Home Buying in Warren>Question Details

mrsk, Home Buyer in Warren, NJ

Radon in Warren?

Asked by mrsk, Warren, NJ Fri Jul 12, 2013

I am hoping to move to Warren NJ, but recently came across a website that shows Somerset county as having almost 4 times the national average of Radon exposure. This concerns me a bit. Does anyone know where I can find Warren Township specific radon levels and if many of the homes you've sold in Warren test positive for high Radon levels?
Much appreciated!

Answers

2
Most homes in NJ have high radon levels. All inspections have radon tests and if they show to be high, a solution has to put into place. One solution is great ventilation systems which gets installed in the basement or even just the opening of windows and allow the air to flow.

If you feel it's a huge concern I would definitely give the township a call and request some data on this issue.

Please contact me if you need some help finding homes in Warren. I know the area very well and would love to help you.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Melissa Silva
Realestate.mel.s@gmail.com
201-527-7313
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 12, 2013
MRSK,
Warren was voted as oone of the best places to live in NJ.
Where there is rock, there is radon.
You can't look at national levels. Would you look at the national wage when looking for a job in New Jersey? Of course not.
Here are the facts:
Most of the Northest has Radon, not just New Jersey.
Warren's levels are common for the area and easily resolved with venting systems. All newer homes have the systems already in place and some older homes too.
If your inspection shows higher than .4 levels, the state mandates the seller remediates. That means the seller puts in the venting system and retests to make sure it falls within the .4 level or you can back out.
I have sold some Warren homes where there was no venting needed because the level was safely under the.4 already.
Ask the seller if they have tested for radon and what was the level.
When looking at properties, look for the venting: PVC pipe & fan system in basement or attic or both depending on the size of the house. Usually maked RADON.
Since this orderless, colorless gas comes from underground, if there is no basement or crawl-pace, usually no venting system.
Hope this clears up your concerns.