Home Buying in Bismarck>Question Details

J, Home Owner in Just Us, Atlanta, GA

Relocating to Bismarck soon

Asked by J, Just Us, Atlanta, GA Fri Jun 14, 2013

Hi, I will be arriving in Bismarck in a couple of months and I have trying to get my accommodations situated before I get into town. I have been hitting this pretty hard the last couple of days and I haven't come up with much. I would like to get an apartment secured asap. Just a small 1 bedroom, but I would like something that doesnt look like the ones I used to trash in college. I understand there will be waiting lists, but does anyone have a couple of desirable ones I should be looking for? I plan on taking my time looking for the right home, but I am really interested in getting something on a couple of rural acres that have nothing to do with an HOA. Actually thats my requirement, no HOA. Now that being said in your expert opinions, do you feel that this is a good time to be buying a home in the area? I am concerned that these homes cant stay at these prices and buying one now would be insane. Thanks again for any tips!

Answers

2
Hi Joshua,
I don't work with rental property, so I can't help you with that situation - except to suggest you speak with someone at IMM or Rocky Gordon Property Management. RJR Property Management is another good company to call.
Regarding our rural properties, as far as I know there are no HOA fees with rural property around here. No Homeowners Association. However, if you mean Covenants and Restrictions that control if you can build a shop and what size shop you can build, now that's different. Most of the areas do have some restrictions. Some say No manufactured homes are allowed, etc.

Regarding our market...I think it's a great time to buy a home in this area. Interest rates are still spectacular. Will the prices hold? I can't answer that question. ONE of the key factors to strong home prices is the Unemployment rate. Ours is EXTREMELY low, so there is a huge demand for housing! We have a housing shortage right now. We have a rental shortage. I understand there are some apartment buildings coming online soon, so the rental situation may change a little.

We have people coming from the Dickinson and Williston area trying to get away from the Oil Boom business and we still have families that moved here from flooded areas in 2011. We have a VERY low percentage of repossessed homes in our state too. Builders can't keep up with demand. Our cities are working hard to bring infrastructure to new school sites, and new home sites etc. Maybe in a few years we will catch up, who knows. Rents are at an all time high in many areas of the state.

Most of my clients say they would rather own a home, then keep paying the high rental fees. If you plan on living here for a short time, you may want to rent. But if you plan on making this your home, I highly recommend you buy something. You have a big decision to make. Please visit with a lender as soon as possible to review your options. Call if I can help you further.
Mary 701-220-3348
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 14, 2013
Ok thank you for the advice. I have secured a 1 bedroom to stay in while I search for a home. As far as HOAs the fees werent the thing I really disliked. It was the fact that it was one more layer of bureaucracy that I had to answer to.

I wont sign another covenant that prohibits me from exercising my own free will on my own property without some committees permission.