Home Buying in El Paso>Question Details

Trulia, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Question of the Day: What makes a great buyer's agent

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Thu Mar 8, 2012

How does a home buyer identify a great agent? What are some key things he/she does?

Note: Trulia Question of the Day is popular question being discussed in other markets. We'll featured best answers in consumer monthly digest. Please send any feedback to voicesfeedback@trulia.com.

Answers

3
Having an agent who listens is the best part of a good real estate agent. Your agent needs to understand a clear picture of what style of home you are looking for as well as the lifestyle you want to live in that community. These are a few questions I ask my clients when they are searching for a home:

Where do you work?
Are your children used to a "Summer's Off" School or a "Year-Round" School?
Is it more important to be close to your work or something else for living?
Do you mind commuting to get to work and how much time is acceptable for communting?
Do you have any hobbies or special interests that you want to be close to with your new home?
What do you like to do on the weekends or with your spare time?
How close do you want your new home to be to that activity?
Do you need any special rooms or areas in the home for your family? (Ex: Large Backyard, Pool, Walk to a park, etc.)

Addtionally, I ask my clients to describe their ideal home to me. I ask them to include all of the pieces of the home they would like to fit in the house. Then I ask them which of those items are neccessary and which items are optional. This gives me a good idea of the style of home to start looking for for my clients.

I am not only finding you a new home to live in, but I am also finding a new community that would be suit your lifestyle and interests. The perfect house is not perfect if it miles away from what you love to do, unless you are willing to drive. And in the end, you are going to live there, not me, so you need to be happy to 'Hang Your Hat' in that new home.

You also want an agent who is completely versed handling problems that may come up with purchasing a home. Most of the time if there is a problem with the real estate transaction, your agent takes care of it before the client even knows it's there. Having an experienced and professional agent can make a huge difference with handling problems, should they come up. Your agent's ability to help remedy issues can make the difference between a wonderful home purchase and a stressful home purchase.

Angela Ochoa
Web Reference: http://www.teamochoa.com
A retained buyer's agent shall only work in the best interest of his client (Buyer) instead of his own.

A good buyer's agent needs to know his local market stats (Pricing x area, Absorption rates) as well as each neighborhood's sale history and projected future resale values.

A good buyer's agent will cooperate with the counterpart in a manner that it will not jeopardize the sale for his buyer. He or she is well respected amongst his fellow brokers in the industry and is known to be a fair and hard working member of his MLS community.

Finally and foremost, this buyer's agent needs to know his craft inside out and take his profession extra seriously. Ask for any certifications that he or she might have, that proves that he has taken the time to get educated (e.g. CRS, ABR, GRI, CIPS, CCIM, etc...)
An Agent who is honest and will tell the buyer what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. An agent who listens to the client and who understands what they need and what their home buying goals are. Someone who genuinely cares in helping the buyer find the home that is right for them, and not what will bring the most comission to the agent. An agent who can keep the homesearch organized, especially if you have looked at alot of homes, and who can keep the transaction process as smooth and quick as possible.