Home Buying in Sarasota>Question Details

Steven Appol…, Other/Just Looking in North Port, FL

Realtor marketing for home inspectors

Asked by Steven Appolloni, North Port, FL Tue Nov 19, 2013

I am a new home inspector starting in Jan. I was wondering what works when it comes to meeting new agents and how I should go about going to the office and emailing. Just curious on what realtors like, and do not like to try and earn their trust. I was also curious should a home inspector join the local realtor association and get an Ekey or supra key? Any information and tips would be great, and thank you in advance.

Answers

11
Yes, join the local Board of Realtors. If you are from North Port you can look into the Venice Board, the PG PC NP Assoc of Realtors, and Englewood Board. Call local real estate agencies and ask to speak at their office meetings. Join the North Port Chamber of Commerce, they will help with marketing. Drop off literature and business cards at real estate offices. Network, network, network. Yes, you can purchase a supra e-key or get the app or key fob, it does help if the inspector has one rather than always relying on the agent to get you in. Look at other inspectors web sites to see what they offer and read about them. Best of luck to you.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Re/Max Palm Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
http://www.tammyhayes.remaxagent.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 19, 2013
Provide information that agents can use. Having an electronic key is very helpful. Ask to speak at local real estate offices or teach a CE class. Joining the local Realtor Association is a good way to network. We get a ton of email. I don't recommend e-blasting agents that you haven't met.
Best wishes.

Jen and Mark Bowman
Keller Williams on the Water
941-840-0117
I should clarify my previous answer.

Realtors should NEVER recommend a home inspector. There is a huge potential conflict of interest.

Yes, still meet with Realtors in your service area, but you also need to establish a very good website, so that buyers, who will be making the final choice, are informed about your services and can see sample reports, etc. Most buyers come here from out of town, so they need to be able to find you online. The advice that someone gave you about blogging is sound. Blog about a recent inspection, or about timely topics in the news that affect homeowners, such as age of systems.

I provide a list of inspectors to my clients but always make sure it is crystal clear that I am not making a recommendation. Your goal should be to get on as many Realtor lists as possible and then make sure buyers will select you.
I like the Supra Key because need the phone and the phone is doing so many things. As for meeting realtors I never go for the email. I use the same inspector based on how he does the report. He did one of my listing and it had some issues, let me tell you he did not try to blow it he made the issues very matter of fact. Some of the other inspectors I have worked with tend to blow them up and get the clients scared out of buying. Try to explain things on an even keel style and you will have to build your business little by little. Going to visit office is a good thing. A good idea is to try and get some speaking engagements at office .most office will let pick a topic and speak at an office meeting, if you can pick a good topic that will bring value to the agents it will go a long way. Hope this helps you.

Michael Beninato
RE/MAX Alliance Group
Hi, start a blog here and with Word Press, provide ONLY useful information and you will attract a following. It may take time but be consistent and thorough. By positioning yourself as an expert in you will develop a level of trust that can translate into business.

Christopher Pagli
Offer a CE class in home inspections at the local board, for free and make sure it will earn the Realtors CE credits to get more business.

Contact the local board and ask about the key.
Start by going into several Real Estate offices each week and introducing yourself. Also get involved in networking groups and join your local Real Estate Association,
Yes, an E key will be necessary. You could lose business if an agent knows they have go met you just to open a door and drive back. (Agents need only stay in the home with you if it is occupied)

It helps showing them a copy of a report you have made, so they can see the quality of your end product. Was this answer helpful? If so please click on "best answer" or on the "green thumbs up".

Tony Vega
Antonelli Realty
I get a lot of my home inspection connections from attending the weekly SAR board meetings on Thursdays. If you can, it does help to join as an affiliate and have access to properites with Supra lock boxes. You can use an Android tablet or smart phone to access the boxes with the Supra Ekey app.
Best of luck Steve, I think it would be a good idea to joining local associations. Also, I don't think you can ever go wrong with bringing agents information face to face at their office. Bring literature on your services, experience and prices. Make contacts and stay on them till you get an opportunity. North Ports out of my area, but again best of luck on your new business.
Honestly, it's really about referrals, which is tough when you're first starting out. It's also about being affiliated with a reputable company who has their inspectors adhere to certain standards.