Home Buying in Jacksonville>Question Details

Lnicole Law, Home Buyer in Elkridge, MD

Relocating to Jacksonville Florida from Columbia, Maryland

Asked by Lnicole Law, Elkridge, MD Sat Jun 15, 2013

Looking for an affordable apartment in a safe area. Through my research I've read sooo many mixed reviews. The apartment community I've been communicating with has an address of ____ State Road A1a in Atlantic Beach, FL. Is this an area that anyone would recommend? I can't seem to get the address to work on JSO Crime Mapping website and neighborhoodscout changes the address up. Is A1a also Mayport Rd? I've read that Mayport Rd is not good but I'm not even sure if this apartment community is on Mayport Rd or not. I'm going insane over here because I just want to make the right decision which area to move since I've never even been to Florida before. Please help!

Answers

6
"COME ON DOWN!" Hello Lnicole Law....Jacksonville is a great place to live...BUT ....did you know that it is the LARGEST CITY in the United States in LAND MASS (except in Alaska).
The city is really spread out...BUT there are hundreds of acres of non-developed area...AND we have the greatest number of parks of ANY city in the United States.
NOW....your problem.....I am not SURE which apartment community you have rresearched....BUT...it sounds like it is near NAS MAYPORT........Do NOT go insane....just contact me...I will be happy to listed (or read) a list of your needs...it MAY be that this complex is ideal....MAYBE NOT. It really depends on if you will be working here....are you retired? Are you employed? If you have a job lined up....in which part of town will it be located? THAT could make a huge difference in your decision on where to "NEST". What are your interest? Sports, the ARTS, etc.? You may want to check out the San Marco area...or Riverside...or Town Center area.
If YOU choose, my son, HICKORY, and I, Donna, would be happy to meet with you ....give you a GREAT tour showing you areas in which you may have an interest......Atlantic Beach is a wonderful place to live....but....some areas may make you feel more comfortable than others....everyone is different. We also have Neptune and Jacksonville Beach...AND Ponte Vedra Beach...it is hard to tell where one ends and another begins.....all of these beach areas have "different" neighborhood...some you may LOVE....others....who knows....NO one likes EVERY neighborhood.
DO NOT rent an apartment sight unseen.......you really do need to see your options. It should NOT take long....probably 2-3 days........Remember too....we do NOT have the BEST transit system!
Will you have a vehicle? IF you will not have a car....you will want to make SURE to have GOOD advice.
IF YOU choose....contact me.....we will use all of our experience, energy, and the time you need to find the RIGHT place for YOU.
Thank you again for the question and WELCOME to Jacksonville.

Donna Delegal
"The Real Estate Lady"
startpacking@comcast.net
Oceanside Real Estate ( We KNOW and WORK in ALL areas of NORTHEAST FLORIDA)
(904) 732-PACK (904) 732-7225
Do you know yet where you will be working? If you'll be in the downtown area, you might want to take a look at the historic neighborhoods of Riverside and Avondale. Although there are pockets in those neighborhoods that might not be ideal, both neighborhoods are charming, with friendly, walkable areas and vibrant shopping and dining districts. As to rental prices, they are probably comparable to the neighborhoods around Atlantic Beach, and if you're working downtown, you will spend a lot less on your commute. The beaches are awesome, of course, from Atlantic Beach to Ponte Vedra, each community has its own charms. But each also has areas you'd want to avoid (isn't that the case in any beach town?). If your job is in the southside area, there are many apartment and condo communities that offer gated access for increased security, and the St Johns Town Center is a fabulous development offering residences, hotels, and fine shopping and dining all in one spot. It boasts everything from Target to Louis Vuitton. A new section will open next year anchored by a new Nordstrom. It's definitely an area you'll want to consider. Our office is in the Ortega/Avondale area, and while we don't specialize in property management, we'd be happy to help you get your bearings and find your way around. We work closely with a couple of property managers in the area who can show you specific apartments, houses or condos that might fit your needs. Call us at 1-800-886-6160 or email homes@fredmillergroup.com if we can help! Good luck to you, and welcome to Jacksonville! There's a lot to love here.
I relocated here 14 years ago from PA and I found buying a house was the best decision for me. You get more for your money than in Maryland. But if you're intent on getting an apartment we can find one for you at a reasonable cost. Contact me at mlrogers30@yahoo.com with your preferences. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Move to Mandarin. My cousins live in Colombia Maryland!
Most realtors don't work with renters unless they are property managers. Apartment complexes do not pay commissions to realtors, so you probably won't get much help there, since we are all 1099 employes and commission is how we feed and support our families. The home inspector is correct in all the statements made. You did not mention a budget or where you want to live in relation to your job relocation, that is key to assisting you.

I have had much success helping folks relocate to Jacksonville. Feel free to contact me here if I may be of assistance.
Mayport Rd is A1A. Beaches are more expensive than other areas so if affordable is an issue then you are better off looking on the other side of the intracoastal waterway. I moved here from White Oak, Md just down the columbia pike about 30 years ago. Try spotcrime.com , not perfect but they get their stats from JSO. Good luck!