Home Buying in Chanhassen>Question Details

Brijoy Janar…, Home Buyer in Eden Prairie, MN

Regarding Foundation Repair done to the basement for a new house. Is it safe?

Asked by Brijoy Janardhanan, Eden Prairie, MN Fri Jul 19, 2013

Is it safe to buy a house (under construction) to undergo foundation repair (reinforcing) ? During builder inspection they noticed cracks in the basement slab, and they found out it should be repaired. Repair costs will be taken care of the builder, once it is finished it is available for move in. I believe the county approval still is pending until the repair construction is over. Can some one suggest what to do before move in?

Answers

3
Concrete cracks due to many different reasons. Often - it occurs as a normal part of the curing process as it dries (shrinkage). As advised below - I would hire a structrual engineer to come take a look and advise accordingly. Don't let the builder, who is trying to ultimately sell you the house - simply diagnose the issue and claim it's fixed. Get an independant estimation of the problem from a professional who is working for you. It's a small price to pay for what is ultimately going to become one of your most valuable investments.

Hope that helps!
I would have a structural engineer look at the home and advise you accordingly.

Chris
I agree, Chris, having a structural engineer examine the home is a great idea. They can add a second opinion that the foundation repair company might not have brought up. Sometimes, you can find foundation repair companies that actually have structural engineers that will come take a look.
I agree, Chris, having a structural engineer examine the home is a great idea. They can add a second opinion that the foundation repair company might not have brought up. Sometimes, you can find foundation repair companies that actually have structural engineers on staff that will come take a look. That way, you are only dealing with one company. Some people, however, would rather deal with different companies as it helps you get multiple opinions on the issue.
http://www.americanmudjackco.com/services.html
Flag Mon Nov 10, 2014
Foundation repair and slab repair are two different things. If it is just cracks the slab that need fixing it isn't really an issue, it is actually for appearance rather than structural. Fixing the foundation is a bigger issue, but since the home is under construction, and it still needs the municiple building inspector to sign off, it should be okay when its done. If you are concerned, you can always hire your own inspector to check it out.