Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Question of the Day: What makes a great buyer's agent

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Thu Mar 8, 2012

How does a home buyer identify a great agent? What are some key things he/she does?

Note: Trulia Question of the Day is popular question being discussed in other markets. We'll featured best answers in consumer monthly digest. Please send any feedback to voicesfeedback@trulia.com.

Answers

4
I think that there are 2 characteristics that make a GREAT buyers agent. 1. Honesty, and 2. Consistency...We are not in business to tell people what they want to hear, we need to tell them the truth! The purchases being made are huge investments. In addition to being honest, consistency is the number one complaint I hear from former clients of other agents. It doesn't matter whether the news is good, bad, or non existent, KEEP YOUR CLIENTS IN THE LOOP!

Have a great day,

Hillary Nash McAuley
Nash Holdings Co.
Exit Elite Realty
301..277.3948 o
202.907.7301 c
hillarynash@mris.com
A great buyer's agent educates the buyer and helps bring them down to reality without scaring them away from buying a home. This doesn't pertain so much to a seasoned buyer who is getting back in the saddle again, but it can if it has been a while since they made a home purchase. This is where a first time home buyer really needs to do their homework and pick an agent that does more than just show houses and writes contracts. A great buyer's agent can be someone who just got their license but has educated themselves thoroughly on the area you are interested in, as well as a seasoned professional who grew up in that area. True knowledge trumps simple experience almost every time.

A great buyer's agent finds out what your exact needs are, helps you find a great lender to work with, helps you figure out the best commute for work or school, knows when you should walk away from a house and tells you so, but also knows when to just keep their mouth shut and let you experience the wonderful thing that buying a home can be. Communication should be the number one priority.

:)
Kelly
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 8, 2012
A great buyers agent knows the key to any phenomenal relationship- LISTEN!!! Buyers in today's market are coming from all walks of life and parts of the world. The key is to establish a great rapport and then everything else is simple. A great buyers agent also knows the importance of guiding the client to the right resources so that their buying experience can be a stress free as possible.

Giving the client the names and numbers of good lenders and educating them on why getting Approved for a mortgage is the first step to a fantastic experience. Educating the buyer about the process including the title company, Home Owner Associations, home inspector and what to anticipate with each participant in the process. Helping the buyer to understand all the various cost they may incur and how such things can impact the amount of home they want to afford.

A great buyers agent understands the buyers needs, ask the right questions and exercises patience. These are core fundamentals to ensuring that the buyer gets top notch service and would recommend you to their family and friends.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 8, 2012
I think that a great buyer agent helps the buyer from start to finish by giving them lots of information about the buying process, referrals to great mortgage resources, title companies, and inspectors, and plenty of support and time to make decisions. I tell my clients that this is all about them. I will never push them to make a decision but I will be there to help them sort out all the conflicting information that the market provides 24-7. I also think it is important for the buyer agent to listen to what the buyer is saying ( and sometimes what is not being said) so that the agent can help the buyer refine the search criteria and move forward to a home buying decision. Finally great buyer agents are agents for life - for the long term and for all the different phases of the buyer's life changes. I love working with buyers so if anyone needs a buyer agent in he DC metro area, please call me!
Web Reference: http://www.lisehowe.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 8, 2012