Home Buying in Scotch Plains>Question Details

Lisette Barr…, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

Real Estate Agent Protocol Breach?

Asked by Lisette Barranco Rollins, Brooklyn, NY Tue Jan 17, 2012

My husband and I are just starting to look at homes. We went to an open house (and we didn't have an agent with us). We met the sellers agent. We weren't intersted in the house she was selling but we liked her and I emailed her and asked her to be our buying agent for other properties. She didn't respond to my email, so I contacted another agent, who promptly responded to me and is setting up appointments to see homes this weekend. Today, I got a call from the first agent and she wants to send me listings. My gut tells me I shouldn't be playing with two agents. Especially since I've already made appointsments with the second agent. Should I be upfront with the first agent and cut her loose before she starts sending me listings? FYI I have not signed any agreement with anyone. What should I do?

Answers

5
You should tell her; she hesitated, she lost.
Buyer's Agreements are not that common;
You seem to be honest and loyal; that is what we ask.
Good luck in your search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 17, 2012
There's nothing wrong with trying out a few agents to see who you get along with best. If you aren't in a buyer's contract feel free to talk to other agents. But I do think it's for your own best interest to choose someone to work with and so you don't waste other agent's time, and because you will do best with an agent that will be working hard on your behalf to help guide you through the process and find you that perfect place. Good luck!
All went well with the first agent. i contacted her and told her that we already had an appointment with another agent. She said she was refreshed by my integrity. Thanks for the advice!!
Communication and Honesty I find to be the best policy.
Enjoy your home search.

Twitter AmyPfister80
YOU TUBE Amy Pfister 80
Web Reference: http://www.amypfister.com
Lisette,

Your conscience is causing you to second guess yourself....you're commited to two agents at this point and are reluctant to nitify the first agent that you have moved on....there's nothing wrong with this. Simply email the agent making her aware of your need for an earlier response.

If your choice is to work with both agents it would be best to be up front making them aware that you are working with both. It's the right thing to do and may cause one or the other or both to decline the opportunity.

You know the right course of action.....it's a matter of doing it.