Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Solangehooks, Renter in Flower Mound, TX

Relocating to Austin. Husband is a pilot we can be as far as 3 hours from the Austin airport but we would prefer to be no more than an hour.

Asked by Solangehooks, Flower Mound, TX Tue May 7, 2013

We are looking for a home minimum 4bed 2 bath 2,800 square foot home on at least 2 acres. We would like to be nestled in the woods near water. I love to garden and raise chickens. I am relocating from Ohio where I sold antiques and would love to be near a historical town or a place that has antique shopping. I have family in Dallas and would prefer to be on the north or west side of Austin but no more then 1 hour from Austin's airport. I really want to live in a hip town outside of Austin.

Answers

15
Solangehooks,

Congrats on your exciting relocation opportunity to Austin. I am confident that you will find the area to be everything you expect from a "cool" place to call home. If acreage is the driving force and you want close proximity to quaint "old town" environments- shopping, dining, etc. then I would agree with my peers that Georgetown and Bastrop would be greeat opportunities for you. I would also throw in Salado, TX which is about 10-15 minutes north of Georgetown. It is also a great ecclectic area offering acreage lots and a tremendous downtown atmosphere consisting of artist, antiques and great food- EVEN A WINERY. Feel free to visit our site - http://www.CornerstoneNewHomeSolutions.com where you can shop hassle free for homes based on your preferences and convenience. We would love the opportunity to earn your business.

Our best to you,

Stephen B. McClain, Broker Owner
Cornerstone New Home Solutions

512-876-3116
smcclain@cornerstonenewhomesolutions.com
Solange,

There is a bedroom community just east of Austin that is 30 minutes from the Airport called Bastrop. The commute is all highway and very relaxed. There are a couple of estate communities that offer a lot of what you are looking for as well as several acreage properties that you would love. Bastrop has a growing artist community, a great venue for live music, quaint little downtown with antique shops and neat specialty shops.

I personal live in Bastrop and love all the little town quirks with the convenience of being able to be in the heart of Austin in 45 minutes for anything the bigger city has to offer.

When are you relocating?

Contact me and let me start looking for you. I have a couple of places in mind already.

Elizabeth Wood
512-761-5738
The See Beth Sell Team at Keller Williams
Web Reference: http://www.seebethsell.com
Hello Solangehooks,

I think you'll be very happy in the Austin area. I'm sure that there are a lot of realtors that can help you by making many recommendations. There are a lot of fabulous properties out there. I pride myself in giving very dedicated service. I listen to my clients and make myself available according to their schedule. I'd love to help you. I will answer my phone. My number is (512)560-9318, and my email is Connie@TrueDreamRealty.com . I am with Capital City RE/MAX where you will get my individualized, customized and professional service, with a nationally known company. I'd love to hear from you!
Austin definitely has some great options for you. What price range are you looking for? My family also lives in Flower Mound so I make the commute often and understand the importance of being located in the Northern portion of Austin rather than South! Georgetown has some fabulous properties that have access to water, lots of acerage, with a cute downtown area. Georgetown is also located on 130, an 85mph toll road. It is a 40 mile drive from Georgetown down this toll road to the airport! Feel free to contact (text, email, call) me at any time! I'd be happy to help!

Warmest Regards,

Lindsay French
Lindsayfrench@kw.com
(512) 522-7255
My reccommendation would be Spicewood. It is quintessential Texas Hill Country with plenty of properties near the water and less than an hour from the airport. Its a wonderful area that is growing rapidly, so if you plan on staying for a while you may have a good investment on your hands. Nearby you'll find antique shops, family owned restaurants, and you aren't too far from the conviences of the city in Lakeway and Bee Cave. You are also close to HWY 71, which will take you to a toll-way just east of austin called 130. This is important for when you want to visit family in Dallas as it lets you skip the downtown traffic of I 35 by bypassing Austin all together!

I will say that most of the Texas hill country, while beautiful, doesn't have a plethora of tall trees. We have a variety of Oaks that are typically less than 80 feet tall. If you would prefer a tall forest, rather than the hill country, Bastrop would be a great choice east of Austin.

If you would like to learn more about Spicewood and the surrounding areas, please visit my website:

RealEstatebyRyanSmith.com

Feel free to call or email me anytime. I'm always happy to answer question.

Ryan Smith
512-466-1460
rsmith@essextexas.com
I think you will have a lot of options that will suit your needs. By the way, my father in law is a retired American Airline pilot living right near Flower Mound.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, and I would be happy to set up your own personal website that shows available homes in real time with detailed information and pictures that meet your criteria.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588
Congratulations on your move from Ohio! I grew up there. Happy to help! 512-222-9795.
happy to help - you can email me

allan@agreservices.net
http://www.agreservices.net
There are several communities surrounding Austin that may fit your criteria. Dripping Springs, Wimberly and Bastrop come to mind as options within a 1 hour radius of the airport. As you expand from there many, many options exist. One thing to consider is a smaller neighborhood closer in to Austin that may fit the bill. Austin is filled with quirky neighborhoods. One that comes to mind is the Cuernavaca area. A small neighborhood in far west Austin where you can find large lots without HOA restrictions, a hip population close to Lake Austin within about 30 minutes of ABIA.

I would love to help you with your relocation needs. Please feel free to be in contact any time.

Jennifer Salas
Keller William Realty
512-507-4460
Solangehooks,

Looking for water: want reasonable proximity to antique shopping: prefer west (not southwest) or north of Austin for proximity to Dallas: want to be an hour away from the airport but no more than 3: want to be in woods near water (how about on water?) - winner is - Marble Falls.

1 hour from the airport (not including traffic issues). 1 hour from Fredericksburg - best antique shopping in Central Texas. Easy trip to Dallas on 281 (about 3 hours). Small town, but lots of people from Austin frequent Marble Falls because of all the water (Lake Buchanan, Inks Lake, Lake LBJ, Lake Marble Falls). Some of the best values in the hill country.

But, this is not Austin, it's the hill country. Hip is downtown Austin, but that may be too "hip" for you, not a lot of "forests", and unless you have a couple of million, getting to water is going to be difficult.

Your requirement for being near water means you're going to be somewhere along the Colorado river (this is the one that runs west to east, not the one you often hear about that runs from the Rockies to California). Affordable land near the river is very expensive as you get closer to Austin.

Going east of the airport, you should consider Bastrop - water, pine trees, great value, small town, 30 minutes to the airport pretty much regardless of traffic, not known for antique shopping, easy trip to Dallas though.

But your price point also needs to be known, and the style and size of home you're looking for, along with any particular amenities you're wanting.

Feel free to call or email me for more info.

Jeffrey Schnabel
Broker | Partner | Keller Williams
512-913-7480
schnabeljs@gmail.com
There are bunches of fantastic homes off Hwy 71. This is a nice midpoint between Marble Falls and Bergstrom. Quiet and country, but with excellent access to the city comforts.

Peace in your home,

Doug Vogelsass
REALTOR :: Agents for Change Real Estate

cell :: (512) 739-0457

10% of our net agent fees at the closing of our client's property will be donated to a charitable organization of their choice. We do this with ALL clients. This is our way of expressing our appreciation to both our clients and the worthy causes dedicated to the betterment of our communities.

9600 Escarpment Blvd :: Suite 745-75 :: Austin, TX :: 78749
Sponsoring broker :: David Komie, Attorney-at-Law (License# 584762).
While you provided a lot of information an in depth conversation is needed to narrow the window.
My best friend moved to Columbus a few years ago. I recently helped another family from Cincy, the Schottenstein family. There are several areas to consider. I live in the West/Southwest of Austin in the Dripping Springs - Bee Cave - lake Travis area. We also wanted a little space. Our neighborhood has 1.5 to 5 acre lots. Many areas to consider.

I'd like to talk with you and get a better idea of what you are looking for.

Bill Austin
When I think of a hip town outside of Austin I think of Wimberley, is not north of Austin but it is west. Great antique shopping, beautiful cypress trees and the Blanco river. I'd love to help you. My website is http://www.AustinHomesandMusic.com or you can reach me at 512/914-6118 or austinhomesells@gmail.com

Brenda Sours
Congrats on your decision to move to the greater Austin area. I decided to move here almost 10 years ago and have never looked back. If you would like, get in touch with me and I will be happy to assist you and find you the type of property you are looking for. I happen to be one of the top agents with the #1 company in the greater Austin area, and the US for that matter, plus I have a great team of lenders, inspectors, etc. to assist us throughout the process. I help folks like you relocate on a regular basis, and I'm also connected with the flying community as well. In fact, I'm taking flying lessons myself!

Feel free to give me a call anytime from 10 AM to 7 PM central standard time seven days a week, and we can discuss your move and I'll do all I can to assist you!!

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Ranked #1 by Buyers and Sellers (JD Power & Assoc. 2012) Call 512-261-4415
What is your maximum acceptable price?