A buyer's agent has a fiduciary responsibility to protect the buyers best interests. A buyer's agent will consult and advise the buyer every step of the way through the transaction. They will help the buyer get pre-qualified if they are seeking a mortgage, show properties and negotiate deals for the buyer. They will be present at the inspection of the house and at the closing as well. Again, their job is to help you and protect your best interests. Here are some things to consider when searching for a great buyers agent:
1) He or she must be an expert in the neighborhood you are looking in with a proven track record of successful sales in the area.
2) He or she must be aggressive so as to make sure you are among the first potential buyers to view all new listings that match your search criteria.
3) He or she must be objective and able to communicate effectively even if they beg to differ with your thoughts.
4) He or she must be a super savvy negotiator.
5) He or she must have a smart phone and be available via cell, text and/or email at all times.
6) He or she must be able to show properties at the times you want to view them!
7) He or she must be able to answer any question you have or quickly find the answer to any question you have.
8) He or she must have integrity and professionalism.
9) You have to feel comfortable with your agent and trust them. Without that it simply will not work.
10) If you have a friend or family member who has had a great experience with an agent, as them for the agents contact info.
Just remember, when you are working with a buyer's agent, make sure you know upfront if you are going to be paying their fee or if they will be collecting their fee from the home seller. Just because an agent is representing you as a buyer does not mean that you have to pay the fee. That is discussed/negotiated between the buyer and agent.
Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
A great smile makes excellent buyerâ€™s agent too. :-)