Home Buying in Baltimore>Question Details

Relocate Soon, Home Buyer in Baltimore, MD

Relocating to Baltimore for a job. I want safe, family friendly, good schools and would love to stay under $200k if possible. What area?

Asked by Relocate Soon, Baltimore, MD Fri Jun 22, 2012

Answers

15
We're retiring and moving out of a beautiful three bedroom, three and 1/2 bath 2 car garage townhome in White Marsh. Easy commute to just about anywhere in the Baltimore area. Ideal for a family moving to the area. see https://sites.google.com/site/5066kemsleycourt/home
Contact me through my website if you like and we can discuss further. http://www.MarylandHOMESTeam.com/
Try Roland Park, Medfield, Hampden, Abell, Guilford, Schenley Terrace, Hoes Heights, Wyman Park and others.
As REALTORS(R) we cannot discuss safety, crime, school quality, or familial status, due to Fair Housing Laws.

There are many places in the Baltimore area that you may enjoy living in, depending on how long of a commute, how many bedrooms, baths, and more that you are looking for.

I would love to speak with you to find out more of your needs, so areas can be narrowed down.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty
Good luck.....
I moved to Baltimore County three years ago. As an experienced educator, I am being paid less and the cost of living is outrageous. I cannot afford a decent home in a decent area. I am still living with relatives because I cannot find a decent, detached home for me and my two children. The detached homes here are so expensive. It is impossible to find a nice 4-bedroom home with an attached garage, and a medium size backyard for under $290,000, in a nice area. The detached homes here in Baltimore County are twice as expensive. A house like that would cost between $325,000 to $375,000, if not more. I have been looking online, everyday, faithfully, for hours, for three years, but to no avail. Maybe you might have better luck, if you want a townhome, or home without an attached garage, or a yard.
Best wishes, and Welcome to Baltimore!
Welcome to Baltimore
Moving into a new City can be very exciting. As far as looking for a neighborhood to live in, there are a lot of on-line resources that can connect you to the planning departments of local jurisdications which can be a starting point. However, depending on your circumstances, you might want to consider renting for a while to let yourself acclimate to the new environment and get you familiar with neighborhoods close to where you will be working.

If that is not an option for you, people where you will be working might be able to give you some insights about neighborhoods convenient to work. Some employers also provide incentives to their employees to purchase properties. In most cases, the incentives are targeted to first time homebuyers. But in some cases, they may also be available to other people.

For information on neighborhoods in Baltimore City, in addition to City government, there is a web site http://www.livebaltimore.com that provides a lot of info on neighborhoods, news and developments for the City. Not sure where your job will be, but if you have not relocated yet, you can start with these on-line resources to get started. A good map of the metro area also will help.

Finally, as a point of information, Baltimore City and Baltimore County are different jurisdictions. In most places, Cities are located in Counties. Here the City is considered a County.

Congrats on the job!
Judy london Muray, Associate Broker
Cummings & Co, Realtors
443 804 9506

Happy hunting.
Baltimore has over 200 distinct communities within the city limits. In addition there are many great communities around the city. Depending on your individual needs and wants it's hard to recommend just one neighborhood. In December I sold a great end unit townhome to a couple just outside Catonsville. The home had a nice fenced yard for their 2 daughters, schools with good test scores and it was less than $200,000. There are some great homes in the Parkville area that are under $200,000 as well. You might even be able to find a single family detached home there. I just sold a nice 3 bedroom single family detached home in Middle River for $148,000. The family who owned the home stayed in the neighborhood but purchased a larger home for their growing family.
I'd love to talk to you about Baltimore and what it has to offer you and your family and which communities may suit your needs. There are some great neighborhoods and great affordable opportunities.
June Piper-Brandon
Associate Broker
Century 21 New Millennium
410-292-0100 (direct)
410-730-8888 (office)
I suggest you contact me because i don't work the Baltimore area but I know a few outstanding agents that do! Call me at 301-785-1995 and i wil help you figure out where to be and then who would best be suited for your real estate needs!
You may want to take a look at Harford County. The schools are top rated and you can find a decent home in the 200k range. I moved here 22 years ago from the city and have not looked back. There are too many family things to do up here to list but when people move here from out of town they are very happy. It really all depends on how far you want to be from your job as to the area you choose. If you would like to check out this area please give me a call @443-417-6493 and we can "take a tour".
There are many choices in Baltimore area to live and they are safe. My suggestion will be that you see the convenience of work and see what kind of commute do you really want everyday. If you are moving from Midwest then prices and style of homes will be a shock since I went thru same thing.

I don't know how you feel about it, but I have always suggested my out of clients to rent something for short or long term whatever they like, then talk to coworkers, drive by different part of Baltimore, check out schools, then decide an area where you might like to live. When you don't know anything about city you are moving into, you might feel pressured in making a decision and you are not educated enough about city.

I will be happy to help you find a home in Baltimore are, you can reach me @443-838-0885 or email me @asha.goel@longandfoster.com

Good luck and may be I will hear from you.

Asha
There are so many good choices we need to narrow it down a bit. Work location is important so you don't spend all the time on the road. Also dwelling type (townhouse or single) is important as well as the number of bedrooms. Give me a call and I can recommend several neighborhoods for consideration.

Bob McGee
Advance Realty Timonium
(410) 560-4574
my blog: http://www.baltimorerealty.blogspot.com
What area of Baltimore are you relocating to? You can start your home search with a FREE ListingBook account that is Directly Tied to our MLS. From here we can communicate your housing needs and what best suites your family. http://www.FREEListingBook.com/
Ruxton and Riderwood is a great area and if you look,.you will find a house in your price range. My father is a realtor with many years of experience in,that area and I can close loans inside three weeks sometimes two. Another good area is Rogers Forge ..good schools. If you want the city I would not advise anywhere but Roland Park or Homeland. I grew up in Baltimore.. I can help you.
Feel free to visit my website or give me a call. Donnacanhelpyou.com or 410-925-9298 to learn more about areas in Baltimore.