George Simcoe…, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Re a steep,hillside lot in zip 78731. How much to build a 3,000' 2-story, w/part. bsmt & 3-car garage (excluding lot cost)?

Asked by George Simcoe, Ph.D., Austin, TX Fri Mar 1, 2013

Plan. move to Austin late summer 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3046182502-5600-Palisade-Ct-A…

Answers

8
I think the best thing to do is interview several custom home builders. From your description of the lot, it will definitely cost more than a flat lot. I would be happy to put you in contact with some reputable, local custom home builders.

Steve Nusinow
(512)922-7588
As several others said below, that all depends on the quality of the construction and finish out. Basic paint or gold plated? $300 a square foot would not be surprising for a nice home. I am an architect and builder as well as a real estate broker. My firm also provides professional engineering consulting.

Claire McIntyre, Architect / Real Estate Broker / Builder
512 699 9912
MMI McIntyre Associates
Real Estate Brokerage
http://www.mmirealestate.com
claire@mmirealestate.com
McIntyre & McIntyre Inc
Architecture / Engineering
Project Management
http://www.mmibuildings.com
Fri eve: Thanks, Claire, for your speedy response. Yes, your advice is
"right on the money" regarding the various responses I've received since this
afternoon. We currently reside in the Marietta/Atlanta area and plan to move to Austin this summer or fall. My wife and I love the lot at 4714 Colorado Crossing in 78731. But, with a lot cost of $575k, and a home cost of well over $600k, o-o-o-ops, we're over budget, which is $800k-$850k TOPS!
So, as Joe says below, it is best we look for a resale, CLOSE IN, very near the river. We are cash buyers with no home to sell, so we keep on the
Austin web sites, particularly Trulia...the best of them all. Regards, George Simcoe, Ph.D., (retired professor).
Flag Fri Mar 1, 2013
I must agree with the overall comments. The questions you are wishing to have answers to need to have a custom home builder to evaluate the lot due to the ecavation that would be necessary. I work with several custom builders and they are easy to communicate with in helping you decifer what it is that best suts your criterias. Call me and I can refer you to them.

Warmest Regards,

Vanessa Nunez
512-750-5716
vanessanunez.realtor@gmail.com
Fri eve: Thanks, Vanessa, for your info. We currently live in the Atlanta/Marietta area and plan to move to Austin this summer or fall. From the responses we've received this afternoon, we can see that with construction costs currently running $150 to $300 per foot, we would
be over our budget for a home, CLOSE IN, near or on the river, such as on lot 4714 Colorado Crossing in 78731. These lots run $400k to $700k
per lot, plus $500k to $700k for new construction. But, thank you again, for your response. Regards, George Simcoe, Ph.D. (retired professor).
P.S: I taught down at Texas Lutheran Univ., back in the 1980's).
Flag Fri Mar 1, 2013
Quite frankly, your question is much too vague and broad to answer. You could build a home for $100 per square foot or $250 per square foot, depending on finish out, quality of materials, et cetera, et cetera. As well as being one of the top Realtors in Austin, I happen to own a home-building company and have a great builder I partner with. If you would like some more specific details, I can connect you with my builder and you can go over what type of floor plan and finish out and budget you have.

Also, you might want to consider purchasing a home that is already built, as the cost of materials and labor has gone up significantly recently, and there are lots of great buys out there on resale homes. I would only recommend building if you cannot find a home that fits your needs, but there are so many in Austin that is typically not the case.

Nevertheless, feel free to contact me if you would like some further assistance and I will do all I can to help!

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Ranked #1 by Buyers and Sellers (JD Power & Assoc. 2012)
Call 512-261-4415
Fri eve: Joe: Sent an e-note an hour ago, but it somehow "evaporated"
before being sent (I think). Anyway, thanks again for your construction
advice. Everyone on Trulia has been very helpful. As you suggested, it would be best for us to find a home in a waterfront community, even if the home itself is not "on the water." Don't like the few we've found so far,
but we keep looking. We're in the Marietta/Atlanta area, preferring to
move to Austin late summer - we have no house to sell and are cash
buyers, but our budget is up to $800k only. So, that tends to leave out
of any "new construction" , close-in, and near the Colo. River.
Thanks Again, Joe.........George Simcoe, Ph.D., (retired professor)
Flag Fri Mar 1, 2013
gsimcoe,
You are asking an very important and specific question with little information to use to arrive at the answer. Barbara is right, you need specific plans with every detail of the construction and finish out bid by a builder. I jut helped a friend/client through this process with a goal of keeping the house below $150 sq/ft and it bid out at over $300 sq/ft wit all the bells and whistles they added. It was on a hillside too and the slab alone was double what they estimated.
And yes, we are equipped to answer this question.
Depends on the topo and degree of slope. And quite a few other factors, not limited to quality of finish out, architecture, material and eco features, and then landscape features.
If youd like representation during this, no cost to you- I charge the builders, just give me a call or email via the link here.

I dont expect under 175/sft as an extremely general idea.
But to relate, its similar to asking how much is a 4 door car?
Web Reference: http://www.shawnmon.com
I suggest you get bids from several builders based on actual plans. Rough estimates are just that. . .very rough. Also, most of us on this board are Realtors or Loan Officers. We aren't really equipped to answer this sort of question.
I'd love to help you with your mortgage though. :)

Barbara Coker
NMLS#228545
Licensed Mortgage Loan Officer
100% Home Loans All Over Texas!
Fri eve: Barbara: Yes, I put my Q. in a R.E. brokers "box" when I do need to contact builders instead. No mortgage needed, we're paying cash.
Thank You, George Simcoe, Ph.D. (retired professor)
Flag Fri Mar 1, 2013