Home Buying in Oklahoma City>Question Details

Sara Swanson, Other/Just Looking in Cleveland, OH

Relocating to OKC - prospective first-time home buyer

Asked by Sara Swanson, Cleveland, OH Thu Apr 11, 2013

I am a 22 y/o graduating chemical engineer relocating to OKC for employment. I was curious about what areas are good for young buyers like myself because I would really like to live near people closer in age. I also am contemplating about whether to buy a house or condo...I know I will be in OKC for 3 years, but I may relocate after those 3 years, and I want to ensure what ever property I purchase will be easily sold in the future. I do like the the option of having yard maintenance completed for me since it is likely I will travel, and I like the idea of having a gated community with a pool. Any insight on the home buying process would be appreciated, especially since I am not incredibly familiar with the area.

Sara

Answers

15
Exciting News!! I am sure you will love Oklahoma. we have a low cost of living hereand it is lots to do. I am from Germany and it was a big adjustment at first but other than the heat and Tornados lol, I like it. If you are here for 3 years you can go either or , you can rent but be prepared to pay a high rent for a not so perfect home, you can get more for your money if you buy and still be able to sell if you make the right buy and come out of selling your home with at least 3 years of living free :) Would love to assist you in your home search and get you in an area that you love and it would be easy to resell in a few years. Call me at 405-812-5507
Oklahoma is a great place to live in for any young person. Away from work, Oklahoman's love watching sports – with the Oklahoma Sooners and Oklahoma State Cowboys typically getting top billing. The Oklahoma City Thunder have also become incredibly popular in recent years.

If you’re not a sports fan, there is plenty to do, like heading to one of the many festivals. Oklahoma City plays host to the Oklahoma State Fair every year, and Tulsa hosts the Tulsa State Fair and Tulsa Oktoberfest every year. If you’re a music lover, you won’t want to miss the Norman Music Festival, which highlights local bands.

You can follow the link below to browse houses, condos in Oklahoma and find reliable Realtors:

http://www.realtypin.com/united-states/oklahoma
Web Reference: http://www.realtypin.com
Sara, I think you will love Oklahoma. As an Oklahoman native, I would be happy to assist with your home search. Pam King, RE/MAX Metro 405-923-6574.
Hi Sara,

Congratulations on finishing school and your relocation...exciting times for you right now! The brokerage I work for is the only downtown based residential company and we are very knowledgeable on the happening areas of town because we focus primarily on the historic and urban core. I also serve as a residential real estate expert for the planning department with regards to growth projections and current housing patterns. OKC is a bit different than most other large metroplexes. We don't have a ton of condo and town home communities and the ones that we do have are hard pressed to get FHA or conventional financing because investors own and rent a larger portion of the complexes. I have been in this situation multiple times in the last couple of years. They often times must be cash deals. There are certainly exceptions to the rule but not typically in the more affordable range.

Not knowing your budget or what kinds of things you like to do, it would be hard to advise you on a particular part of town that would be a good fit. If you like historic living in more established areas, big trees and walking or riding your bike to restaurants/bars then I would suggest a totally different area than if you like the convenience and familiarity of chain restaurants and national stores, the mall etc. I am not sure I have enough info to give you any solid advice. I do, however, have a buyer questionnaire that asks questions about how you live, needs and wants, budget, etc that I would be happy to email you if you would like to contact me for additional help.

I would also disagree that it is a buyer's market here. We have an extremely low inventory currently and the good stuff is going like hot cakes so you need be prepared to go look the same day you find something online if it is of serious interest to you. And one last thing, as a first time buyer you may qualify for 3.5% down payment assistance from OHFA. And, if you will be working for one of our larger companies, BOK offers a credit of around $500.00 to certain employers.

I hope that helps a little! Best of luck to you in starting this new chapter of your life.

Michelle Foy
Verbode
405.365.5320
michelle@buygreenokc.com
Web Reference: http://buygreenokc.com
Hello Sara,

Oklahoma City has a lot to offer for the younger generation and there are many areas available for that demographic. The first thing you will want to do is find a real estate professional in Oklahoma City that you feel comfortable working with. The next step is to get pre approved with a lender, that way you will know how much home you can actually buy. I recommend you look at a couple condos and single family homes and make a pros and cons list to see which one will suit your needs the best. I will be more than happy to send you a breakdown of properties that are currently available. It is a prefect time to buy a home as it is defiantly a buyers market. Feel free to call me, text me or email with any questions. My contact information is below. Good luck!

Jeremiah Burton
Kevo Properties
405-204-9467
jburton@kevomail.com
Sara,
I have a condo for sale for $47,000 in OKC/Edmond. Its located next to the largest mall in OKC and surrounded by all kinds of shopping, restaurants and entertainment. The HOA covers exterior maintenance, pool, gated entry. Its 1 bed, 1 bath, perfect for what you are describing! Here is the Trulia listing with more info and pics. Its only been on the market for a week!

http://www.trulia.com/property/3114553610-14311-N-Pennsylvan…

Let me know if you'd like more info or to see it in person. You can contact me via my Trulia profile page.

Leah Brown
Realtor, Prudential Alliance Realty
(405) 796-0328
Hello, Sara. As you can see by the answers below, there are plenty of people who are willing to help you. I would recommend that you call 2 or 3 or maybe email them, look at their website and get a feel for how they work as a realtor.

A few questions to ask via email would be: How long have you been doing real estate? What areas do you specialize in? OKC is one of the largest areas by square miles in the entire country. It will be difficult to specialize in the entire metro area!

Most condo complexes will have some sort of gate and almost all will have a pool. However, you will want to make sure the HOA dues are reasonable because that will make it a tough sale in the future. You will also want to make sure that the condo complex qualifies for some type of financing because not all of them do.

You will love OKC for it's people, strong work ethic and crazy weather. I hope this helps.

Blessings,

Doug
Hi Sara,

I hope you are well. My sister is moving to Morgantown in the next couple of months to work for WVU as a professor. I helped coordinate her move, so I totally understand your needs, questions, & concerns in regards to relocation. My professional opinion would be to buy a home over a condo. I believe the resale/investment is stronger than a condo, which is critical since your time in OKC may be short. I would be happy to help point you with your home search & relocation. Feel free to call me on my cell at 405/464/3533 to discuss. Also, I would be happy to share any past client relocation references if you desire. I look forward to hearing from you....Nick Hilton
Sara,
I am a lender and would love to talk to you about financing options.My website is http://www.jennifervazquez.supreme lending.com or call my cell at 9129779671.
Call Kurt Swink with Financial Concepts Mortgage and go over pre-qualing with him.

405-722-5626

Tell him Josh sent you, then call me 405-315-7965 and we can go over your above thoughts.
Web Reference: http://www.GetSoldOKC.com
Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent to represent you. EBAs represent home buyers only, and work to get you the best price and most favorable terms. You can go to NAEBA.org for a referral to an EBA in your area. If an EBA is not available in your area, find an agent who specializes in buyers, and one who is a full-time career agent.

There is a book on Amazon called a"Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You". It will be the best $6 you've ever spent.

What an exciting time for you! There are several options available. If you like an urban lifestyle, downtown OKC is thriving with both purchase and rentals available. I'd love the chance to chat with you. Feel free to call or text 405-615-2796.
Kristyn
Web Reference: http://SellaMetroHome.com
Sara,

There are many areas around OKC that younger people are moving to and lots to do around OKC that I think you will be excited to explore! I will be happy to send you some listings of houses and duplexes that I think best fit your needs as well as some info about great things to do while here. Condos are a good way to go, but you can also find some houses that have very low maintenance yards as well. If you send me your email, I will send you some to look at. Or you can call me anytime! 405-370-3886 or jpoch@pldi.net Look forward to hearing from you! Have a blessed rest of the week!

Jennifer Poch
Apple Realty
Hi Sarah:

Congradulations on your graduation and your employment:

Single person, my reccomendation would be a condo, possibly close to the brick town area, but there are several good areas to pick from, but if you are looking for the less exspensive way to go buy a home in the Edmond area, There are several areas where the younger generation are relocating,
I would be very glad to do a search for you and start sending you condo's and homes to view,
Send me your information and i will get started on it for you:

John Phillips
Re/Max Preferred Properties
405 413 0791
jphillips81@cox.net
I'll be happy to show you some homes and talk about locations. Give me a call.

Bridgett Wells
Keller Williams Realty Elite
405-651-9320
Bridgettwells@kw.com