Home Buying in Glenview>Question Details

johnkhat, Home Buyer in Skokie, IL

Questions about living by a freight train line?

Asked by johnkhat, Skokie, IL Thu May 23, 2013

There is a house for sale near a freight train line, my wife and I visited the home a couple times and during both visits a freight train happened to pass by. The noise was bearable and something we believe we could tolerate. We have been considering purchasing the home but were looking for insight and opinions in regards to living near a freight train. Also we are concerned that future resale would be tough.

Answers

6
Hi Johnkat,

It sounds like you are excited about the house despite the proximity to the train. If you feel that the noise is bearable (and remember, you will be living with this for however long you live in the house), then I think that is most important.

As for the future, think of it this way. There is a current owner, you may be the future owner...both of you weighed the pros and cons and considered the house anyway. I think it is safe to say there is one buyer out there who has the same thoughts...it may take a little longer, but it will happen.

Good luck, I know this is not an easy decision.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Jen Waldman
Coldwell Banker Glenview
312.375.9706
coldwellbankeronline/jenwaldman
Hi Johnkhat,

Thank you for asking a very good question! Since you and your wife both experienced the freight train passing by while you were at the home and you think it would be tolerable, then it probably will be. In terms of resale, I believe there will be some market resistance to this home but that is probably reflected in the price now and will be in the future as well. It might take a little longer to sell but it eventually will. The most important question to ask yourselves is if you believe YOU will enjoy living there. If the answer is yes, then it should work out just fine.

Good Luck and if you'd like to discuss it further, give me a call!
Kate Barnett
Realtor/Coldwell Banker
847-858-9262
Hi There Johnkhat,
We could probably agree that having a freight train that runs very close is not a selling point for a home for most people. That said, if it is something that doesn't bother you, the pricepoint of the home may be more favorable compared to other homes that are not as close to the train. Your agent should be able to give you a better idea of home prices in the area along with market times. You may already have seen yourself how the prices compare.

Future resale may be tougher, it just depends on if there are any homebuyers at the time like yourself, that don't mind it so much. There are many homes that are close to trains. People have bought them before, and will buy them again in the future. It may be a deterrent to some, but in the future when selling the home, you keep that in mind by pricing the home accordingly keeping in mind that there is a train nearby.

Paul Cionczyk| Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage |Broker
312-433-9931 | PaulCionczyk.Broker@gmail.com |PaulCionczyk.com
Web Reference: http://www.paulcionczyk.com
Hello

I think you might be talking about crown, crown is a nice home and I have been in the house when the train passed. .. I feel isnt bad... but please keep in mind that something that is fine for you might not be fine for other people. ..
Nick,

You are correct, it is the Crown home. Can i ask you what your personal opinion of the home was? would you recommend the home?
Flag Thu May 23, 2013
I recently listed and sold a home that backed up to a freight line. The family had lived there 18 years and had made a few upgrades to help offset that, such as upgraded windows to help reduce noise inside the home, and extra insulation in the wall that faced the tracks. There were buyers who were just not interested in being so close to the train, but the homeowners kept the home in beautiful condition and ultimately we had several buyers who were interested. It was helpful to buyers when we could give them a rough train schedule and assure them that since it was a freight line that was not crossing any roads nearby, there were no whistles. We sold the home to a family who loved it despite the tracks.
I hope this is helpful!
Sue Stalzer
Baird and Warner
630-345-7767
http://www.suestalzer.bairdwarner.com
Johnkhat,

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees on future resale values. However, remember, you and your wife like the home and are considering buying it from someone else. See if the seller will allow you to visit the home and be in the house while a train is passing by. Also, are the trains 24/7 or just during the daytime, some tracks have speed and horn limitations through cities starting at certain times call your local city to find out if any such ordinance has been passed.

Mark Baysden, AICP
817-823-8787
Ready Real Estate

visit us at Readyrealestate.com
We have visited the home during a train passing and felt it was tolerable. I think I am just afraid of the future and delays if I wanted to sell in the future.
Flag Thu May 23, 2013