Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Kelly Robins…, Home Buyer in Grand Rapids, MI

Relocating from Michigan and I am looking to purchase a home in preferably the Pearland, Friendswood or Fort Bend area, I have a 13 and 15 year old

Asked by Kelly Robinson, Grand Rapids, MI Sat Nov 10, 2012

Both children are academically advanced so good schools are a TOP priority, I work from home and would like to live in a safe area. I will be buying this home cash and my max budget is $65,000, I would like a 4 bedroom, 21/2 bath with both formals, a large family room and big open kitchen large, master an preferably a single level.

Answers

7
Lerma Sampang’s answer
Hello Kelly,

A warm welcome to Texas to you! I hope you find your move a pleasant one & enjoy the variety of homes & communities Texas offer, not to mention our moderate climate.

I have to say, $65K max is unrealistic for the specifications you are looking for. It goes without saying, like anything, they come with a price-an exemplary or good school district and neighborhood. Fortbend, Katy & Lamar School Districts are the most sought-after.

Please visit my website http://www.har.com/lermaisyourrealtor that has user-friendly search features. You may have to look to finance & I could give you some references of reputable mortgage or loan officers I team up with as well.

Please don't hesitate to contact me. I would be delighted to walk with you every step of this transition.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
Welcome to Houston! I transplanted here 22 years ago from Wisconsin and find I tolerate the hot summers much better than the bitter cold winters of the mid-west.

I have to agree with the other responses. Home prices in Houston are comparatively lower than most markets in the US, but not that much lower. You will still be looking at a foreclosure or short sale in the $125K+ range or a non-distress home in the $150+ range. That also depends on your definition of "good schools" and "safe area" which can be very different from one person to the next.

I advise you do some research into school ratings and crime rates in the areas you are interested in. As realtors we are prohibited from giving opinion on these points. Then contact a realtor who can tell you what the price points are in the neighborhoods you find desirable. Be prepared to do some adjusting either up in price or lower in criteria.

Good luck to you and let me know if I can be of further assistance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
Kelly,

Those areas have great schools, but with great public schools comes higher sale prices on the homes. That price would be extremely hard to find. It would likely be a small home and in rough to extremely rough condition.

Let us know if you could go up on the price. Maybe a big chuck down payment and a small mortgage to get you closer to atleast $100,000. Rates are extremely low right now and your mortgage would be cheaper than a 2 bedroom apartment. Let us know if we could assist you.

Mark McNitt
M 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
I wish you the best in looking for a new house!!! Good luck for you and your kids.
The houston area is still one of the most affordable areas in the country and safest neighborhoods.....and solid economy, but I have to say that 65000 will not buy you a large home here in town unless its a forclosure needing a lot of work. You are normally looking at a 2 bedroom townhome for that budget
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
Hi Kelly, glad you are posing this question on Trulia. It is not likely that you will find a 4 bedroom home in these areas for $65,000 cash or otherwise. I am not sure if you have had a chance to research the Houston area at all on the web, but with all the specifications you mentioned, you will have to start looking more in the range of $165,000 and that might be difficult as well.

If you would like to talk I am open to explaining what the possibilities are.

Persis
persis.realtor@gmail.com
713-294-7747
OK Kelly, I will research for you as well. If I do come across something with 4 bedrooms with formals, I will point it out to you. May I have your email?
Persis
Flag Sat Nov 10, 2012
Thank you for tthe reply, I have been researching Houston for the past four years and with Trulia and Zip Realty I have seen numerous houses that are not in the Houston school district that are in my price range, I will continue my search.
Flag Sat Nov 10, 2012
For $65k? That is unrealistic. You cannot have all that you are looking for in that price point.
Hey Lance, to follow up, do you have a more realistic price range that Kelly should expect to pay?
Flag Mon Nov 12, 2012