Home Buying in North Gateway>Question Details

Anne, Home Buyer in Scottsdale, AZ

R/O system and water system do not convey in a traditional sale

Asked by Anne, Scottsdale, AZ Sat Oct 15, 2011

How does it work? If I buy this property, does this equipment remain in the house but need to be purchased under separate agreement from the seller, or do they go with the seller and I'll need toget them installed from scratch? How much does it cost?

Answers

10
They are considered fixtures of the property if you are using a standard state of Arizona purchase contract. If the seller wants to take them and you agree as the buyer (in writing) then the seller would be permitted to take them.
I would think the equipment would remain in the house, but if not it might be a good thing. Putting a water filtration system will improve your entire experience living there. Not only that, but it will raise the value of your property. Hopefully things work out that you'll be able to get a water filtration system regardless. http://www.aquatronicsnewjersey.com/Water-Filters-Middlesex-…
Hi Anne,
You received great responses below. If you are using the AAR Contract then yes the R/O water system should convey.

Best Wishes,
Tiffany Carlson- Richison
Realty One Group
Cell 480-215-1105
tiffanycarlsonrealtor@gmail.com
Awarded as one of Top 40 Agents under 40 in 2013 from SEVRAR
Per the standard Arizona Association of Realtors purchase contract, the plumbing items installed are considered real property and should be conveyed with the property. That being said, everything is negotiable. So, if it's specifically excluded from the purchase contract, and all parties agree, then they can be removed prior to close of escrow.
Whatever you do I would make sure that you have a water filtration system. When we moved into our house in Chicago we went through a lot of unnecessary situations because we didn't realize until too late that the house didn't have one.
Web Reference: http://www.portablejohn.com
Anything may or may not convey, it all depends on the contract. the seller could choose to have the drywall not convey (yes an absurd example,) But if both the buyer and the seller agree to it ( and if the bank will lend on it) then it can be done. HOWEVER, if it is not stated specifically on the contract otherwise, anything that is attached is expected to convey with the house. the best advice given is to talk with your realtor about it. And if you are not already under contract, specify it on your purchase offer. Don't Assume, Write it Down.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 16, 2011
Thank you all, your answers are very helpful!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 15, 2011
Anne,

I would request they remain in the property. I would bring up page 2 of the contract. However maybe you can come with agreement with sellers.

Feel free to contact me or your agent if you have one.

Regards
Hi Anne,

There are times when sellers install reverse osmosis or filtration system to accommodate their preferences, needs or taste.

If the system is installed as a matter of preference and not as a necessity to make the water potable, then I would think that they have the right take it.

Your home inspector can determine the quality of the drinking water by bypassing the system. If the water quality test results show that the water is unsafe for drinking without the system, then this becomes an issue.

Have your agent ask the listing agent why the sellers installed the system ahead of time and if the removal of which will affect the water potability.

I have sold a home where an R/O has been removed because the sellers are horticulturists and they need the whole system for the home business

However, my opinion is based on my experience here in the State of Connecticut. Your state may have a different norm or practice.

Best of Luck.

Maria
Hi Anne,
It is stated on page 2 of the purchase contract that water softeners and water purification systems convey with the property. If the seller chooses to take these with them, then they must state it in the contract that these do not convey. So it is hard to answer this question without knowing the specifics of the property you are referring to. Your agent would be able to tell you is this is stated on the MLS sheet. As far as price, that is a variable as well as there are so many different systems out there. You can go to Home Depot and get an idea of costs.
Hope this helped.
Lorrie