Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

Phillymove, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

Relocating from Philadelphia

Asked by Phillymove, Charlotte, NC Sun Jun 26, 2011

I am moving from Philadelphia to Charlotte this fall and I am looking to buy in a diverse neighborhood which is close to stores and restaurants and not too spread out. I am looking for home with more space than up north but not looking to walk a mile to my nearest neighbor. Still looking for that neighborhood feel. What would you recommend'?

Answers

20
Hi Phillymove!

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming move to our area! I have great clients who just moved here from your area as well and absolutely love it here! Charlotte is a very transient city so, diversity is commonplace in the area. The lifestyle that you are describing fits well into our historic Charlotte neighborhoods, where walkability is imperative to the residents there.

Determining your specifications in a home will help to determine which community fits your needs completely--number of bedrooms, baths, square footage, style and price range.

I have a wealth of information on the local neighborhoods on my website as we represent so many clients moving to the area from out of state. Help yourself to the information there and let me know if I can be of assistance to you.
Congratulations on your new adventure!

My husband and I moved here from Philadelphia 27 years ago. We have never regretted our decision. It has been a truly wonderful life we have made here for our family. It is very different than the culture you are accustomed to in Philly. Charlotte is developing some of the great traditions that the folks up north have celebrated for decades. (Such as the "Taste of Charlotte" with various well known area restaurants setting up like the street festivals in Center City Philadelphia.)

There are neighborhoods that are self sustaining in the region but, for the most part, stores and restaurants are not included in planned developments on a scale like Philadelphia. We have areas that are close to uptown that have very quaint shops and amazing restaurants. This are is referred to as Dilworth/Myers Park. The prices there are a little hefty if you are looking for a lot of space because of its desirable proximity to Uptown Charlotte.

The area surrounding South Park is one of the best, in my opinion, to gain access to great shopping, restaurants, schools, and still be extremely close to Uptown Charlotte. At the heart of South Park there is a very elegant mall that has Nordstroms, Belk, Dilworth, and Macy's. Many very nice hotels surround that immediate vicinity and I would recommend that you consider staying in one of those when you come to town as a good launching pad for your explorations.

Ballantyne lies just south of Charlotte and it is a great place to find homes with nice yards and affordable prices. The stretch along Providence and Rea Roads is host to some of the finest dining and greatest shopping in the area. The Ballantyne Resort and Spa is world famous. There is a classy golf course in the Ballantyne area, as well. This area is accessible via I-485 so it makes it convenient to get to the airport or other interstates fairly simply.

My husband and I have settled just outside of Charlotte in the community of Matthews. We are just inside the Union County border and our home is walking distance to several stores, restatuants, two pharmacies, and less than 2 miles from two of the most glorious golf courses you can imagine, Shannamar Divide and Emerald Lake. Our taxes are lower and our insurance is lower. We are also only 1 mile from I-485 so we can zip around the region with ease.

If you would like to receive a special welcome pack I send out to folks relocating from outside of our area, I would be happy to send that to you. It includes maps that show the various areas and subareas of the region so that you can correlate your searches online with the locations closest to your desired target zones. Feel free to email me or call to receive this package.

Blessings upon you...
Jan Teel
TEEL Realty
704-641-0267 (cell)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 26, 2011
There are quite a few urban setting neighborhoods like you've described in Charlotte - some right in center city, others in various neighborhoods are town. With folks relcating that aren't really familiar with Charlotte I normally begin by doing neighborhood tours and seeing some homes, but really working to select a part of town that is the clients "fit". From there we begin the search in earnest for the actual home or condo in the part of town they like. This is actually quite a bit of fun, I was born here and love showing all parts of the city. I have a couple websites that have some detail about a couple areas in particular though there are many others. Check out http://www.LiveInWilmore.com, http://www.SouthendCharlotte.com, and http://www.NewCondosCharlotte.com for photos tours and other info about these areas. If you'd like more information on any other areas feel free to ask, or google neighborhoos like NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, Chantilly, Elizabeth, Wesley Heights, 4th Ward, 3rd Ward, 1st Ward, Dilworth, Myers Park...
That's a pretty big list, but there are still many other great parts of town with a pretty wide spread in housing types and pricing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 26, 2011
Hey Phillymove,
Seems that you have received alot of advice and help regarding the Charlotte area. I just wanted to make sure you have taken care of the mortgage financing side of the transaction. When you and your real estate agent finds that "perfect house" and you are ready to submit the sales contract, you will need a Pre-Qualification letter to go along with it. Getting the Pre-Qualification completed upfront puts you in a "cash buyer" position to negotiate the best deal. Give me a call 704-780-1161 or email: randy.epley@flagstar.com and I can help you get started on the right foot. Welcome to Charlotte.
Hello Phillymove!

First I want to congratulate you on your decision to relocate to Charlotte, NC and joining Trulia to research the city prior to moving. One thing I can say is that Charlotte is a very diverse city overall, therefore there is no specific neighborhood to recommend.

Depending upon your needs and wants in a home such as the number of bedrooms, bathrooms, square footage, price...if you want a condo, town home or a single family would help narrow down your search. Matching this information to an area with close stores and restaurants would not be a problem.

Buying a home in a new city can be very overwhelming. I would suggest you visiting Charlotte a few times and drive around different areas to get a feel of Charlotte and what you are looking for in a neighborhood. Then contact an agent to view the inside of homes.

Feel free to contact me anytime! Direct 704-839-6005 or email: soldbyyolanda@gmail.com
Hello Philly:

I thought I would touch basis with you again. Have you decided on an agent to help you with your relocation to Charlotte? Charlotte is very diverse, and people are friendly. In most communities, there are shoppping centers within walking distance or a short drive. I relocated to Charlotte in 1995 from New York and I love it here as do most of the people I have met here. There are wonderful events, concerts in the park are a favorite. You have not mentioned your price range or personal needs in the home that would make you happy. If you are not already working with an agent please give me a call TEL: 704 540-0254 or visit my website. http://www.realestatesearch-charlottenc.com. I will be happy to answer any questions.

With kind regards

Jacqueline Rolls-Berardi. Buyers Agent. Keller Williams Realty.
When are you coming down to look around? You're going to find that you get WAAAY more for your money here. And you will love it.

There are many neighborhoods with great diversity and when I moved here from California 20 years ago I was very much surprised to find that it is very much a part of the culture here to be welcoming to our neighbors. And the schools are great, I don't care what anyone says, we have GREAT schools here. In the past year I have helped many transplants who are moving down. And diversity comes in all colors of the rainbow. I have hispanic neighbors, african-american neighbors, east indian neighbors, gay neighbors and white neighbors too.

The main question I would ask is for your budget and if you know what part of town you might be working in. Because we have some great small towns, as well as some more urban neighborhoods, but a budget would help to send you some ideas of the types of homes and neighborhoods you could afford.

Call me anytime, even nights: 704-858-2345. Nate.

____________________________________

If this post answered your questions, GIVE ME A THUMBS UP!
____________________________________
Nate Wolf was recently named a FIVE STAR REALTOR by Charlotte Magazine. He is a top producing real estate sales broker, representing both buyers and sellers. He is a member of the National Association of Realtors, The Charlotte Regional Realtors Association and the Carolina Multiple Listing Services. He is licensed in multiple states and serves all areas of Metro Charlotte from Lake Norman to Lake Wylie and Uptown / Center City to SouthPark and Ballantyne.

http://www.natewolf.com
charlotte mls realtor home listings
http://www.CLThome.com
Web Reference: http://www.natewolf.com
Good morning, Phillymove:
It is easy to find diverse neighborhoods that are close to stores and restaurants and not too spread out. There is also a good diversity of employers in a wide variety of business sectors here. Charlotte is #2 financial center of the nation behind New York and is quickly becoming known as the nations energy center. Many Fortune 500 companies have a presence here, several are headquartered in Charlotte and many well paid executives make their home in the Charlotte region. Some good Charlotte informational sites are: charlottesgotalot.com, http://www.charlotteonestop.com, http://www.charmeck.org, charlottechamber.com, http://www.charlotteobserver.com/943

There are many small towns around here, several lakes, and a fairly vibrant uptown with homes that should appeal in a varienty of price range. If you want a country cottage or estate, a lake home an uptown condo or something in-between, there are good opportunities for each type of home and lifestyle. Many homes here have more space than up north, plus the property taxes and home insurance is much lower. Larger estate type homes on larger lots, and equestrian areas are in Union County (Marvin, Weddington, Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel) and in the Matthesws/Mint Hill area. If you want to maintain a water oriented lifestyle, you will probably be considering Lake Norman, http://www.visitlakenorman.org or Lake Wylie in SC/NC. If you prefer a more urban lake experience over a rural one, you will probably prefer the east side of Lake Norman and Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius, Mooresville.

Charlotte offers many very nice neighborhoods and planned communities ranging from elaborate turn of the century homes to modern construction recently built. A number of these planned communities appeal to those for whom a country club and/or golf setting is familiar or desirable. there is very good availability of newer high quality homes throughout the region. Many of these are in South Charlotte and Ballantyne areas. Uptown Charlotte appeals to a more modern taste and style. Areas close-in to uptown were developed in the 1920's as trolley car suburbs and many homes here have been wonderfully restored and updated.

Selecting a location is one of the most difficult things newcomers face because of the size of region. Charlotte is in Mecklenburg County - which is an 850 square mile area, and there are 11 surrounding counties. So, the job/business location will probably limit/focus your choices significantly. What sometimes helps narrow the decision is schools. In the Charlotte area, school districts are very large and many buyers are researching specific schools closely and giving me direction to search in specific high school attendance zones. Taxes are low here compared to many other parts of the country, and you are slightly lower in South Carolina, which is 12 mi from Uptown Charlotte. If you want more info on schools or taxes, please ask.

Regarding the Real Estate market in Charlotte right now, I turn to Standard & Poor's Case Shiller report. Here we find that the Greater Charlotte region did not have as big a run-up in prices as in other metropolitan areas in America, so we also have not had such large price drops. The Charlotte market peaked in mid-2007. It declined sharply in 2008, less in 2009 and about 4.4% last year. Depending on the price point and specific location, today's prices are fairly stable to slightly declining. Prices average about what they were in 2005. While most of the builder defaulted properties of 2007 and 2008 have been foreclosed and sold, there are still excellent opportunities for purchase of bank owned, short sale and other "distressed" property at below market prices.

Fisher Herman Realty helps clients buy, sell or invest at all price ranges in NC and SC, which is within 12 miles of Uptown Charlotte. Many retirees find SC tax advantages make it preferable over NC. On a case by case basis, we may also assist with commercial properties. In Charlotte, one can find a starter home for about $120,000, a decent family home for about $300,000, or an executive home from about $500,000. Custom homes, estates and lake homes (at one of the three Charlotte area lakes) can range well into the millions. With the current low interest rates and inventory of homes in the Charlotte region, it is a great time to buy a home.
Hello Phillymove, awesome that you are planning on moving here. I have a client that was from Philly and she loves it here! There are a lot of great answers here. Personally, I like South Charlotte. Let me know if I can assist you with any of your real estate needs!
Here is one of the homes I have listed in South Charlotte.... http://www.schefers.net/14805 . This is the website of the nearby shopping center near that house (only 2.5 miles away)..... http://www.shoprivergate.com/ . If you need to find more homes, check out my website below.

Good Luck in your search!
Lavanh
Web Reference: http://www.schefers.net
Hello Phillymove:

My sons attended Villanova College in Philadelphia, and my family relocated to Charlotte from New York in 1995. Ballantyne, and Weddinton would be a good choice, they have very good shopping areas for restaurants and entertainment close by, and you would have that neighborhood enviroment. Please let me know what the ideal home and price range would be for you. Please visit my website for more information on these and other areas to tour. Please call me to discuss your needs.and I can e-mail pictures of homes that fit your criterior.

With best wishes

Website: http://www.realestatesearch-charlottenc.com
Because Charlotte is one of the top areas in the country for relocation most homes and communitieas are within walking or a very short drive to shopping, restaurants and entertainment. I think my website will answere most of your questions. I wrigt about many areas, lifestyle with pictures showing what it is like living here. Please visit my website. http://www.realestatesearch-charlottenc.com. Please call me with any questions, let me know price range and what is the perfect home for you.

With kind regards

I would love to help you out. Pleaqse visit http://www.NoHassleBroker.com. Thanks! -Bill
There are plenty of areas and neighborhoods that fit that criteria. When we moved here we started with areas with good scoring schools and went for there. Are schools a concern for you? If so you may want to narrow down schools you like and then see different housing options in those school districts. If you would like some assistance and some information on the area please contact me. Good luck with you move!
Phillymove,

You could be happy in many areas of Charlotte metro. Tell us more about what you like to do and see. Also, what is your price range? Are you planning to rent first? Are schools important to you? What age group do you want to have as neighbors mostly? For affordablility, you can not beat the University area or the Matthews area. GOOD ADVICE IS SPECIFIC TO YOU! One size does not fit all in real estate. A good realtor tailors his or her advice to the needs and wants of the client.

Congratulations on your decision to move and get educated on Charlotte!
Robin
Congratulations on your upcoming move to Charlotte! The Charlotte area is quite large and offers many types of neighborhood settings - urban, rural, suburban. My goal is to truly understand your needs so that I can provide the best service possible. For example, are you moving with a family or are you single? Is proximity to good schools or work important? Have you spoken with a lender to help determine your budget? Do you prefer older or newer homes? Have you discovered any neighborhoods that you like while visiting Charlotte? What did you like/not like about them? You can visit the communities page on my website to start looking at the different areas in Charlotte. Please call, text or email me with any questions - I'd love to chat with you to discover more of what you're looking for. Good luck!
Phillymove,
I'd be more than happy to help you with your move. A realtor such as myself has access to detailed search tools that can find homes with your criteria. Contact me anytime for help!
I could write a book about different communities that would fit your needs. I have set up a relocation page that has many features. It has an interactive feature you will love and tells and has videos of many locations in Charlotte.
Web Reference: http://www.teamdevine.com
I am a graduate from the "At Home with Diversity" program. The program is sponsored by The Charlotte Association of Realtors. I can help you with your goals.
Dear Phillymove,
The Charlotte area is quite a diverse location in general as so many people have moved to our area. One area comes to mind that you may find appealing, the University City area located in north-east Charlotte.

It is affordable, diverse, close to shopping and restaurants. It does stretch over a large area but you could pick some communities. Also the Northlake Mall area or Mountain Island Lake area may appeal to you also.

Would be happy to talk with you further about more specifics if you like.

Susan Zongker
http://www.myrealtorsusan.com
As a former New Yorker I can say that you will definitely get more for your money in Charlotte. Without knowing your budget, it's hard to recommend an area. Please feel free to email or give me a call.

Mechell Harris
Allen Tate Company
917-864-8726
mechell.harris@allentate.com