Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Cincymatty, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Relocating to Austin for job at UT (wife no kids presently). Looking to Buy at $160-200K. Would like easy commute (<40 min) with good resale.?

Asked by Cincymatty, Austin, TX Wed Dec 14, 2011

Advice? Suburbs would probably work better for us, but could certainly be flexible. Probably looking for >1800 square feet. Thanks!

Answers

31
South Austin 78745, 78748, or 78749 zip codes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 14, 2011
Dear Cincymatty,
As I said before there are several neighborhoods north or south that could work for you. The key is to have a local Realtor help you. In Austin the Seller pays the Buyers agent commission so there is no reason not to have help on this purchase. You may think if you don't have a Realtor to help you, that you will save the Buyers Agent commission. That assumption is wrong, because the commission is determined at the time the seller signs the listing agreement with their Realtor. So your not saving anything, the listing agent gets the entire commission. So by all means get someone on your side to help you to navigate purchasing a new home.
Betina
Welcome to Austin!
If you are still looking consider North Austin's established neighborhoods like Gracywoods, Angus Valley, or Pflugerville and others with larger lots and mature trees. Give us a call and we'll tell you more about our area's hidden treasures.

Emily Lee
Lee Properties
2200 Rio Grande St.
Austin, TX 78705
512-906-0383
I'm not an agent. We live about 20-30 minutes from UT (depending on traffic) in the Great Hills neighborhood, northwest Austin. If you and your wife are considering staying for a while, school district is important too. The good school areas are usually what's keeping the home value up. Where we live, it's very close to downtown/UT, but the school district is zoned to be Round Rock school district. I wouldn't say all Round Rock schools are better than Austin schools, but overall it has higher ratings. We like this pocket a lot because it's so close to the intersection of the three major highways (183, mopac/loop1, 360) yet it's just outside of the inner loop so it's affordable. You can search on http://www.austinhomesearch.com, put in the zip code 78759, and school district Round Rock, and you can see the homes in the area I'm talking about. Great neighborhood.
Dear CincyMatty,
Here is a link to the homes listed for sale in Cherry Creek right now. There are 14 homes, years built range from 1973-1996. The average home is a two story 3 bed, 2 bath home with a 2 car garage.The homes are generally between 1100SF-2163 square feet.The average price per square foot is $117.33 for the lat three months. If these homes or any others interest you and your not presently working with a Realtor please give me a call. I am happy to help!

http://actris.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/EmailView.aspx?r=1536…

Cheers,
Betina

Austin Home Girls Realty
(512)771-6318
Dear Cincymatty,
A couple of good entry level neighborhoods are Maple Run and Cherry Creek. These neighborhoods are established and you can often find a bargain under $200K. Its about 15 minutes to downton Austin and the main UT campus. I would be happy to send you the list of all homes presently for sale in these neighborhoods if you like.

Right now there are 7 homes for sale in Maple Run, priced between $162,500-$199,990. They have between 1320SF-2603SF and were built between 1981-1993. The best value appears to be at 4611 Galapagos-1806 square feet and listed for sale at $97.45 per square feet, list price $176,000. If you wish to see these homes or any others please give me a call.

http://actris.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/EmailView.aspx?r=7236…

Betina

Betina Foreman- Realtor, C.N.E.
Austin Home Girls Realty
(512)771-6318
Unless you have your heart set on owning a large plot of land, you will want to keep your commute time to under 20 minutes. I'm an investor in Austin and learned the hard way. I can tell you an unbiased (no commission here:)
idea of the best places to live in Austin. Realtors well tell you anything to sell a home.
While renting for awhile until you get to know Austin and it's traffice patterns for a while is an option, interest rates are at record lows currently and who know where they will be a year or longer down the road. There are plenty of homes meeting your size and price range currently available, but inventory levels havve been shrinking. May I suggest searching for homes based on your criteria on-line using the search by map features provided and when you find one you think you like go to http://www.move-to-Austin.com and it will give you communte times from that location to downtown(next to UT) for the commute time. Then go to http://www.walkscore.com and it will show everything in the way of parks, schools, restaurants, groceries, shopping, banking and entertainment near that home.

Rodney Harris
Realtor/Austin Team Leader
Ready Real Estate
512-585-5017
rharris@readyrealestate.com
There are plenty of possibilities, but I would highly recommend you rent for a period of time to get accustomed the Austin area and the traffic patterns, amenities, etc. You certainly don't want to regret your purchase in the event you buy immediately and find out there are other areas that would have been more preferable to you. While some would disagree, I am confident that the market won't be changing for the better for quite some time so don't rush into a purchase.

Guy E. Gimenez ABR, CRS, GRI
Broker / Owner / Investor
The PowerHouse Group
512-731-5613
guy@phgbrokers.com
Web Reference: http://www.phgbrokers.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 16, 2011
Tax and home prices are much lower. I have a property in Mckinney, Tx . You will love it.
I suppose you will be wearing an orange sweater soon. Great Stadium (huge).
Local Agents are awesome, you will be fine.
Matt -

I sent you a quick search for homes that meet your criteria in SW Austin. Take a look at them and let me know if any of them resonate with you. There are many areas to consider, and I thought you might find value in seeing what is out there.

I look forward to welcoming you to Austin and to hearing your feedback on the results of the first search.

Peace in your home,

Doug Vogelsass
REALTOR :: Agents for Change Real Estate

cell :: (512) 739-0457
email :: doug [at] myagentsforchange.com

15% of our net agent fees at the closing of our client's property will be donated to a charitable organization of their choice. We do this with ALL clients. This is our way of expressing our appreciation to both our clients and the worthy causes dedicated to the betterment of our communities.

9600 Escarpment Blvd :: Suite 745-75 :: Austin, TX :: 78749
Sponsoring broker :: David Komie, Attorney-at-Law (License# 584762).

http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-K.pdf
Texas Law requires all real estate licensees to give the above information about brokerage services.
I've been out with another client relocating to Austin all day so am getting your question later than I'd prefer, bit I'd still like to help you. There are many areas thet fit your criteria and 1000's of Homes available. I would recommend discussing more specifics with me and then I would custom tailor a Web Site to send only Homes that fit your criteria. It will update you immediately with new listings, price changes, etc. so you get a jump on other Buyers. It also allows you and your wife to make notes to yourselves (and me), save Homes to Possibilities, Favorites, etc, and search on your own in real time in our MLS. It is a fantastic tool my clients find invaluable!! Also, getting Pre-Approved with a lender early on is very important for many reasons, which I'd be happy to explain, unless your buying outright. Feel free to click on my name to the right and review my Credentials, Client Testimonials, etc. and see if we might be a good fit to work together. I do NOT charge you anything for Buyer Representation, have a GREAT team of Lenders(they do NOT charge my clients for Pre-Approval, btw), Inspectors, Title companies, etc., and can make your transition to Austin VERY smooth! Thanks, Joe Jarusinsky, REALTOR/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Co. (512) 261-4415
There are so many choices available to you. What you need to be comparing are varying tax rates, water availability and pricing, HOA fees, commute convenience etc etc. There are so many considerations! Don't buy without thorough investigation and looking at all options. For appreciation consider all the previous items, buy newer constructions and even with no children yet make sure you have excellent schools available. Would be more than happy to work with you.

Tom Hess
Real Estate Broker/PLR
Certified ECO Broker
Cell: (512) 567-8522
austhess@aol.com
Here is yet another REALTOR's answering your question :)

I live 22 miles west of downtown and it takes me around 45 minutes. You mentioned that you'd like to keep you commute to 40 minutes or less, with good resale. This certainly opens up your search to a large area Central Texas.
I have called Austin HOME for more than 20 years. Living and raising a family in this city is a joy for both my wife and me. Whether you seek an urban, hill country, or lake setting, Austin appeals to a variety of homeowners.

I am happy to show you around and help you decide which neighborhoods best fit your needs. Being a University of Texas at Austin and Texas State University graduate, with a background in geography and environmental planning, I have a genuine appreciation of Austin’s diverse landscape and having lived in different areas of Austin, I am familiar with the unique venues the capital city has to offer.

Again, congratulations on your new job. Please feel free to contact me at 512-971-1773 with any real estate assistance. I can also be contacted via e-mail at aelhage@jbgoodwin.com

Albert
Good morning and congratulations on your new job.
Jus over a week ago, one of my clients purchased a great home in the SoCo aea, zip code 78704. The home was freshly painted, 3 bedrooms and had a roof and AC system that were only about a year old: all appliances remained as well. Our goal was a great location and a good investment. This zipcode is very difficult to find homes under $200,000. His purchase was under $175,000. This isn't the only area to consider, but for investment upside: it is the holy grail. The key to our success was a thorough search coupled with active touring. There are some areas just a bit farther out, that offer house more for the money: it would be good to compare the urban vs. suburbs homes.

I am a broker/owner of my company and I am an active investor, as well. I would be honored to assist.

Call, text or email anytime.

Robert H. Nelson
512.517.4432
robert@highway290west.com
The Associates Austin

Congrats to moving to the Best City in Texas! Austin has many options that would fit that limited description of your criteria, but I'm sure you have a vision of what the home you would like to live in looks like. I would get a picture of your home, have an idea of what the neighborhood would be like and contact a licensed Realtor to help you. We have a helpful website for buyers with some nice resources, please feel free to utilize. http://www.goldwasserrealestate.com/buy-your-home best of luck and let me know if I can be of assistance!

David Schneider 512-638-6585.
Thank you for your question and congratulations on your new job at UT. I'm not sure if you have lived in
Austin before and if you have not, you and your wife are going to absolutely fall in love with Austin and the surrounding areas. I have lived in Austin since 1988 and there's not a better city in Texas to live in. You mentioned that you'd like to keep you commute to 40 minutes or less, with good resale. This certainly opens up your search to a large area Central Texas. I have been in the real estate business for over 10 years now and have quite a bit of experience buying and selling properties all over Central Texas.

Again, congratulations on your new job. Please feel free to contact me at 512-554-3749 with any real estate assistance. I can also be contacted via e-mail at johnraudy@yahoo.com

John Raudy
512-554-3749
I have a client with the same criteria, moving from Dallas. If you are planning on starting your family soon, I really like The Village at Mayfield Ranch Area. The price is right, nice neighborhood, I35 is right there to hop on, and schools are good. Resale is good for families.

If you do not want to start a family soon, maybe you should look at a condo in the UT area. They run around 160-250, but that is for about 800-1200 square feet. Resale good for investors or you could rent it out when you decide to move.

I hope this helps.
rhonda@avalaraustin.com
What an exciting time for you and your family?!!? I know navigating a move to a new city can be overwhelming and I'd love to help. As a UT alumni, life-long resident of Austin, mother and a Realtor, I think I could be an especially good resource for you. Please contact me to get started on your search right away!
Jennifer Keefer
Capital City Sotheby's Imternational Realty
Jennkeeferrealestate@gmail.com
512/924-4760

Yes, suburbs would work better because you get a lot more house for the money. In central Austin (UT area) you could barely buy a 2/2 condo in your price range whereas in Round Rock, Pflugerville or Cedar Park/Leander you could buy a really nice, spacious home (seems like kiddies are going to be there in the future and they need space and a yard to play in and maybe a dog too).

A lot or agents have offered their services, myself included. If you want a reliable, knowledgeable agent who will listen to you and help you every step of the way and work in your best interest, contact me and we'll chat more about what and where you can buy a home and what I will do to help you find the best home for the best price.

Vivianne
vdordea@austin.rr.com
Welcome to Austin! I have lived here for 35 of my 40 years and still lovin' it! The suburbs may be your best bet mainly because of the price point your trying to stay under, allthough there are still some good options inside the city limits. Obviously, you get more bang for your buck the further out you get. I work the UT area everyday as I work with investor properties in sales and preleasing their properties to college students in the Campus and Hyde Park areas. I'd love to tell you there is something there in your price range ( besides a condo), but as I am sure you know Central Austin price per sq. foot is pretty high. I live in South Austin and commute to the UT area everyday and it takes me about 20 minutes, 30-40 in rush hour traffic. I live in a 1868 sq. ft house that I paid $172K for last year. It is a bit older, but I put about $10K in upgrades in and have made it my own and should be able to get about $195K for it today. Just a thought.

I'd be happy to help you guys find the right place whether you decide to buy if if you want to lease first. I have a lender in place if you need assistance with the financing. You can go to my web-site to view listings in Central Austin or use the "custom search" part of my web-site to view listings outside the central region that may be more specific to your needs. Feel free to call me direct at 512-739-5172. Good Luck to you and again Welcome to Austin!
Hello Cincymatty,

I would be more than happy to discuss some options with you tomorrow! I'd like to ask you a few more questions to help narrow down your search.

Feel free to browse my website at http://www.RomanLopezRealEstate.com or call me direct at 512-947-2250.

Roman Lopez
Hi Cincymatty (is that a code name for Cincinnati?),

I know you said you wanted to purchase, but I would give you an alternative for now that might seem odd for someone in my position. Get your feet wet first, before potentially locking yourself into a neighborhood that you might not be in the best position to make the right decision. That is, consider renting for a year to get a handle on the area. No matter how schooled a broker might be in the Austin area, they are not you.

You can rent a nice home (single family, condo, townhome, etc.) and take your time to get to know Austin. It's a big place, with 1.7M people. A lot (let me say that again - A LOT) will depend on where you and your wife will be working. Traffic in Austin can be a challenge. Unless you've been here a lot, it's a little cart before the horse to try to buy something, but that's just my opinion.

Call me to discuss.

Jeffrey
512-913-7480
Broker/Owner - Exclusive Client Agency
Part of the Keller Williams Team
Hi there,

Everyone has given you good advice on locations, etc. I have done several relocations for UT and am on a few of their preferred realtor lists. I would be delighted to assist you on your move to Austin. Thank you and I hope to hear from you.

Angele Moyseos
VOX Real Estate LLC
512-466-8252
acmoyseos@gmail.com
Hi, You will have several great options. I invite you to visit my website: TrueDreamRealty.com. I pride myself in being available and dependable in meeting your real estate needs. I would love to show you and your wife around, while discussing advantages and disadvantages of many of the areas. I believe I will be able to help you find your perfect match. My phone number is (512)560-9318. Thank you so much for your consideration.
Web Reference: http://truedreamrealty.com
Cincymatty,

CONGRATULATIONS to you on the relocation to Austin. I am confident that you will find our fair city and surrounding area to offer all the qualitites of life most people are seeking in today's lifestyles. Let me bottom line that- It;s just a cool place to live and call home. Way to go on the job at UT. What a great opportunity.

Your general description of basic needs/desires leaves a very broad spectrum and you a lot of choices. Based on your work you have several great options. I would be happy to discuss with you in more detail your relocation situation. It really is a process that needs careful planning, consideration and guidance. We have over 28 years in the business. We put that experience to work for you.

In the meantime feel free to visit our web site , http://www.cornerstonenewhomesolutions.com, where you can search for homes, communities, areas, schools, and much more all from one location and without obligation. We would rather earn your trsut and business.

How exciting for you and your wife. HOOK'EM HORNS!

Stephen B. McClain, Broker Owner
Cornerstone New Home Solutions

512 876-3116
http://www.cornerstonenewhomesolutions.com
smcclain@cornerstonenewhomesolutions.com
Good news, you have several choices. Feel free to call me now if you would like to talk about. I have lived in Austin for 34 years and love sharing what I know about Austin and its real estate market with people.

Call, text or email, anytime.

Deb Groom
512-825-6980
deb@whyliveinaustin.com

Or search for homes on my website:
http://www.whyliveinaustin.com
My favorite neighborhoods, in that price point, with less than a 20 minute commute are in South Austin, but my recommendations always depend on your lifestyle. Not only work site, but recreation, hobbies, favorite modes of transportation, all play heavily on where I guide a client. Welcome to Austin!
There are many great areas that could work for you. If you have plans on coming to the Austin area anytime
soon I could recommend a few areas to get started to see where you and your wife feel most at home. Feel free to contact me to discuss your needs in more detail. SM
Will be glad tro help in the central to north areas.
Mat,

You have several options so what I would recommend is to contact a local agent and have a discussion inregards to your preferences and lifestyle. I would be more than happy to have a no obligations buyers consultation with you and your family and give you my opinion. Feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Lalo Herrera
512-698-1588
Lalo@kw.com