Home Buying in Ashburn>Question Details

Neesha, Home Buyer in Herndon, VA

Recently saw 2 single family homes in Brambleton - Van Meter and the other which is little interior i.e Martin Chase Community - Lennar homes.

Asked by Neesha, Herndon, VA Tue Feb 1, 2011

In the Van Meter single Family homes they have 4 bed - 2.5 bath only and no office or study room but has
walk out option from basement where as in the Lennar they have 4 bed - 3.5 bath with Office room, finished
full bath in basement and recreation room. But in Lennar there is no walk out from basement.

If we consider selling these 2 houses after 7 to 10 years, will Lennar homes appreciate more as they
have 1 full bath upstairs, 1 full bath and recreation in basement more than Van meter homes or will
the Van Meter homes appreciate more as they are more near to Metro and shopping areas etc. and not
interior like Lennar and has a walkout basement?

Which home should I consider as an investment? Which home will appreciate more? I know different people think differently. Both properties has its pros and cons. But I still want experts opinions on this as I m a first time home buyer and want to buy a home which will appreciate the value of home in future.

Thanks in Advance.

Answers

11
Neesha,

You should speak with your Buyer's Agent about this. If you don't have one, you should hire one. Questions like these (among many other things) is why you should have a Buyer's Agent experienced in Brambleton/Eastern Loudoun County as well as new construction/builders.

Danilo Bodanovic
Real Estate Consultant/REALTOR(r)

http://LoudounScene.com
http://LoudounForeclosures.com
These are great questions!

Van Metre has 2 communites they are building in Brambleton and they do offer floor plans with main level offices.

Although Lenar is slightly further away from the proposed Metro stop, the slight difference in proximity would not make a huge difference in how the home appreciates. Both communites are in good locations in that regard although the 2 Van Meter communites are slightly closer

A true ingress/egress from the basement is a big resale issue.

I am very familiar with the new construction and resale market in Brambleton and other parts of Ashburn. Please give me a call so we can talk further..

Ken Turner
Prudential Realty
703-509-3062
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 1, 2011
No walk out? Is it not an option? If not, why? I am not being difficult here, if you want to put a bedroom downstairs you really need that walk out (or walk up) condition. If they can't put in an areaway I would wonder if the property is too close to the building restriction line or other easement, which may also prevent you from putting in a deck or patio. .... something you might want to investigate further. These are the types of things your buyers agent can help you look out for. If you don't have one and would like to chat with me, please reach out to me at 703-669-3142 VChrisner@KW.com
I can tell you that I work closely with Lennar Homes in Colorado and they are one of the best builders I have worked with. A walkout basement is definately a plus for resale. The more bathrooms the better for resale in my opinion, however. I think the bathrooms makes your home easier to sell in the future than the walk out basement.
Belinda
Neesha,

You're trying to have answered a very complex question that plagues many buyers - "what will add more resale value?". Very simply said, for every buyer out there who may consider any one home, there will be differing opinions on preferences. But ask yourself what is of more value to YOUR family since you will be occupying the home for potentially 10 years.

Excellent point raised below - if you had to choose - I would opt for the structural option now and add the bath later if desired.

All the best!

Lisa Moroniak | REALTOR® | Service360°
Phone: 703-635-0388
Fax: 703-679-1701
Licensed in VA
Web Reference: http://www.LisaMoroniak.com
Raj makes a very good point. If you plan to live in the home, choose with your heart first and with your wallet second. The home you love will ultimately be the home somebody else loves some day in the future when you are ready to sell.
http://www.DougHallRealEstate.com
Thanks all for your responses. I will definitely speak to the Agent. But I want to have the opinions from different agents to understand what really buyers will look for and to also have the experts opinions.

Actually I liked both the houses even though both of them has its pros and cons. So that is where I m thinking about the home appreciation value for future.

And also I want to add that the single family home I saw in Vanmeter is almost 2900 sqft where as in Martin chase is 2700 sq.ft. But the lot size in Lennar is bigger than the lot size in VanMeter.

And I also want to specify that Brambleton is close to metro and shopping areas where as Martin chase is about 1 – 1.5 mile interior.

Any more suggestions or advices are greatly appreciated.
Let me tell you Nisha first you have asked the great question.
I will compare it with nice to have v/s necessity. I fee study room and additional bathroom are necessity versus walkout basement is nice to have. As you are also going to live in the property if i were you first i will think it as a living perspective what you like first, what i meant to say i will first think 65% as living perspective and 35% as investment perspective. What if someone gives you deal of $50K but you don't like to live inside at all or you don't like the house for xyz reason. If market goes up both will appreciate there is no question asked.

Thanks & Regards,
Raj Patel - Cell: 703.282.8444
raj@brokerraj.com / http://www.IkonofAshburn.com
Licensed Broker®/Owner in DC, MD & VA
Web Reference: http://www.brokerraj.com
They are both good options. As PJ mentioned having a walk-out is a big plus for many buyers and is not something that can be added in later, as compared to finishing the basement and putting in another bathroom. If you do not plan on finishing the basement while you own the home or adding in an extra bathroom in the basement level, than the Lennar might be your better bet. Contractors are more flexible than they have been in their schedules and prices since the market has decreased and new home sales slowed of the past several years. You need to weigh the cost of finishing the basement vs buying it finished.

Also, it is highly recommended that you have a buyers agent represent you and your interest in the transaction to make your interest are covered and represented. Having a buyers agent represent you since the builder has built that price into their sales price.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

they will both appreciate at approximately the same rate (5% per year, 7% per year, whatever the market gives us). For resale value you may have an easier time selling the 3 full bath house with the library. I have many clients that rule out homes that don't have a library, it has become a necessity to most families. Many also need that additional bath.
A walk out basement is a very nice option and makes the basement light and bright but in many cases the home has to be configured into a hill for the walk-out to work, rendering the lot somewhat sloped and useless.
Good Morning,

Having a walkout is a huge deciding factor for many buyers. And it is not someting that you can change down the road or add later. You can always add a bath or finish the lower level. So many factors play in the appreciation of a home down the road. So on that note it is wise to have the assistance of a Realtor even when dealing with new home construction. You need someone who will advise and protect you in this process and that is solely working for your benefit. Good luck and please feel free to contact us to discuss further.

Respectfully,

PJ Riner
Armstrong Riner Team
Award Winning Top Producers & Relocation Specialists

"Mastering the A.R.T. of Real Estate, One Transaction at a Time!"
Weichert Realtors
43150 Broadlands Center Plaza, Suite 104
Ashburn, VA 20148
Direct: 703-606-1878
Office: 703-726-3909 x 117
Fax: 703-726-0313
e-mail:
pjriner@gmail.com

We welcome your referrals and will extend
a most appreciative thank you!
Web Reference: http://www.weichert.com