Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Questions about buying your first home? Join our Twitter Chat!

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Tue Aug 21, 2012

Lots of questions come up when you're buying your first home, and we're here to help. Join our Twitter Chat with Trulia's Real Estate Realist, Tara-Nicholle Nelson, on August 28th at 12PM PDT. We'll walk you through tips to buy your first home, 140 characters at a time. Track the conversation using #TruliaChat.

You can learn more about the Twitter Chat on our corporate http://corp.truliablog.com/2012/08/21/trulia-twitter-chat-fo…

Share the questions you want answered in our Twitter Chat in the thread below.

Answers

36
I am 41 and never owned a home in my life. The whole experience is freaking me out. I want to buy a house in the SF Bay area and I don't even know where to start. how much can I afford to pay for the house ? when do I start looking ? Just overwhelmed with the idea.
What will my interest rate be and will this interest rate change at all during the course of the loan? nervous and excited to see what I will learn tomorrow.
Jake,
Hi there! Your interest rate depends on many factors such as your type of loan you will be getting,your credit score,etc.The interest rate could change depending on what type of loan you get.For instance, an adjustable rate mortgage flunctuates.I would suggest you asking your lender when you go to get a mortgage if your interest rate could change.Make sure it doesn't by reading your papers you're signing.Good luck!
Flag Thu Sep 27, 2012
I'm looking to buy my first home in USA in Miami Florida, so I have big question about this:
-what are the steps to buy a home after I found the perfect home in the trulia app and call the contact listed, what's next?
-what are all the cost that came with the process and after buying the house?
-what taxes can I expect for a house in fontainebleau, Miami dade , and in the doral city in Miami ?
Do I qualify for a grant as a first time homebuyer
Can i buy a home after claiming bankruptcy
Hi there Jimmy116,
In our area yes you can after the 3 yrs from the time you filed elapses with of course no bad credit,good credit score and some type of income and little to no debt.
Lots of luck and Best wishes!
Angela Gardner, Realtor
Waldron Realty-777 Hwy 71 South
Waldron,Arkansas 72958
http://www.waldronarkansasrealty.com

In my area, you could after 3 year elapses from the time you filed if of course you have no bad credit, good credit score,some type of monthly income and little to no debt.Good Luck to you!
Angela Gardner, Realtor
Waldron Realty-777 Hwy 71 South
Waldron,Arkansas 72958
http://www.waldronarkansasrealty.com
Flag Thu Sep 27, 2012
What type of grants are available for first type buyers? No loans. For home repair?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
How do I know if my broker is doing a good job? I think she is, but how do I know if I don't really have a lot to compare it to except for hearsay, ya know?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
What is the difference between a "Buyer's Agent" and a "Seller's Agent"? Why should I work with a "Buyer's Agent"?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
Hi there Jeff,
A buyer's Agent works/represents for the BUYER'S best interest whereas the Seller's Agent works/represents for the SELLER'S best interest.Hope this helps!
Flag Thu Sep 27, 2012
How do I go about finding a mortgage?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
Sounds like a great service. Is the service available 24-7, or just at certain scheduled times?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 26, 2012
The Twitter Chat is tomorrow at 12pm PDT, hope you can make it!
Flag Mon Aug 27, 2012
Baaad credit how can I get a loan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 24, 2012
How do i knowing Im ready to buy
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 23, 2012
what would be better for me a home with HOA fees or without?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 22, 2012
I am a first time homebuyer with an average credit score, 2 student loans (paying and current with no lates), one line of credit (only a third of it used). However, I don't have anywhere near 3% of a loan for downpayment saved. I have 3 kids and my money goes to their well being. There's just nothing left after groceries, daycare, etc. to save. Are there any programs available for downpayment and closing cost assistance or is it unheard of to ask for seller's assist as a % or flat rate?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 22, 2012
why is credit score so important when you have high income and low debt?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
What are key features that help increase the resale value of a house when it comes time to sell? (Or things to avoid)

I've heard of: living near schools, purchasing a newer home (how old is too old?), near developing areas, a "nice" kitchen, etc.

This is from the perspective of someone buying their first home (single) and wanting to buy a house that other people will like in the future.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
An experienced Realtor will be a great match for a first time home buyer to be able to guide a buyer/s to attain a succesful closing..
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 21, 2012
I'm interested in either renting or buying my first home. How can I go about getting an FHA loan?
Should we look at getting our Mortgage insurance through a third party or get it at the title company?
What are the staple requirements of obtaining a pre-qual/pre-approv letter from a bank?
Is a home inspection required/needed for a home under construction? How do you write it in the contract if the home will not be finished during the 10-day inspection period?
How will I know I am not overpaying for the property? That worries me a lot!
I'm Liz. I'm interested in buying my first home in the Evergreen Park or Oak Lawn, IL area. How can I get financing through FHA?
Is the seller required to install window guards??
first step is to locate a mortgage broker.

jarod grob
im looking for a housethat got four bed rooms and 1 bath please in ahens as low as 1,000 dollors send me more at tirellglenn@yahoo.com
This would be a perfect request to add to Trulia Voices, http://www.trulia.com/voices
Flag Mon Aug 27, 2012
What are all the costs associated with buying a house? Thanks.
HI i need someone to speek spanish please,,,,it is posible.pardon i dont speak very well.marcela.
Are there grants available for first time home buyers even if you use a 203k loan
after a short sale how long it take to buy a other house.
What is the likelihood of applying for and being granted an FHA loan for a recent college grad and a current college student who are cosigning together with average credit?
If a house is listed for $249,000, what is considered a good offer? Is there a formula when bidding?
look for some sold comparables near the home your interested in and go from there so you will see whats a fair price and not over pay.Good luck!
Flag Thu Sep 27, 2012
80% of the listing price is a fair offer!
Flag Wed Aug 22, 2012
How much does the bank pay to fix up foreclosed homes
banks don't fix up foreclosed homes. The bank wants to get rid of the property as quickly as possible.
Flag Wed Aug 22, 2012
Hi My name is Henri Nomo I'm 38years old from Cameroon but reside in Kazakhstan i want to move and live permanently in USA with my family so that i want buy a house before i arrive in USA i never been in USA before .that is it possible? and how to start that kind of process .and i want buy a house
starting from 50k to 150k .but some peoples said that i need buy house not under 300k is it truth ?
anyway i need more explanation about this situation .
thank you !
need home to buy in broward under 70 K
Outside of the loan, what are my other housing costs ?
Hi Brandon,
You have Home Insurance and possibly PMI Insurance (Private Mortgage Insurance if financing through a bank) that insurance is getting a loan for more than 80% of the loan.If you put down at least 20% down of purchase price, you would'nt have PMI added onto your monthly mortgage payment (principal,interest and taxes and Home Insurance) and also Closing costs are a big factor to add in for housing costs.You can get those cost by calling the Title Company in your area if you know your purchase price/range.
Lots of luck and Best wishes!
Angela Gardner, Realtor
Waldron Realty-777 Hwy 71 South
Waldron,Arkansas 72958
http://www.waldronarkansasrealty.com
Flag Thu Sep 27, 2012
Brandon,

Some common expenses are HOA dues, taxes, and variable fees associated with maintaining a home. You are on the right track to figure out all costs associated with homeownership.

I wish you the best!

Mike Brownstead
REALTOR
Ebby Halliday Realtors
Plano, TX
Flag Tue Aug 21, 2012