Home Buying in 75455>Question Details

Andy, Home Buyer in 75455

Real Estate agent stated that I would not be able to buy a home unless we used the local agent he designated. What should I do?

Asked by Andy, 75455 Tue Nov 8, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


It sounds to me like the agent in the city where the seller has moved has sent the listing as a referral to an agent in Mt Pleasant- so there is probably a referral fee involved- another issue could be that it is not actually listed in the MLS but a type of pocket or non exclusive listing and another one of the problems could be that there is no shared co-broke for the agent you have representing you. As Chris has said your agent should be contacting the listing agent and/or the local agent or both of those agent's managing broker (and maybe even the seller's if they are not being co-operative)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
The choice is always your in choosing an agent. Your agent will need to have your best interests at heart and you need to feel comfortable working with them. I am not totally sure of the context in which you are asking the question but you cannot be forced to use a specific agent ever under any circumstances. The choice is always yours. I am assuming this is some sort of referral in which this agent is going to receive a percentage of compensation on the total commission on a home you eventually buy. This is common and I refer business to agents all the time but if the people I refer do not use the agents I refer them too that is always their choice.

Best of luck to you,

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 19, 2011
That is untrue and also can be considered a monopoly which is totally illegal.

Marco Gomez
NYS Associate Broker
Keller Williams Landmark II
Serving Queens, Brooklyn & Nassau
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 15, 2011
It sounds like that agent is trying to do what's called "Dual Agency" where he or she represents both the buyer and the seller. While it is OK to do this, it can be a complicated transaction without your own representation. It's hard for the agent to really have both of his or her clients best interest at heart. A lot of agents love to do "Dual Agency", because it doubles their commission! Watch out for shady characters like this! It sounds like he or she needs to be reported to the local dept. of labor and licensing for telling you false information. You are in no way obligated to use any particular agent, EVER, under any circumstances! You have every right to choose who you work with, and I'm glad you made the decision to get your own representation and are happy with who you are now working with! Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
The local buyer agent you are now working with should be able to help you iron this out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
See if the agent has a brokerage that is the actual lister of the property and call them, I'm sure they will be interested. You can also call the Department of Consumer Affairs. Best, Terry Bell
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
This is not a new construction. The current owner has moved and used an agent in the city to which she moved. This is the agent that told us that we would not be able to buy the house using a different agent than the one he had designated. This is a local agent in the area. Because of concerns with the way this is being handled we decided to select our own agent. We did sign a contract with an agent that we feel confident in representing us in the matter. Our conversation with our contracted agent has all been very professional and reassuring. We just are not getting any positive response from the selling agent. Thanks for all the comments to this point.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
You don't give us much information to go on. Is this a new construction site? Sometimes builders have a registration policy which requires you to indicate on an initial visit if you are currently working with an agent. The idea being not to use the site agents time unnecessarily if you will not be using them.
If you worked with a site agent and the builder has this policy, you may find getting other representation difficult. Apart from this scenario I'm not aware of anyone controlling who you wish to represent you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
This doesn't sound right. You should be able to use whatever agent you want. I would call the office where this agent works out of and ask to speak with the office manager and let them know what is going on. In the meantime I would also shop around for a different agent that you want to work with.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer