Johngreenink, Home Buyer in Allston, MA

Real Estate licenses in one or two states

Asked by Johngreenink, Allston, MA Wed Jul 15, 2009

I have just met with a very good real estate agent in a state that I'm looking to buy a house. However, I'm not only looking in that state. If an agent is only licensed to work in one state, may I work with another agent in a different state? Should I be looking for someone who is licensed in more than one state?

Answers

4
ErikHook has the right idea. I am licensed in three state as a broker. When someone comes to me that is looking in multiple states, I work as the primary contact and coordinate with an agent in the other state. It keeps the process focused and all working together.
I'd recommend having the agent you like, help you find a similarly good agent in the other state, and then have them cooperate in helping you. They could agree on a reciprocal referral, and you would get diligent, coordinated service. Very few agents are licensed in more than one state at a time. There are some, but too few to effectively shop for one who'll serve your interests in both localities. Just one agents opinion. Good Luck ! It is a great time to shop for real investments.
It would depend on the state involved and the price ranges. If your talking Maine & Arizona it would probably make sense to deal with local specialists. If the areas are located on both sides of contiguous states (VT., NH, MA) then it might make sense to work with an agent/broker dually or triply licenced. The more important part is hiring the best agent/broker you can to assist you & advise you. There are many brokerages that have offices in more than one state that could possibly refer you to several agents to interview. The company I work for has offices in RI, ME, MA, we're Prudential Prime Properties, although I'm only licenced in MA.

Good Luck in your search, keep in touch and let me know how you make out,
I personally would work with one agent that is licensed in both states. There are several advantages:\

1: A good agent will put in many hours into a transaction and to do all that work with a chance of you buying in another state with another agent doesn't create a whole lot of loyalty from that agent.

2: Working with the same agent will help not having to cover the same ground twice the more you work wih an agent the better feel they get for what you want.

With that said...working with two agents really depends on the contractual relationship you have with that office. In most cases it shouldn't be a problem.... Good luck.