Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Satoh, Home Buyer in 11215

Ready to buy real estate in NY, but the question is where? Do I rent in the city and buy my second home, or?

Asked by Satoh, 11215 Thu Jan 3, 2008

buy in the city and rent second home? Any advantage to either?

You can have the best of all worlds. What I mean is to buy a coop, condo, or home in Northeast Queens County, NYC which has the best performing schools in all of NYC, great family things to do inexpensively, yet by the LIRR is less than a 1/2 hour comfortable ride from the Big Apple (Manhattan). A studio or 1 bedroom coop in Manhattan could easily cost $ 1 million or more. For a 3 bedroom coop in Bayside, Little Neck or Douglaston in Northeast Queens, the cost would be under $ 350K. For a Condo of that size, under $ 600K, for a detached, one family home with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, under $ 800K. Go to my blog at http://www.realtown.com/johnmaniec/blog to view several videos of local neighborhoods and current inexpensive family events.
Below is a link to a NY Times article with a "Buy vs. Rent" calculator, which should be helpful. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/10/business/2007_BUYRENT_GRAP…
I'll be happy to help you with any more information that may be helpful in your decision making. nycHero1@gmail.com
That would depend on what your needs are? Will you be working in Manhattan and going away on weekends? Do you have a large family ?The Manhattan real estate prices have historically continued to increase so Manhattan real estate can be a good investment.... On the other hand if you can find a rent stabilized Manhattan apartment, they have rules about how much time you can spend somewhere else as it must be your primary residence...You might be able to find a "deal " upstate" especially through some Goverment programs but in those it usually has to be your primary residence and many NYC coops and condos don't allow pied -a terres..There are many legal, financial and tax considerations so I would definitely consult a good local attorney and accountant.
Please check back and contact me when you are ready as I would be glad to help you find something here and Upstate. (I am in the process of changing Brokers)