Mighty_E, Home Buyer in 22202

Recommendations on Title Companies / Settlement Agent for Washington DC metro area?

Asked by Mighty_E, 22202 Wed Aug 6, 2008

Do you have any recommendations on Title Companies / Settlement Agent for Washington DC metro area? Any horror stories?

Answers

24
I often recommend Federal TItle & Escrow to my clients. They have one of the most informative websites around - super useful to for a buyer who may not even know what questions to ask. I also like very much that they are an INDEPENDENT firm - they are not associated with a realty company or a lender and thus do not pass through referral fees, etc. to them. Instead, they pass the savings on to the client. If you book settlement on line, you can get hundreds off of settlement costs - and they don't jack up their fees just to appear to be giving a discount. Also, they provide fee quotes on line - guaranteed. So no surprises at settlement. The attorneys there are super knowledgeable and have gone the extra mile for my clients many times. Be sure to say hi to Helen Do the office manager - she's the heart of the organization and is wonderful. Here's their website: http://www.federaltitle.com.
I would call neighbors and friends around your area to see who is great locally. They will know who is great and who will be best for your situation. You could also try using a search engine to see if they have any recommendations. Good luck and I hope you find one! http://www.gibsonraisonsettlements.com.au/services
Flag Wed Oct 15, 2014
http://www.federaltitle.com is fantastic! they give money back to buyers on the settlement sheet.

Kimberly Cestari
#1 Agent Companywide
WC and AN Miller Realtors
A Long and Foster Company
I just closed on my first home and I chose the settlement company Paragon Title based on the recommendations on this page. I most certainly wish I had not done so... PARAGON TITLE= HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

Its not just how I was treated, b/c you may be treated differently (I'm young and a woman), but everyone I spoke with in the entire company was inattentive and sometimes downright rude. I didn't even get a confirmation call that my request for a closing had been received. I had to track them down. And forget about reaching anyone after the assistant leaves (which is always a bit before 5, as far as I can tell).

In case anyone wants to hear the story: The lawyer was young, inexperienced and wet-behind the ears- and it definitely showed. I guess he thought to make up for it by acting authoritatively (which is a very nice term for the way he was treating me). I felt like I was being pressured by a used car's salesman. There was an issue about my not having my ID card with me, and he got all huffy and puffy, whipped the stack of paperwork off the table and left the room. He came back in, slammed the papers down, glared at me, and said "We're closing tonight. Don't think you can get out of this by not having your ID". Well I definitely wanted my house (which I love so much btw- going through closing with Paragon Title was worth it) so I signed everything. I was supposed to get a check and copies of the paperwork but he said I'd have to come back the next day. Well I did, and he tried to fob me off with the check and no paperwork. He said he'd email them to me, and tried to reprimand me for asking! Like the company is so cheap they don't want to waste paper on their paying clients! Absolutely horrible company!
We highly recommend Avenue Settlement Corp. They have two locations, one on 14th Street NW and one on Pennsylvania Avenue in West End. They are thorough, fun and provide an excellent settlement experience.
If you are still in need of help, please let me know. My number is 202-441-8484. Thanks. Amanda
Hi Mighty, Avalon Settlements is an Excellent Title Company.

Miekeba Jones
REALTOR
Heymann Realty, LLC
10230 New Hampshire AVE, STE 102
Silver Spring, MD 20903
Office (301)439-1180
Direct (240)715-8284
Fax (301)439-1190
miekeba@heymannrealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 21, 2014
The Gentleman Closer. http://thegentlemancloser.com It is not about the Title company, it is about what they charge for what they do. I would also like to comment that it takes a team of people to get the deal done and some teams work well together and some do not. We are independent so any Title Company can hire The Gentleman Closer. All Agents and Realtors have had that horrible experience in dealing with someone from the Title Company that does not know how to conduct a Settlement. They also have had a closing where a cheap title company sent a mobile notary which is illegal to sign papers. If that is what Agents want for their clients, then go ahead and hire them. We specialize in getting it done. If you do not know about us, please check out our site, give us a call and choose from the 8 Title companies and 15 Attorneys to help you get your deal to the table. It is that simple. Do you want referrals from your clients or not. Do you want repeat business but it got killed by a horrible settlement? Yes, I thought so. For those of you that keep referring something that in all reality is not the best deal for your client, then think again. Cheaper is not always better and you get what you pay for. I just had to put my two cents into this thread.
Ekko Title - McLean, Va. Ask for Marcus Simon http://www.EkkoTitle.com
Marcus is Fabulous! Extremely professional with incredible knowledge, a necessity in our complicated marketplace!
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
I highly recommend Enterprise Settlement Services. This company works with a plenty of first time buyers and they do an excellent job. Katie Navarro is super....FANTASTIC!

Contact info 202-333-6600 knavarro@enterprisesettlements.com
Ekko Title. Several locations but Marcus Simon in McLean, Va. is THE best. (703) 346-6536 his cell # or http://www.EkkoTitle.com
RGS title is fabulous and have many office locations, although I have personally only worked with the Reston location and all the staff there are great. I've also worked with Clear to Close Settlements of Vienna and they are good as well.
I like:

Paragon Title
Stewart
Monarch

The worse I dealt with was Closeline title - proper name for a company that was as abusive and 'tough to deal with'. Not only had they recorded the condo incorrectly, the settlement agent read Yahoo news while we tried to sign the papers. Sloppy.
My recommendation for Md-Bethesda, Chevy Chase etc is Paragon Title. Wonderful, experienced, smart and friendly. For DC- Congressional Title and Escrow.
Yes, I have to agree that Paragon Title is great. Randy Rothstein is tuly aces when it comes to D.C. Real Estate law, he has written many of the forms. Should that not work out, I also love to hold settlements with Avenue Title. They have two locations in D.C., as well as others throughout the country.
I use Peninsula Settlements for DC and MD and Colonial Title in VA. Almost every time I go elsewhere there are problems and last minute snags. They are also WAY cheaper than the other title companies I have seen. Last piece of advice, let your mortgage person pick the title company NOT the realtor. The mortgage professional is the one that works hand in glove with them, not the realtor. Yes I am a mortgage lender, I am sure the realtors will disagree. :)
I agree with Tracy on Paragon Title. All I have seen is great service from them!!
I echo Richard's recommendation - PARAGON TITLE & ESCROW in Bethesda are the Best!! The best service hands down !
Since members of their staff work on the Regional (GCAAR) contract writing comittees, its PARAGON TITLE + ESCROW in Bethesda, for me every time! Never a hitch, incredible service, always the 'extra mile'. The experts in DC and MD for ages, and soon VA too! Cheers --RICHARD HELBIG--
I like MBH - they have many offices. I have many horror stories, but my therapist tells me not to focus on them. lol
Web Reference: http://www.mbh.com/
We're having a devil of a time getting our title company reps to call back, so I'm glad to see no one here reccomended the use of the company we are dealing with right now.

Whatever you do though, don't let the seller chose the title company. That's what we did, because we we're working with the bank on a foreclosuer and now here we are less than 24 hrs before the bank's requested closing date and the people they selected won't return phone calls or emails. Buyer beware - use a title company that your realtor knows and trusts.

FYI - The title company we are using is a LARGE company with an ok reputation, but they are really dropping the ball this time. Be sure to talk with the rep/processor you'll be using from any title company that you chose and make sure they are on board and part of the team.
In Virginia, I'd highly recommend The Settlement Group. They've got offices in Alexandria, McLean, Ashburn, Burke, and Annandale. Take a look at their website at http://www.thesettlementgroup.com

I've worked with them on many transactions and have found them to be highly professional, dedicated, and competitively priced with other settlement companies.
Hands down, David Kanstoroom at North American Title in Bethesda, MD 301-907-3980. His team is the best!
I recommend Heritage Title (heritagedc.com) and Paragon Title (paragontitle.com) in DC. In VA, I recommed Marcus Simon. He is an experiened settlement attorney who has just formed a new group with some other experienced settlement attornies. The company is Ekko title (http://ekkotitle.com/).
Igor,

I highly recommend Monarch Title for settlement services and their offices are in DC, MD & VA. You can check them out at http://www.monarchtitle.net. We use them regularly and have never encountered a problem with them.

Hope this helps...