Home Buying in Indianapolis>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Question of the Day: What makes a great buyer's agent

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Thu Mar 8, 2012

How does a home buyer identify a great agent? What are some key things he/she does?

Note: Trulia Question of the Day is popular question being discussed in other markets. We'll featured best answers in consumer monthly digest. Please send any feedback to voicesfeedback@trulia.com.

Answers

5
Someone who can put him/herself in your shoes. Moving is the third most stressful thing after death and divorce. I have been doing this for 43 years and each person I help is different, yet I can appreciate the strain this has on anyone (having done it myself several times really helps to understand). Even something pleasant such as buying your first home, getting a promotion so you you can own your dream home, or scaling down because you are retiring, causes stress. I get it. Patience and understanding are the trademarks of a good agent, who hopefully will be a good friend throughout the process and throughout life. Best wishes to you on your search.
Sometimes there is just a connection. Obviously you would want someone who is knowledgeable. I am readily available for all my clients. Getting back to them quickly with answers to questions. Listening to their likes and dislikes. And, I put them in touch with a lender if they don't have one. Getting pre-approved is very important these days. Best of luck in your search!!
A great buyer's agent puts the buyer's best interest first, middle and last when working with them!

Finding their next home should be a fun experience as well as an educational process for the homebuyer and it is a good realtor who can make it fun while educating their buyer on the crazy market we are dealing with.

For me it is important that the buyer understands the entire process so while we are looking at homes we are discussing the negotiation process, inspections, appraisals as well as the unique items associated with buying foreclosures and short sales. I want the buyer to feel comfortable with the process so when we reach each stage we can focus on the issues.

I love working with homebuyers because when they find the home that is right for them I usually see
an expression on their face much like a child when handed a special gift they have always wanted! That bright-eyed excitement is what it is all about!
A good buyer's agent needs to be a great listener and a super sleuth. Understanding what the buyer wants/needs and then finding it for them, that is it in a nutshell.
A great agent is able to get their client the buyer to self discover. The agent can not be afraid to ask questions. Than the agent needs to be able to explain the process clearly. Someone that can explain the market and help explain the options the buyer has to choose from. All and all communication is most important. Plus trust you must feel comfortable and trust the agent you choose.