Home Buying in Palm Springs>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Question of the Day: What makes a great buyer's agent

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Thu Mar 8, 2012

How does a home buyer identify a great agent? What are some key things he/she does?

Note: Trulia Question of the Day is popular question being discussed in other markets. We'll featured best answers in consumer monthly digest. Please send any feedback to voicesfeedback@trulia.com.

Answers

4
Although I am certified ABR (and ePro, CBPS, REW, SFR, etc) I can't just copy and paste info from an ABR brochure to answer your question. And although I've done the ABR training, I simply don't agree with the ABR philosophy. You see, ABR focuses on a buyer's agent getting a buyer to sign an exclusive agreement so that the buyer must write any purchase offer only with that agent. I like to rely on a buyer's trust to motivate them to use my services.

So what are you looking for in an agent? How about someone who promptly returns your calls and makes an effort to be available to show potential properties? A good buyer's agent needs to be willing to work for your business. And you definitely need a "local" agent. While just about any agent can find properties to show you, a local agent will be familiar with the areas and communities you are looking at.

Also, try to locate a full-time Realtor. You really want to be working with someone who makes real estate a full-time profession. Many agents only do real estate as a secondary job. They are not always as available as they should be to service a client. You just don't want to be put off while your agent finishes their shift at a local restaurant. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 8, 2012
Through REBAC, real estate professionals can hone their skills in representing the needs of home buyers in real estate transactions and earn the coveted Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR®) designation. . 95% of home buyers say that they highly value agent knowledge of those with their ABR® Designee.

Even though buyer representation is now largely available to home buyers across the country, it wasn’t always so. As an advocate of home buyers, REBAC has played a key role in creating that change—helping home buyers receive the same level of representation in real estate transactions that was previously only awarded to sellers.

By effecting substantial changes to the REALTORS® Code of Ethics, REBAC has helped change the way real estate brokerage is conducted across the country, ultimately providing better service to real estate home buyers.

REBAC continues to serve home buyers by providing valuable information resources on the buying process and helping to connect home buyers with qualified buyer’s representatives.

I am have obtained my ABR designation. Contact me if you or someone you know can use my sevices.
Web Reference: http://www.BettyKerr.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 8, 2012
Asking the right questions.
Listening to your client's needs.
Detailing the transaction process
Regular communication.
Good negotiating skills.
Resolution of issues
Creative thinking.
Alleviating your client's concerns
Exceeding your client's expectations
Familiarity with the local real estate market

These are just a few that immediately come to mind.

Antoinette Hamilton
760 808-1128
Windermere Real Estate
DRE #00813684
http://www.YourPalmSpringsAgent.com
http://www.SmartRealEstateDecisions.com
Let's keep it simple. Anything I know about the neighborhood, recent sales, local problems, traffic, the home itself gets revealled. I am working for you, just like I was buying the home myself.

Recommendations on price, strategy, and timing are all things you can expect. There is no magic formula, just hard work, thoroughness and a pleasant, helpful attitude works best.
(760) 219-2912
Peter Walsh