Home Buying in Summit>Question Details

sarahkelly28, Home Buyer in Bridgewater, NJ

RELOCATION HELP!

Asked by sarahkelly28, Bridgewater, NJ Fri Oct 12, 2012

My family will be relocating from Fairfield, CT to NJ. My husband will be working in Summit and is looking for a commute under 30 minutes. We have 2 young children and are looking for a safe family friendly area with a great school district. We are looking in the upper $400,000 range. Any advice would be helpful in finding towns we should be looking at as well as a realtor.

Answers

21
Sarah - since you asked this back in October....and if you're still here reading this - where did you wind up?
I was in Long Hill Township ( Gillette | Sterling | Millington) yesturday showing in the high 4's and low 5's, there some nice properties on the market. Since you do not require a train line i would suggest you look west to 287 in Hunterdon | Somerset Counties. Hope this helps. Martha
Hi....I would Try Maplewood........New Providence..........Springfield...Millburn......Mountainside, South Orange.............
..Summit is wonderful, however the price point you are comfortable with may be difficult in Summit..

All the best......

Diane. Agent. 732 859 2376
Hi
There is currently a 3 bedroom townhouse-end unit in Chatham Township listed at $450k that I can show you.
H Sarah...My family moved to Summit eighteen months ago and love it....Your price point that you are comfortable with may not find you a home in Summit that you like..,there are many other communities surrounding Summit tha may interest you...Maplewood , ,mMillburn, South Orange Chatham, West Orange etc.
Good luck, if I can be help lease let me know,,

Thanks...Diane
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
Hi Sarah,
Just wanted to add Florham Park to the list. If you are still searching...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087239639044416580457801…

ARMIN LUSINYANTS
E-mail: alusinyants@weichert.com
http://www.MoveOutorInwithArmin.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
Hi Sarah

Since I am a little late to the party, and you already received a number of good suggestions, I won't take up time repeating what has been shared.

I will simply suggest Livingston and New Providence as 2 good starting points for several reasons - both offer great schools (check any criteria available online), good town recreational opportunities.......and, just as importantly, offer comfortable homes in your price range.

In addition - they are in very close proximity to Summit.

In my opinion.......you're propbably better off looking at the closest towns first....you can always add to your search and extend the distance once you get an area tour and a feel for the first few towns.

Please visit my website where I have a number of links to town information......hope you find them useful!

Best wishes......and welcome to NJ !

Debbie Rose

Prudential NJ Properties
http://www.DebbieRoseSells.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
sarahkelly28,

To answer your question about Bridgewater and Princeton,
depending on your actual beginning and ending points from Summit to Bridgewater, the commute may take you exactly 30mins give or take. But your commute to Summit from Princeton which is even further out will be alot longer around 50mins.

Both areas have some well ranked schools and possible homes within your budget.
I am open to further ellaborate on these areas if need be.

Laquita Baez
Licensed Realtor in NJ and GA
Weichert Realtors
973.687.7095
Hi Sarah,

While I am a local Realtor in NJ I also relocated here in 2000. I am familiar with Summit and the surrounding towns where I believe you will find many options for your family to relocate. This area of NJ is really focused on family life which I think you will love. I have personally lived in many of these towns (Chatham, Westfield, Cranford, etc) and would be happy to help you navigate the areas. Please feel free to email or call me I'd love to help you! If you wanted to email me what you are looking for in your new home I'd be happy to make specfic town suggestions and also email you listings. Good luck!!

Tanya Papandrea
cell (908) 377-2554
tanya@trghome.com
.By the Way, communities along the 78 corridor would probably be wonderful for you. New Providence, which is next door to Summit has been rated #1 in New Jersey. This is where I live!

Would you like to view some homes on line?

Ellen Gendel
egendel@comcast.net
908-347-7798
Hi Sarah:

Saw your info on trulia & would be happy to assist you. I have been a real estate professional in the Summit area for more than 20 years & helping families relocate here is one of my specialties.
Great family living is what our area is all about. Top notch schools, family friendly towns, abundant activities, terrific shopping & exceptional commute is what we have to offer.

When would you like to come for an area tour to check out our towns?
Ellen

Ellen Gendel
Team Leader
Gendel Homeselling Team
908-347-7798
egendel@comcast.net
http://www.topnjhomes.com
Hi Sarah, there are a number of very nice communities along the 78 corridor that would fit the bill - allow a 30 min or under commute and provide well respected schools. Among them: summit itself, New Providence, Berkeley Heights, Chatham, Madison, Basking Ridge, Long Hill, Bridgewater, Warren, Watchung...

Here is a sampling of homes that are actively listed now in some of these communities:
http://emailrpt.gsmls.com/public/show_public_report_rpt.do?t…

Just click on the MLS # to see the full listing details.

I'd be happy to assist you in Union, Morris and Somerset Counties.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Summit is a wonderful town, my son moved there last year...Your price point that you at comfortable with may prevent you from living there, however you could try Springfield, Msplewood, Millburn, West Orange, and perhaps New Providence....I am from that area originally and those towns are lovely.....try Summit first and see what is available.

Diane Van Vliet
I lived in Westport and Southport before moving to South Orange New Jersey and know you and your family will find many welcoming neighborhoods, as I did when, all within an easy commute into Summit.
If you will contact me with a little more specifics about your "need to have" and "would like to have" items in your home, I will return not only the current active listings for you and your husband to browse through, but a little bit of insider information about some of those towns in and around the Summit area. Your choice of text/phone or email work just fine for me.
Welcome to NJ!
Laura Auer, Weichert Realtor, Maplewood, NJ
908 577-7821
laura.auer1@verizon.net
Dear Sarah, we welcome you to consider The NJ Property Brothers in Summit/Short Hills. Did you know Meryl Streep was born here? The Summit are is home to the the NJ Center for Visual Arts and the renowned Short Hills Mall and Paper Mill Playhouse, to name a few. To get the most houuse for your dollar near here, you might want to consider Berkeley Heights, Mountainside, Gillette and Morris Township.

My brother Tom and I would love to preview properties for you, give you a tour and share our local expertise and inside knowledge of the current real estate investment market.

Please visit our website http://www.njpropertybrothers.com or email us at james.waddell@cbmoves for more great information.

All the best, JP & Tom
Hi Sarah,

What an exciting tme for you and your family! I am a Prudential New Jersey Properties Relocation Specialist and help many families relocate to New Jersey. I would suggest Summit, Springfield, Livingston, Westfield, New Providence and Berkeley Heights to start your search. All an easy commute to Summit and with fine schools, activities, shopping and restaurants. You need to come out for a tour of the towns that you may consider. Spend some time and get a feel for each town and what it has to offer. Take your children to the local parks and speak to other parents that live in the area. It would be my pleasure to send you town information, etc. and I would be happy to take you on a guided tour of the towns to familiarize you with the towns and what type of housing is available in your price range. Each has a different appeal. You can see my profile and client recommendations right here on Trulia.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Carol Eisenstein
Prudential New Jersey Properties
carol.eisenstei@prudentialnewjersey.com
973-879-3282
What about Bridgewater and Princeton?
NJ, like CT has very good public schools, the resources mentioned below are excellent. Since your husband is not commuting into NYC, towns that are not on a train line ( midtown direct & Peapack Gladstone) and are further west of NYC will be your best bet as far as value is concerned.
Sarah

There are many good options for you within 30 minutes of Summit. Im very familiar with all the surrounding towns, schools and activities. Not only am I a local realtor, in my previous career I've been relocated several times so I personally know what it's like.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Dave Labush
Cell 732-687-4243
Hi sarahkelly28, Summit is a fine area in NJ with superb housing, high ranked schools and a walkable downtown area great for getting to know your fellow locals and dining/shopping options. Similar choice areas I can suggest to you is Livingston, Morristown, Berkeley Heights, Madison, Springfield.... I mean there are soo many housing options!
A Realtor can guide you with finding the best area and housing within your desired criteria and options.
I'm open to further discuss your relocation ventures with you as my office is in Summit as well.
Relocating to a new state doesn't have to be stressful, but adventurous and exciting!!!

Laquita Baez
Licensed Realtor in NJ and GA
Weichert Realtors Summit
973.687.7095
Congratulations on your move! There are many towns within 30 minutes of Summit that fit your criteria. Berkeley Heights,New Providence,Cranford, Scotch Plains are just some of the lovely communities with great schools and a good selection of homes in your price point. Feel free to call me for more details. I
Gina Suriano Barber
Coldwell Banker
(908) 917-4577
http://www.GinaSellsNJHomes.com