Roseville. Further away, up Into the gold country, the downtowns of Placerville Grass Valley, Nevada City and Auburn have historic ambience that appeals to tourists and locals.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
David,
Consensus of opinion is Midtown and East Sac! 95816,95819, 95818, 95814 and 11 are possibles. But 95816 is the bomb! We don't have just one central area of shops and restaurants. "The Grid" as it is marketed covers several blocks and you may have a few blocks of residential, and then some blocks with restaurants, shops.
Someone mentioned 95608, and you might find cool and quirky in there, but not so much the bungalow, craftsman, tudor flair of midtown and east sac.

There is an area in Denver (I had investment property there, so had visited), sorry, don't know the name, but I believe it was closer to downtown, where cool homes had been redone, cool replaced but still classic street lights. That's kind of what East Sac and Midtown are like.

Safety? You can be the judge, and check out the crime stats--there is a link on a local telly website- http://-www.kcra.com
Good luck! Welcome to town!
Kylee
Web Reference: http://www.kyleeonline.com
They mention some wonderful neighborhoods near downtown....but another factor might be cost per square foot. River Park is a wonderful old neighborhood on the edge of East Sac...but your price/sq foot is higher than many other areas of Sacramento neighborhoods. Mostly built in the 1960's it's a quiet area, right near Sac State and the river but not quite as high in price as 95864.

So my question is, what price range are you used to from the Denver area? Because if your market pricing is lower than ours, would you really want to go down in amenities/space for a similar priced housing or not?

I'm showing the average price per square foot in Denver area is $147/sq foot and it is a buyer's market, with average days on market of 143 days. The downtown Sacramento area runs higher than most of the outskirts and is similar in market activity from the statistics I could see. But statistics are general and the question still is, what price range are YOU at right now, in relocating to Sacramento?
Web Reference: http://www.suearcher.com
David,

All of the areas that have been mentioned would more than likely fit for what you are looking for. The one thing that I would add is; it is more important to make sure you get the best financing in place first. This will insure you the best possible price and and the best possible area in which you can purchase in. These areas have a wide price range form the 100,000s to well over $500,000. If you do not have a lender or need to make sure your lender is treating you right. Here is a name of a great Lender here in Sacramento. His Name is Glenn Olsson he is the current Local President of CAMP (California Association of Mortgage Professionals) 916-276-6236. Most of the best deals are had with pre-approved buyers. Oh and by the way, if you need a good Realtor, I can help with that. :)
David

Elizabeth gave a great answer. She gave you the perfect zip codes with great answers. I just wanted to add 95831, 95608, and 95628. These are also great neighborhoods you might want to take a look at.
I agree that you may want to look into East Sacramento, Midtown, and Land Park. If you want to be able to walk to shops, restaurants, etc you probably want to stick with East Sac or Midtown. All of these areas have older homes with a lot of character, and a lot of them have been very well maintained over the years.
Web Reference: http://www.lisajonsson.com
I think you'd be a perfect candidate for the Midtown or East Sacramento area as you can walks to all kinds of restaurants, shopping, nightlife. Those ZIPs are 95811, 95816 and 95819. You might also want to look at Curtis Park or Land Park, which is 95818. I also would not rule out 95814.

I, too, once lived in Denver. But Nederland took me away from Denver.

Elizabeth Weintraub
Broker-Associate #00697006
Lyon Real Estate