Home Buying in West Hartford>Question Details

Jasmin, Home Buyer in Newington, CT

Recommendations for a real estate attorney in Newington or West Hartford area?

Asked by Jasmin, Newington, CT Sun Apr 15, 2012

What is the role of a real estate attorney? Is it better to hire own attorney or use bank's attorney for closing? Thanks.

Answers

7
Hopefully you have an excellent relationship with your Realtor and are able to rely on their advise. I give my my clients at least 4 names which I would hire in a heartbeat, and have. Having been in the business for 30+ years I have gone to many closings and before I selected these attorneys I watched them at closings, aware of their representation. The Buyer/Borrower actually pays for the Banks representation and as a part of that their own. I find its better, as an agent to give these attorneys names to my clients and fight with the Bank, if necessary, (seldom) to have these attorneys represent my client. My clients get a great attorney and can form a successful, long term relationship. The bank gets fair representation from a really good attorney. I have the satisfaction of knowing everyone is well represented. Don't you just love it when everybody wins!!!!! Questions, feel free to call me at 860-882-0434 (desk) or 860-836-1589 (cell) Have a great closing. Lyn Miller, Remax-Premier-Realtors 860-561-6106
Jasmin, I did not completely answer your question but rather provided you with two contacts. Since Connecticut is a lien theory state we require that buyers are represented by any attorney. The attorney will do the title work, secure title insurance for you, help with any negotiations although agents really facilitate the negotiations and review closing papers with you at your closing. Many buyers do use the bank's attorney but always remember that the first responsibility of the bank's attorney is to represent the bank.
I think it's always better to use your own attorney. Having said that, most of the transaction in the Greater Hartford Board's area is handled by the agent. The attorney does the title search and completes all of the final paperwork at the closing. Occasionally, the attorney is called in earlier in the entire transaction, if legalities must be addressed.

I recommend: Doug Firtel - WH; Benajmin Potok - New Britain; John Hamilton - Farmington. While price should matter, your connection with him should also count. If he is accessible to you; available to answer questions; and his price is competitive, you should consider "hanging your hat" there!

I hope I've answered your question!

Cyma Shapiro-Roland
Jasmin, If you're looking for a Real Estate attorney in Newington I've had clients use David Griffith and he's located at 66 Cedar Street in Newington. For a West Hartford attorney you might try Mark Steier. Mark is located just North of West Hartford center and you can reach him at 860-233-1271. Good luck.
A real estate attorney will do the title work and review all contracts. If it is one you hire, everything he/she does is in your best interest, not the seller of the bank. The cost is the same, hire you own!

I have used Jason Famiglietti from Plainville for my personal transactions, as well as referring him to many clients. He always does a thorough job at a reasonable cost.

jason@famandfam.com
(860) 793-9559

Its all cost!! I like Joe Mazzaccaro out of Southington 860-620-9460. Call him and tell him Seth sent you, he will help you!
Katharina Dienwebel
kdienlaw@gmail.com

Fantastic real estate attorney.