Queen11210, Other/Just Looking in 11210

Question regarding move out date for current resident and Inspection Question .

Asked by Queen11210, 11210 Fri Dec 11, 2009

I’m in Brooklyn and our agent told us that if we buy a particular property, the current resident has 3 months to move out of that property, Is that true? Also they are telling us to skip the inspection.. seems fishy to me, should I worry?

Answers

6
If you are buying a home you should definitely get an inspection so you know what your're buying. The inspector is there to check the plumbing, heating, roof, electric and the foundation of the home. If there are tenants in the property usually before you go to contract you can find out if any units will be delivered vacant or not. If no vacancies then you need to know if there are leases and if so when they end. If the tenants remain and you agree to that in the contract then it will be up to you to end leases or go through the eviction process if the tenants refuse.

I hope this answer helped you.
Web Reference: http://www.KandHhomes.com
Hi Queen,

Not sure about the laws in NY pertaining to current residents. Your current agent may or may not know the laws but certainly isn't a lawyer in any case.

All that aside, if an agent of mine provided me with advise that is clearly against my best interests, I'd fire him or her on the spot. I'd recommend that you fire that idiot, and start interviewing agents that are highly experienced and understand that their job is to help you and protect your interests.

That you are here asking these questions tells me that you are already highly suspicious of him. Trust that instinct!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 13, 2009
Hi Queen.......

In regard to the current resident having 3 months to move out - is that after you purchase the home?? Is the resident a tenant?? If so, they may be honoring the lease.

If the resident is the owner, then I don't understand why they would have 3 months to move out after the closing.
Perhaps your agent was simply telling you that the sellers NEED 3 months to move out BEFORE the closing can take place. I have a feeling that is what the agent was trying to explain.

Why not clarify this with your agent.......ask for a clear explanation.

As far as inspections go.......absolutely have an inspection. I have no idea why any agent would suggest you buy a home without one. Under the circumstances, rather than ask your agent, perhaps you should also ask your attorney for a recommendation.

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Don't skip any inspections. You aren't buying a cookie or a doughnut! Even if everything looks fine to you, let a licensed home inspector look it over for you. It isn't a waste of money. You can start thinking about skipping an inspection when you are on your third home and you know more of what's going on. Even then it won't be advisable.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 12, 2009
Moving time can be negotiated at time of contract. Ant agent who tell you to skip a inspection is not acting in your best interest at all he is working for his best interest. For a free book on buying real estate go to http://www.brooklynrealestateblog.com/?p=587 without obligation

Charles D'Alessandro
Fillmore Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 11, 2009
Dear Queen11210:

Most of the time when a real estate deal is made involving tenants, the seller cannot guarantee that the apartment will be vacant unless it is actually vacant. Sometimes if the buyer gives the seller a great offer, the seller may guarantee vacancy figuring that they will make sure the tenant gets out even if they have to pay them money. I have made several deals where the seller gave the tenant $5,000 to $10,000 just to make them go away.

There is no law that categorically states that a tenant must move out in three months or any other time frame, although you are required to give a tenant a thirty day notice before asking them to leave. However, this does not mean that they will! The only way the tenant is required to leave is if the landlord and the tenant have been in court over the issue and the court ordered them to leave within that time frame. Even in that circumstance there could be further delays if the tenant does not move out in time. If there was a legal case, you want to get copies of all the paperwork pertaining to the case and have your lawyer review them to see what the facts are.

With regard to the inspection, I have been a real estate agent for 17 years now and I cannot recall ever telling a buyer not to do an inspection. I have had times when I buyer told me that they did not need an inspection, but that was by their choice and usually would be the case if the home appeared to be in ABSOLUTELY perfect condition or if the buyer was a professional inspector themselves! To me it is a scary notion for a buyer to not do an inspection! The inspection is not required by law, but it is always in the buyers best interest. Like they say..."caveat emptor!" So it does seem fishy to me and I think you should worry.

Also, make sure you have a good lawyer that you find yourself, not that these "fishy" people recommend to you!

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know and good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665