Home Buyer, Home Buyer in New Jersey

Recommendation on home and pool inspector

Asked by Home Buyer, New Jersey Tue Jul 7, 2009

Anyone have recommendations for a good home and pool inspector in central NJ? Any feedback for H&J Freile or All Star Home Inspection?

Answers

22
Hi there home buyer, many of my clients are using Garden State Home Inspectors, owner and operator is David Haigh, office number 1-888-775-1414, website http://www.GSInspectors.com

I'm sure David could provide a good pool inspector.

Tell him Jeannie Feenick sent you.

Jeannie Feenick
"Unwavering Commitment to Service"
Search the MLS at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Hello Home Buyer,

As a Professional Property Inspector I certainly have to agree with Francesca and Ines. Not sure about your area but here in Texas most Inspectors charge extra for a pool inspection. Most, if not all times, the extra the Inspector charges to inspect the pool is the same as a professional pool company would charge to inspect the pool. Pool companies here will also, many times, credit an annual maintenance contract for the cost of the pool inspection as well if they do the inspection.

Pools can be very complex and, as Francesca points out, very expensive systems. There are so many variations that even professional pool companies sometimes, but not often, run into issues identifying problems with them. The good pool companies are constantly keeping abreast of pools, new developments in pools, etc. Since that is all they do, day in and day out, THEY KNOW POOLS! There are some Inspectors who can inspect these well with many years background in installing, repairing and maintaining them. Those Inspectors are few and far between. Some aspects of pools all Inspectors should be capable of inspecting but not all aspects. We, Inspectors, must keep abreast of so many different things that pools should be left to the true experts to fully inspect.

Which would you rather pay for, an Inspector's extra pool inspection fee or a professional pool companies inspection fee?

Emmanuel J. Scanlan
PS Inspection & Property Services LLC http://www.psinspection.com
214-418-4366 (cell)
TREC License # 7593
International Code Council, Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Certified Infrared Thermographer (ASNT-TC1A Standards)
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Third Party Warranty Inspector #1593
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Inspector, County Inspection Program
Texas Department Of Insurance, VIP Inspector # 08507061016
Hayman Residential Engineering Services, Field Technician
CMC Energy - Certified Energy Auditor

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!!
Web Reference: http://www.psinspection.com
Home Buyer -

As usual, Mary hits the nail on the head.

Pay to have the pool opened. A pool company usually charges about $250.00 to open the pool.
What is good about having a pool company open the pool for you is that the company usually sends knowledgeable people to open and they should be able to spot issues immediately with the filter, hoses and such.. as far as leaking and the liner... well, you have to fill the pool up and then mark and watch it, If the water is lower the next day, guess what.. Probably a leak. if not.. Probably not. Aside from a hole in the pool creating a leak, the liner where it meets the pool edge is where to look for any signs of wear. Again, the whole $50k thing... highly unusual, rare and unlikely.

As far as credits, you should get them figured out BEFORE you go to the closing table and yes, I have seen many deals fall apart because of buyers making very unreasonable demands for credits. If there is a legitimate problem, 90% of sellers will address the issues and credit the buyer or repairs.