Linda Cook, Home Buyer in 14469

Recently I called City hall to find out if a property I was interested in could have a garage built in the

Asked by Linda Cook, 14469 Wed Nov 7, 2007

back yard and I was told I needed a map, why doesn't the town have one already. It discouraged me from persuing the house.

Answers

3
Linda,

Try calling the local Zoning Office at the town hall. Give them the address of the property and ask them what are the setbacks that are required (that is the distance from the structure to the property line)as well as any restricitons for the neighborhood. Once you have the setbacks you will be able to take rough measurements that will give you a good idea if you have the space and you will also know if you have any other restrictions. Then and only then will you have to hired a surveyor (and yes you will) to draw out the propsed addition on the site plan.

Hope this helps/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 7, 2007
I would agree with Cynthia's response. I will go one further. If you are still interested in this property I would be glad to confirm that it is still available and that track down some paperwork that could help you with your discussion with the town. Feel free to contact me through my site: http://www.RochesterHomeLocator.com
or directly at 585-279-8217 or lastly by email: Sal@SalafiaSOLDTeam.com

Web Reference: http://www.rochesterhomelocator.com
Hi Linda, If the city you called is anything like the towns and cities in my area, their offices are typically not very helpful. That being said, why would you let some clerk that is having a bad day ruin your opportunity to own a home that you really love? If I were the realtor who has that home listed, I would be happy to get a survey map to you. My suggestion would be get ahold of that realtor and ask them to get it from their homeowners. Take it to the city and get your answer. If you really love this home, it could very well be worth the extra effort. Good luck to you, Cynthia