Home Buying in Louisville>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Question of the Day: What makes a great buyer's agent

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Thu Mar 8, 2012

How does a home buyer identify a great agent? What are some key things he/she does?

Note: Trulia Question of the Day is popular question being discussed in other markets. We'll featured best answers in consumer monthly digest. Please send any feedback to voicesfeedback@trulia.com.

Answers

4
A great buyer’s agent will take you step by step through the real estate process from finish to the closing table and beyond. They will be one step ahead of items that are to be done. Example - checking on appraisals, requesting home inspection reports, termite inspections, etc. they are able to foresee possible issues that may arise and deal with those appropriately. They meet the need of clients. They are listening to their client’s needs and wants and then able to weed through properties to find the property that meets their clients’ needs and wants with the best possible fit. I love working with buyers. I get to experience the excitement of a family living the american dream..
Kim Kramer
5026457739
kimkramerhomes.com
I would add to experience, communication, empathy, market knowledge and all the other things expected from a competent agent: creativity in problem-solving and persistence.

Many buyers can be very demanding, and I find in order to make it to the closing table sometimes you have to be able to make things happen that aren't in the book. And never give up.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 8, 2012
It's hard to top Kim's answer, but I will add a few things that a buyer's agent should NOT do.

A buyer's agent should be persistent, but not pushy. I was once told that a buyer selected me because I gave her the information she asked, but nothing more, unless I thought it was really important--and she really liked that.

Also, a buyer's agent should not be trying to make the most commission possible out of a sale. Someone once asked me, "Why should I hire you when you are trying to get me to pay the highest price for a house?" I explained that if my bread and butter was maximizing the most out of opportunities for commission, then I would not have that many opportunities for commission.

My bread and butter is to make my buyer happy enough to refer me to other buyers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 8, 2012
A great buyer's agent is willing to do what other agent's can't or won't do in terms of going the extra mile to provide you with superior service. It really is just that simple.