Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

Luke Taylor, Renter in Washington, DC

Real Estate License

Asked by Luke Taylor, Washington, DC Thu Mar 7, 2013

I'm looking to get my Realtor's license in VA or DC, via an accelerated (read: condensed) course. Any ideas?

Answers

6
Don't do it, LUKE! You be chasing the same business all of us other jokers do!
Licensed: MD, DC, DE, VA, WV
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 14, 2013
Hi Luke, when you get your license maybe you will be interested in working with my broker? I passed all of my exams the first time. That includes National, MD and DC. Will this accelerated class have a good instructor? It makes a difference.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 8, 2013
The purpose of the initial licensing class is to prepare you to take the national exam. You will become familiar with legal terms and other real estate terminology. Typically the course does not teach how to operate a business but there will be opportunities for that once you join a brokerage. Passing the national exam is actually relatively easy, it's passing the state or DC exams that's harder because there are fewer questions so a percentage of wrong answers count heavily. The Virginia exam is quite hard so you will hear considerable pride when it's passed on the first try. You don't have to take all exams on the same day but people usually do, might as well as long as you're already there. I attended an excellent VA prep course given by Weichert so even though you may have taken an accelerated course for the national exam, there's still more study for the other areas. If you pass the national but fail the VA/DC, you may retake the failed tests. Each test costs money so keep that in mind when considering whether to just take a stab at it. Keep in mind the cost of setting up business about $1000 because you will pay licensing fees to however many jurisdictions you want to be licensed in, for access to data (MRIS) and for access to lockboxes. I work with someone who skipped the last two and leaned heavily on "friends". Very unprofessional. I love my broker and hearily recommend Realty Direct. I'd love to tell you about it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 8, 2013
Hi Luke,

Congratulations on deciding to get your real estate license and become a Realtor. Each jurisdiction requires class hours and passing an exam at the end, and I agree a concentrated and accelerated course works well as it did for me. There are several excellent classes in the area. If you email me at waynej@kw.com, I will be glad to give you some suggestions including the kind of real estate brokerage that will serve you well as a new agent. I couldn't be happier with my choice of Keller Williams Capital Properties where there is an emphasis on ongoing training and a positive culture of support and encouragement.

All the very best,
Wayne Johnson
REALTOR
waynej@kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 8, 2013
Hi Luke,

There are a lot of good real estate schools are out there. Exit Bennett offers a course with money back if you do not pass.
To be honest with you,Long and Foster has one of the best real estate courses in the area. In fact that's where I did my prelicense courses. But once you pass the class please talk to me. I can share some things you should look for in your Real Estate Broker. And no real estate Commission split is not main thing you should be concerned about. Congratulations. And much to you. You can do it.
Thanks so much for the support and speedy response. Can you provide a link for the course pretty please?
Flag Thu Mar 7, 2013