Question Details

John, Home Buyer in

Radon: Test Results came back at 4.1 pCi/L

Asked by John, Wed Oct 17, 2007

I am in the process of purchasing a house. After the inspection, the Radon test results came back at 4.1 pCi/L. The state recommends to take action when the level of Radon is above 4.0 pCi/L. I have 2 questions:
1- Who usually pays for the Radon Mitigation System, the seller or the byuer, or both?
2- By having a Radon Mitigation System, would it reflect negatively on the resale value of the property if I want to sell the house in the future?
Thank you

Answers

3
Hello John,
FYI, the house that I just purchased also turned up radon above the recommended limit. I'm having a mitigation system installed this Friday and spoke extensively with the contractor, who has stated that 9 out of 10 homes purchased these days tests for radon and with the EPA warnings being broadcast on the radio, there's so much more awareness of this issue that as long as the levels are brought down below 4.0, this shouldn't lower resale value, at least that's what I'm told.
Does the area where you're buying have elevated levels of radon? The county where I bought does, so I would think that having the system installed is much more favorable than a future buyer having to deal with it.
The following is from Wikipedia

Radon (IPA: /ˈreɪdɒn/) is a chemical element that has the symbol Rn and atomic number 86. Radon is a radioactive noble gas that is formed by the decay of radium. It is one of the heaviest gases and is considered to be a health hazard. The most stable isotope is 222Rn which has a half-life of 3.8 days and is used in radiotherapy. Radon is a significant contaminant that affects indoor air quality worldwide. Radon gas from natural sources can accumulate in buildings and reportedly causes 21,000 lung cancer deaths per year in the United States alone.[1]

Most probably your future buyer will feel this way about Radon.

Some or most people don`t want to buy homes under High Voltage power wires, because they fear a health hazard.

Health Hazards don`t help Sales.
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
Normally the seller pays for the mitigation but like everything else in a transaction that is negotiable. You can pay half and the seller pay half. Or the buyer can pay all.
Having the radon system installed should not negatively effect a resale.