Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Fitnessfemme, Home Buyer in Park Ridge, IL

Recommendations for Relocation Approximately $230k cash to buy

Asked by Fitnessfemme, Park Ridge, IL Mon Sep 24, 2012

I currently live in Portland, OR and am preparing a relocation to San Diego. I lived in North County from 2004-2006, but rented during that time. I plan to list my home in March, and hopefully be en route to San Diego by August.

I have the following needs:

1. Quality K-12 education (daughter will be in 1st grade for 2013-2014 academic year)
2. Yard and sidewalks, although yard size is negotiable as I am the only homeowner
3. Access to parks, short commute to beach, near services such as grocery, medical facilities, school
4. 3/1 minimum, prefer 3/2 and at least 1500 sq ft with garage and secure area

I have the following wants:

1. Gas
2. Hip districts, walking distance to restaurants / activity centers / shopping
3. Fenced yard, and landscaping
4. Newer appliances, stainless
5. Kitchen with informal dining area, upgraded counters (granite, cement, soapstone, etc...) and cabs
6. Single level preferred, but open to split and two story
7. Established neighborhood

Thank you!

Answers

7
Hi
If school district is #1 on your list. I would start there comparing different schools.
I have a good resource for comparing schools and zip codes.
http://www.homes92127.com/mischool/zip/92130/comparezip/92127/

Once you select a few good zip codes for schools then I would start looking a neighborhoods.

The difficult part about your questions is an agent suggesting an area. Technically is could be in violation of a federal statute designed to prevent agents from steering buyers to or away from a particular area. Sorry to say it is a big deal to the feds and most agents don't understand how broad the statute is and the severity of the penalties involved.

With all of that said, what we would suggest is coming to San Diego to view some homes in many different areas and make sure you get to drive the area to get a feel for it. With what you are seeking and your price, it is most likely a townhouse with a small back yard.

Know what we have said is designed to protect you and the agent you select. We would be more than happy to discuss your needs when the time comes. When it comes to school systems, the Great Schools website http://www.greatschools.org/california/san-diego/ can help you choose an area for your daughter.

The most important thing to know is that inventory is SLIM in San Diego and very competitive under $500,000. What would be worthwhile is what is available in the time frame you listed in your question.

Best to you,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Buyers and Sellers with Dedication & Integrity
Hi There,

I think your best bet will be to start getting listings in your first choice locations, both detached homes and attached. You'll soon see which areas will offer you homes that cover most of your criteria. Then, focus on those areas to keep an eye on the market.

Do you still want to live in North County, or are you open to other areas?

Temecula and Murrieta are in Riverside County, and while pretty far inland to be a short commute to the beach, offer lots of nice detached homes in your price range with most of the criteria you noted. It's even a tough price range for condos with less square footage in San Diego County, but there is a condo complex in Bonsall that offers detached condos with 1,500 square feet and small back and side yards, and those have been selling for $200K or under. There are slightly smaller units, and they also have 3 bedrooms, and 2.5 baths. As you can imagine, there isn't a lot of activity there.

Poway is perceived to be the best school district, but there are plenty of fine schools elsewhere. I can send you some good school links if you'd like, so you can make an informed decision for you and your daughter, and you can look for information for any California county.

Also, inventory is really low right now in San Diego. Let's hope it picks up by the time you're ready to start making visits!
I agree with Janet's comments - a house for that price range in a good school district is going to be a challenge. You will definitely have more options with a townhome or a condo. Although I've heard Portland isn't inexpensive, California prices are higher. You will likely need to make some compromises in your home choice when you get here.

Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Penasquitos, and Poway are all within the famed Poway School District - these are areas I would definitely check out.

Please feel free to call me. I'd love to assist you!
Good Morning,
You may want to consider, Temecula or Murrieta since they have great schools. There may be more to choose from in Temecula and Murrieta. I pulled up 19 properties up to $230,000.Shopping, Hip spots, Medical is all right there for you. The inventory is a bit low in North County at this time but may pick up by the time you are ready for your move.
Let me know if you would like to see the listings that are in you price point
Have a great day!
Margie Millar/ The San Diego Property Shop
Ca DRE 01309365
760-212-1717 cell
Margie.millar@aol.com
hi FitnessFemme,

I am glad you are familiar with North County and its school districts, I helped my brother buy in Rancho Bernardo so my nephew could go to Poway Unified School District and 2 of my clients teach in the District.

Lets talk, planning to buy 11 months from now seems ideal, I also recommend taking a look at your credit, if something is wrong we have almost a year to fix it.

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Hi Fitness Femme,
I searched the entire North County area and there are only seven houses ( only 2 bedrooms) under $230k.
If you willing to consider a townhouse or condo you have many more options. I have nine listings under $250k and they are all 3 bedrooms.
Prices increased over the last 90 days and the under $300k price range is a very active investor market.
Take a moment to read my last blog about San Marcos homes for sale and you will have an idea about the current market.
Janet McCarthy
Connect Realty
jmccarthyhomes@gmail.com